The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 28, 2002, 05:46 AM   #1
copahi

low recoil?

Hi friends:
What is the meaning of "low recoil ammo? less velocity?
Nedd to choose buckshots for my Maverick 24" (HD) for shooting no more than 15 feet distance.
Thanks
Old August 28, 2002, 05:53 AM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A shotgun of standard weight can kick less with ammo that's either lower velocity, lower mass, or both.

At 15 feet, all projectiles hit as a solid mass. Think of it as a 73 caliber Glaser Safety Slug. The Fed database shows no difference in effect, whether the load is 000 buck or 9 shot.

If you're committed to shooting buck, read the Archives for info on various lower recoil ammo.

HTH...
Old August 28, 2002, 11:26 AM   #3
Bruce626

I've tried a couple of different brands of low recoil 00 Buck in my Mossberg 500 and find that the lowest priced one patterns the best in my shotgun (sometimes ya just luck out) .... Estate S.W.A.T 00 Buck.
Old August 28, 2002, 11:38 AM   #4
CZ_

The truth is any large gauge shotgun that is on the light side is going to kick like a mule. My Remington 870 HD kicks the heck out of my shoulder even with low powered birdshot loads. I just accept the fact that shotguns have high recoil and bear it out. As far as the low recoil loads, truth is I can't tell the difference. I think its an interesting marketing ploy, but the "reduced" recoil loads do not reduce recoil enough for me to notice anyway.

One other thing: if your shooting at distances less than 15 feet, you really do not need buckshot. Birdshot loads at room distance cause devastating wounds on humans (they retain pattern well at close range--it essentially hits like a "solid"), and you don't quite get the same recoil as you would with buckshot. I personally use the Federal Personal Defense load (which uses #2 birdshot) in my 12 gauge, and the patterns at room distance are very good.
Old August 28, 2002, 11:50 AM   #5
Bruce626

My standard Home Defense ready load is also the Federal Personal Defense shotshells... the #2 bird is a pretty good sized pellet and as CZ_ says, they pattern well.

I keep six more on the receiver-mounted sidesaddle and then, in case I need heavier stuff (?), I have 5 shells of Estate 00 Buck on my stock-mounted sidesaddle.
Old August 28, 2002, 04:59 PM   #6
Dave R

You can roughly estimate the recoil of a load by looking at its "recipe". You know,

3 1/4 dr. equiv, 1 oz. shot, size 8 shot.

The lower the "dr. equiv." and the lower the oz. in shot size, the less it will recoil.

"Max drams" and 1 1/4 oz (or more) of shot is sure to kick pretty good.

The recipe above is in the middle of the spectrum.

A 7/8 oz. load is on the soft side of the recoil spectrum.

You really will notice a difference.
Old August 28, 2002, 05:36 PM   #7
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Here's a bit of insider trivia about "Serious" shotguns....

Back when the accessorizing craze was first gaining ground, everyone preached the virtues of a mag extension. What was widely known but NEVER talked about was that adding 7-10 oz of weight to a short bbled 870 was cutting the felt recoil 6-10%. Adding a few oz of weight to the stock for balance would drop the kick another 6% or so. When the Side Saddles came out, we all could see the possibilities, and feverishly added another 8 oz.

My HD 870 has it all, runs about 9 1/2 lbs in Ready status. What kick? Heh,heh.....

IOW, if fit and form are good, dropping the mass and speed of the load and/or adding weight to the weapon will take any of the remaining bite away.

However, if fit and form are bad, NOTHING will make a shotgun kick free unless it's taken to the limits, like a 410 size load in a 12 lb cannon.
Old August 28, 2002, 07:04 PM   #8
copahi

This is all what I need. Thanks a lot, my friends