The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 4, 2020, 01:27 PM   #1
triplebike

What to buy? What to buy??

I'm looking for a 9MM handgun similar to my Ruger SR9C (which I love), about the same WEIGHT & SIZE. Can be a single stack. Max I want to spend is $550. I know I can just find another SR9C, but variety is the spice of life right? I have a Walther PPQ M1 that's not going anywhere. Tried the new S&W M&P EZ 9, lasted one day, hated it. Open to any brand EXCEPT Taurus & Glock. Looked at a Sig 365XL, interesting but somewhat iffy reviews. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old February 4, 2020, 01:29 PM   #2
TunnelRat

To perhaps help with recommendations, what was it about the EZ9 you hated?

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old February 4, 2020, 02:23 PM   #3
sigarms228

Have you looked at the M&P 2.0 Compact series? I tried out the 3.6 model and thought it was really sweet but I am already happy with my Glock 19.

I really like the HK VP9 and HK makes a compact model VP9SK but that is probably a bit out of your price range and very similar to your Walther PPQ.

IMO Walther PPS is also worth looking at and the price is right on them these days. I have the original PPS model and really like it a lot and CCW it a lot when I want the comfort of a thin subcompact pistol.

Good luck in finding that new special pistol for you.
Old February 4, 2020, 02:54 PM   #4
triplebike

TunnelRat, The grip safety drove me crazy. When I first fired it was from a sitting position, no problem cycling a round. From a standing position holding the gun just like every other gun I own, the EZ would lock the slide back after the rd fired. I had to manipulate my grip in such an uncomfortable way to keep from locking the slide back. Also it felt like the slide was ready to come flying off the gun after every rd fired. Slide felt very loose and sloppy. Had to adjust the rear sight and it kept coming loose after that, but some lock tight would solve that problem. I really wanted to like it but didn't turn out that way.
Old February 4, 2020, 03:06 PM   #5
triplebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228 View Post
Have you looked at the M&P 2.0 Compact series? I tried out the 3.6 model and thought it was really sweet but I am already happy with my Glock 19.

I really like the HK VP9 and HK makes a compact model VP9SK but that is probably a bit out of your price range and very similar to your Walther PPQ.

IMO Walther PPS is also worth looking at and the price is right on them these days. I have the original PPS model and really like it a lot and CCW it a lot when I want the comfort of a thin subcompact pistol.

Good luck in finding that new special pistol for you.
sigarms, I have a bad taste for the M&P because of the EZ 9. Never been a HK guy, great guns but overpriced IMO. Have heard some good things about the PPS and will take a look. Thanks
Old February 4, 2020, 03:18 PM   #6
TunnelRat

Got it.

I have 500 Rd through my P365XL so far. I have yet to have an issue, and mine was an earlier release. The XL doesn't seem to share the same issues as the standard P365, at least when it comes to the striker.

Old February 4, 2020, 03:45 PM   #7
mk70ss

My next semi purchase will be the Springfield Armory Hellcat.
Old February 4, 2020, 03:52 PM   #8
Fishbed77

A Walther P99c AS is about the same weight/size as your SR9C and is a superb pistol.

If you like the trigger on your PPQ, you will love the P99c AS trigger (the single action mode is even lighter/smoother than the PPQ, and has the same great reset). A bonus is that it can use your PPQ M1 magazines.
Old February 4, 2020, 04:03 PM   #9
jmr40

My 365 has been perfect. I understand there were some issues with the very early models, but mine is new enough to be one with the 1911 style safety which I like.

The XL version was out when I bought mine but I passed. I can use the 10 round mags and it makes a near perfect IWB carry gun and with the optional 12 or 15 round mags fills the same role as the XL.

Winston Churchill
Old February 4, 2020, 04:23 PM   #10
Forte S+W

Question: Why do you want another firearm of equal size/weight to one you already own?

I ask because when most folks shop for a backup gun they go a bit smaller/lighter and when shopping for a Home Defense firearm they're generally willing to go a bit bigger/heavier.

If such were the case, then I would recommend the Ruger EC9s for backup and a full-size SR9(E) for Home Defense.
Old February 4, 2020, 04:38 PM   #11
GarandTd

What about the Mossberg MC1 SC?
Old February 4, 2020, 04:54 PM   #12
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forte S+W View Post
Question: Why do you want another firearm of equal size/weight to one you already own?

I ask because when most folks shop for a backup gun they go a bit smaller/lighter and when shopping for a Home Defense firearm they're generally willing to go a bit bigger/heavier.

If such were the case, then I would recommend the Ruger EC9s for backup and a full-size SR9(E) for Home Defense.
This is an important question, especially when asking for recommendations. Do you want something different that essentially fills the same role, or so you want something to fit a slightly different role fulfilled?

Old February 4, 2020, 04:55 PM   #13
Rhodester

Whatever you do, do not pick up a CZ P-10c or a CZ 75B.

Both will make you think you are a great shot. I have both and love them.
Old February 4, 2020, 04:59 PM   #14
Fishbed77

Quote:
Whatever you do, do not pick up a CZ P-10c or a CZ 75B.

Both will make you think you are a great shot. I have both and love them.
CZs do have a nasty habit of multiplying.
Old February 4, 2020, 05:44 PM   #15
stephen426

I just picked up a Springfield Armory Hellcat and it is a very compelling little gun. It holds 11+1 with the flush fitting mag and 13+1 with the extended mag and the size is almost identical to the Glock 43. The front sight is metal and has a tritium vial (night sight) with a bright yellow surround. The rear sight is also metal and has a U-shaped notch (somewhat similar to Glock's squared outline). The rear sight can be used to rack the gun should it become necessary to do so. I got a great deal on mine from Sportsman's Guide and spread the payment over 4 months. Overall, I'm very pleased with this new purchase and it is an incredible little package.
Old February 4, 2020, 09:38 PM   #16
triplebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
This is an important question, especially when asking for recommendations. Do you want something different that essentially fills the same role, or so you want something to fit a slightly different role fulfilled?

Right now I'm down to two centerfire handguns, PPQ & SR9C. Both are capable of being carried, for home defense and are comfortable range shooters. I also feel that both of these are equally proficient at all three. The SR9C is my newest and has been very impressive. So I guess what I'm looking for is another handgun that fits the same bill. I shoot my guns a lot and enjoy the sport. I also enjoy owning & shooting different brands. I hope this is making sense.
Old February 4, 2020, 09:40 PM   #17
BourbonCowboy

I would definitely take a look at the HK VP9sk. They can be found within your budget, and with a 13-round mag, are the most ergonomically comfortable pistols I've ever shot.
Old February 4, 2020, 09:46 PM   #18
triplebike

Tonight I looked at a CZ P10C , Ruger Security 9 , & Walther PPS. Really liked the CZ.
Old February 4, 2020, 09:59 PM   #19
Carl the Floor Walker

You cannot beat the price of the SR9C. Just a lovely well built gun. In fact one of the best I think ruger has ever put out. Mild shooter for sure. I am not into high round count in a carry gun, and carry smaller single stacks. However if I was, the compact Ruger SR9C is a nice size, a little bit of a concession in weight, but you get a lot. 10+1 magazine and SO easy to switch to a 17 +1 mag. And the prices now are fantastic. For sure under $300.00.

Old February 4, 2020, 10:10 PM   #20
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplebike View Post
Tonight I looked at a CZ P10C , Ruger Security 9 , & Walther PPS. Really liked the CZ.
I really liked my P10-C and am in the process of buying another. If you wanted something closer to the SR9-C, there is also the P10-S.

Old February 4, 2020, 10:24 PM   #21
triplebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by TunnelRat View Post
I really liked my P10-C and am in the process of buying another. If you wanted something closer to the SR9-C, there is also the P10-S.

The "S" is "one pinky finger" too small. The SR9C 's 10 rd with the extra finger lip on the mag makes it a comfortable shooter for me. The P10-C is definitely a top contender.
Old February 4, 2020, 10:32 PM   #22
PatientWolf

How about a CZ P-07?

You might find you like the hammer fired option.
Old February 4, 2020, 10:57 PM   #23
triplebike

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatientWolf View Post
How about a CZ P-07?

You might find you like the hammer fired option.
Had one, nice gun. Also have had two 75BSA's , four 75B's & a Kadet 22 adapter kit. Very familiar with CZ's. Excellent firearms.
Old February 6, 2020, 10:03 AM   #24
rodfac

Here’s another vote for Sig’s P365. I’ve had mine since February of last year, and now have 1200+ rounds through it. It’s been virtually 100% reliable to date.
The gun fits me to a T, and I really like the sights. That green dot really shows up in Daylight, and like other Sigs, the tritium night sites work just fine. The gun is more accurate, I think, then I can hold. I’ve posted here, a picture of a 1 inch 10 shot group, slow fire, shot from a weaver stance at 10 yards. That’s pretty much the limit of my eyes ability to discern the sights. It’s a heck of a gun, and my daily carry piec when heading into town. Hope this helps, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old February 6, 2020, 11:19 PM   #25
osbornk

I have 2 handguns and one rifle where I have another that is similar in size and weight. Like when I had two very similar motorcycles, I have found that one gets used and the similar one gets neglected. Whether you know it or not, you will choose a favorite and use it more than the other one. I think it would be better to get something more different.