The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old December 24, 2012, 08:09 PM   #26
Eghad

My first was also a Marlin Glenfield bolt action .22LR. IMO the bolt action would be a better choice because you have to focus on getting the shot right instead of being able to put more lead down range in a short amount of time.

NRA Life Member
Old December 24, 2012, 08:30 PM   #27
jimbob86

I started all my kids with bolt .22's ..... at age 8. Your teenagers would be a bit big for the Marlin 15Y's and Savage Cubs my kiddoes picked out.....
Old December 24, 2012, 08:43 PM   #28
Ghost1958

Got my late son a Marlin mod 60 in stainless when he was 6 yrs old. He had many hours of pleasure with it. I still have it and use it as one of our HD weapons. Its been reliable, easy to maintain with no issues. I dont remember exactly what I paid for it but it wasnt much equipped with a scope.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:22 PM   #29
ChasingWhitetail91

I have a couple Marlin semis, one tube fed and one magazine. Not sure the models but both have worked very well for me. You'll get a couple jams here and there with cheap ammunition, but you get what you pay for.
Old December 26, 2012, 03:29 PM   #30
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
I'm reluctant to put a semi auto of any kind into the hands of an inexperienced shooter ! Mostly for safety reasons . A semi auto is always ready to fire the next round , without the shooter doing anything , and until I know that shooter is going to practice muzzle control , first and foremost , along with all the other aspects of safe gun handling , semis are a no no . I have found that the KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) theory works best with greenhorns , it's much easier to teach and learn the basics , with a manually operated firearm !
Old December 26, 2012, 04:43 PM   #31
No1der

Quote:
I'm reluctant to put a semi auto of any kind into the hands of an inexperienced shooter ! Mostly for safety reasons . A semi auto is always ready to fire the next round , without the shooter doing anything , and until I know that shooter is going to practice muzzle control , first and foremost , along with all the other aspects of safe gun handling , semis are a no no . I have found that the KISS ( Keep It Simple Stupid ) theory works best with greenhorns , it's much easier to teach and learn the basics , with a manually operated firearm !
I've all but made up my mind that I'm going to get him a bolt action of some sort. Most likely a magazine fed bolt action rifle that won't cost an arm and a leg. These days everything seems to have suddenly jumped in price due to the possible ban that may be coming in the future on "Assault Rifles" which a .22 isn't but that doesn't keep the prices from being unreasonable all the sudden.

I agree, a semi is something to think about in a year or two once he learns about rifles and guns in general and has had some experience to using and caring for a rifle.

As for me, this little venture into pricing guns and looking at .22s specifically has made me realize that I really want the 10/22 for some odd reason. Unless prices are completely insane I might just pick one up for myself. I guess I can use it for rodents, target practice and home defense. I really don't have hardly any rifles because I mostly have various pistols but variety is the spice of life.
Old December 26, 2012, 05:02 PM   #32
JimDandy

Buy him the bolt, buy yourself the 10/22 with the understanding that after he "walks" when he learns to "run" the 10/22 goes to him for THAT Christmas...
Old December 26, 2012, 07:25 PM   #33
No1der

Quote:
Buy him the bolt, buy yourself the 10/22 with the understanding that after he "walks" when he learns to "run" the 10/22 goes to him for THAT Christmas...
@Jim
Wow, you are good! That could be the smartest thing I've ever heard anyone say, ever. I'm not kidding, that is a brilliant solution... THANK YOU!
Old December 27, 2012, 12:50 PM   #34
JimDandy

Thank you. I'm humble enough to say "Pshaw!" and human enough to bask while noone is looking.

Edit: I'd also be prepared for him to decide he likes the bolt action part better than the 22LR part and you'd end up keeping the 10/22 and getting him a Bolt action 243/270/300/etc instead.

Last edited by JimDandy; December 27, 2012 at 01:12 PM.
Old December 27, 2012, 01:23 PM   #35
No1der

Quote:
Thank you. I'm humble enough to say "Pshaw!" and human enough to bask while noone is looking.

Edit: I'd also be prepared for him to decide he likes the bolt action part better than the 22LR part and you'd end up keeping the 10/22 and getting him a Bolt action 243/270/300/etc instead.
Jim, you just keep on getting better and better with every post. lol

Seriously, thanks for the suggestion cause you just made both of us very happy. I'm thinking this weekend I'm going to go shopping for his rifles.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:29 PM   #36
JimDandy

Well as long as I can do no wrong, For a "big boy" bolt action, I suggest the Remington 700 BDL if he likes a stock with a little pistol grip. (Not the AR kind, but the wood furniture rifle kind.)

Edit: For that matter, have him try out lots of guns before you buy, both straight stock and pistol grip. They feel different enough one will feel natural, and one won't. Though with no practice under his belt, whatever he uses to start will eventually feel at least close to natural
Old December 27, 2012, 07:51 PM   #37
No1der

Jim, yeah I agree. Best thing is for him to try out different rifles and figure out what feels best to him. It's something that's unique to every person and what might feel right in one persons hands might feel completely out of sorts of another.
Old January 1, 2013, 02:26 PM   #38
ChasingWhitetail91

Have you considered a single shot rifle or shotgun? My first gun was a single shot 16 ga., very easy to clean and manage.
Old January 1, 2013, 05:15 PM   #39
langenc

Since you are not shooting now, at least not much, you should look at CMP.org and the target rifles they are selling, and have been. There are less than probably less that 1000 at the $425 price.

Best gun for the money-ever. A TARGET gun. Wont work too well for squirrel etc.

Tags
ruger .22