The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 25, 2009, 05:53 PM   #1
Randallpink

Mossberg 500 Slugster, Good Deal?

My local Dick's has a Mossberg 500 Slugster 12 G synthetic stock for $250. Do any of you have experience with this shotgun? I have had many Mossbergs and they have been 100% reliable through much mistreatment. I want a slug gun with Rifled Sights for Opening Day (Monday).

Also, can you tell me your opinions on the different sabot slugs available in 3" 12 G?

Much appreciated and Happy Thanksgiving!
Old November 25, 2009, 06:00 PM   #2
buymore

Do they have that combo with the field bbl and the cantileve rifled barrel w/scope on sale right now? They usually run that combo for around $269.99 w/$20 rebate. That is an awesome deal. I would buy the one with just one barrel for that price if they have the combo for $270. I'll see if I can find an ad and see if they have it. they may even have a Black Friday special on it too. I think they usually offer some sort of discount on all regualr priced guns for Black Firday.

I just looked it up...... http://dickssportinggoods.shoplocal....%3dDSG-091126L

it is on sale this weekend for $269.95 with a $20 mail in rebate
Old November 25, 2009, 06:11 PM   #3
Randallpink

I already have a mossberg 500 so I do not have a need for the combo, although it is a great deal. I do not want a cantilever barrel because I will not be using a scope. I hunt in very dense area and prefer iron sights.
Old November 25, 2009, 07:07 PM   #4
buymore

I bought one for my 10 yr old and I put a red dot on it for him. Makes easy heavy cover shots and still gives him a slight advantage over iron sights.

As far as rifled barrels and smoothbore barrels I prefer smoothbore on my brush guns. I wouldn't want to shoot over 75-80 yds with open sights myself and the extra money I would spend on sabots wouldn't be noticed in that range. If you're planning on heavy brush, close range, what's the need of the sabots? Slugs are heavier and alot more punishing on the flesh. Sabots may deflect on twigs and saplings where a standard slug will just plow through it.

I do have an Encore rifled slug barrel and I do use it for wide open areas where I may ge long shots, but I prefer my 1100 and my 1187 smoothbores for driving and short brushy areas. I used the Hornady SST's and this year I'm tryign out the Remington Accu-Tips (both around 385-390 grn. range) I can tell you this, I had a Horndady SST go through a small tree and break into parts and struck a deer in the head last year on a 110 yd shot. I didn't see the tree in my scope, but it was inline with my shot. The deer dropped on the spot, but right in front of where it laid was a tree (about 1 1/2" diameter) with a near perfect hole through it. Only a small fragment of the bullet struck the deer, but it hit right above the eyeball and came out behind the ear. LUCK......I can't say anything but LUCK! Slugs just have a little more....ok quite a bit more OOOMF!