The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 14, 2019, 04:46 AM   #51
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4V50 Gary View Post
dgludwig - I've had a Ruger Security Six for over thirty years and it has had thousands through it (my original duty sidearm and went through the academy with it). It's still on its original transfer bar. Difference? Superior Ruger engineering and metallurgy.
That was back when those parts weren't MIM. They're MIM now.
Old December 14, 2019, 04:54 AM   #52
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheapshooter View Post
Or in the case of a a Taurus, Bainbridge Georgia!
Was going to say the same, but I'm not really sure what the situation is with that new facility. Taurus is saying they'll be manufacturing guns, but is that machining parts and assembling guns or assembling guns from parts made in Brazil?

It does appear tho that repairs will be done there tho, so hopefully what that means is the horror stories of Taurus warranty repairs will go away.
Old December 14, 2019, 10:43 AM   #53
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers View Post

It does appear tho that repairs will be done there tho, so hopefully what that means is the horror stories of Taurus warranty repairs will go away.
Ive always looked at that by trying to buy things that have a good record of NOT needing the companys CS department for repairs or anything.

The fact you hear so many complaints about Taurus's CS department alone, I would think would be an indicator to steer clear.

But, apparently, those tantalizing cheap prices keep sucking people in.
Old December 14, 2019, 12:38 PM   #54
dgludwig

Quote:
those tantalizing cheap prices keep sucking people in.
Most everything else being equal, nothing wrong by being "sucked in" by "tantalizing cheap prices". I've bought plenty of good guns over the years because I couldn't pass up a good deal. I look forward to doing more of the same in the future.
Old December 14, 2019, 01:05 PM   #55
AK103K

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgludwig View Post
Most everything else being equal, nothing wrong by being "sucked in" by "tantalizing cheap prices". I've bought plenty of good guns over the years because I couldn't pass up a good deal. I look forward to doing more of the same in the future.
Yea, me too.

But its like those low bids you see come in, that are WAY, WAY off, when everyone else is pretty close, that really give you pause. Really makes you wonder what they missed or left out.

I like a good deal as much as the next guy, as long as it is a "good deal".
Old December 14, 2019, 03:55 PM   #56
TruthTellers

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK103K View Post
Ive always looked at that by trying to buy things that have a good record of NOT needing the companys CS department for repairs or anything.

The fact you hear so many complaints about Taurus's CS department alone, I would think would be an indicator to steer clear.

But, apparently, those tantalizing cheap prices keep sucking people in.
Could make the same argument for Ruger's current revolver QC issues, but it seems most people give them a pass because of their customer service.

My point was hopefully the CS issues with Taurus will be improved thanks in part to this new facility.

Not saying that the existence of said new facility will spur me to buy their 7 shot .357/9mm revolver, but I'm not writing it off either.
Old January 18, 2020, 08:47 AM   #57
Forte S+W

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruthTellers
Was going to say the same, but I'm not really sure what the situation is with that new facility. Taurus is saying they'll be manufacturing guns, but is that machining parts and assembling guns or assembling guns from parts made in Brazil?

I know that I'm posting in a thread that's over a month old, but Taurus USA (a.k.a. Taurus International) does indeed produce firearms domestically, namely those which cannot be imported into the United States thanks to the 1968 Gun Control Act.

In addition, if I understand correctly, while Taurus International is the US importer of firearms by Forjas Taurus of Brazil, as of a few years ago Taurus International is managed and operated separately, and the factory was moved from Florida to Georgia to improve their manufacturing capabilities in order to function more independently of Forjas Taurus. The new factory will supposedly be manufacturing a variety of Taurus firearms domestically, not to mention repairing firearms domestically, thus resulting in faster service/repair of firearms.