The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old June 23, 2017, 11:55 PM   #1
AL45

How to carry a semi-auto

I have had my conceal carry for about a year and half and have always carried a .357 revolver. I decided to go with something lighter and purchased a Sig P238. My question is, should I carry it with the hammer back and on safe, or hammer down and on safe? Thanks
Old June 24, 2017, 01:37 AM   #2
DaleA

Captain Obvious here with no real new news for you.
The ad says the P238 is a SAO 1911 inspired gun so....

Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on.
Old June 24, 2017, 02:13 AM   #3
JoeSixpack

Not familiar with the p238 but after looking it up I agree with Dale.
It's SAO so your only real choice is cocked and locked with one in the pipe just like a 1911.

I mean.. technically you could carry it chambered and hammer down or some variation but I wouldn't recommend it.
Old June 24, 2017, 07:55 AM   #4
MandolinMan

I have the P938 ( basically the same in 9mm) and always carry hammer cocked, safety on. I don't believe that there is any reason to be concerned about carrying this way. The safety is very positive and doesn't disengage accidentally, and the trigger is fairly heavy at around 8 lbs.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:51 AM   #5
T. O'Heir

Round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety on. And in a proper holster, not your pocket or tucked under a belt.
Old June 24, 2017, 01:41 PM   #6
Rob228

I also carry a 938 in the exact way MandolinMan described.
Old June 24, 2017, 01:43 PM   #7
Badgerstate

Id carry it with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked and the safety on. Like someone else said, it was based on the 1911 and thats the way that John Browning designed it to be carried.
Old June 24, 2017, 03:29 PM   #8
cslinger

I think the most important piece of info here is "in a proper holster". Don't just toss it into your shorts pocket with loose change. (That goes for any pocket gun)

But yes, chambered, safety on.
Old June 24, 2017, 07:59 PM   #9
TailGator

I pocket carry a P238 when IWB doesn't work for one reason or another. My wife has another, which is the pistol she carries every day. All carried pistols should have a holster that covers the trigger, in my opinion. The holsters we have for the little Sigs also cover the safety lever. We routinely carry them cocked and locked. The thumb safety clicks on and off quite decisively, and we have never had one move in either direction inadvertently. They are quite safe to carry cocked and locked. If carried with the hammer down, you would have to worry about not only the delay in making the pistol ready, but also about fumbling the cocking motion under stress, since the hammer is fairly small.
Old June 24, 2017, 09:56 PM   #10
chaim

You should carry your auto the way it was designed to be carried.

I have DAO autos that have no safety, are carried with a round in the chamber, and the long heavy(ish) DA trigger is the "safety". They are carried like a revolver.

I have DA/SA autos that have a decocker. Those, you load up with a round in the chamber, use the decocker and you have a DA first shot followed up by SA subsequent shots. No safety is needed as again, you have a relatively long and heavy DA first shot (like a revolver) as a "safety", though some do come with a safety (none I own anymore).

A 1911 or other SAO (like your P238) is designed to be carried, as the others have said, with a round in the chamber, hammer cocked, safety engaged.

Whatever you use, here's another vote for always using a holster when carrying a gun upon your person.
Old June 24, 2017, 11:23 PM   #11
AL45

Thanks for your replies.
Old June 25, 2017, 12:10 AM   #12
Nick_C_S

Go back to carrying your 357 Mag - like me

Heh. But seriously . . .

DaleA in post #2 settled the question.
Old June 26, 2017, 06:53 PM   #13
ARqueen15

Wheel gun is always respectable Besides, gun fights are fun in movies but reality says it will be over in 1 or at most 2-3 shots especially if you take the first shot. Although some will argue your accuracy will go down but then CCW encounters are usually really close range.

With that said though it really is meant to be carried as was described above. And forget carrying w/o a round in the chamber as cracking the slide to put a round in the pipe is way too slow.

I first carried that way some years ago and as an experiment I timed myself and found it was double or more the time it took with one in the chamber.
Old June 26, 2017, 11:09 PM   #14
Bill DeShivs

Guns with hammers were not necessarily "designed" to be carried cocked. The 1911 was designed to be carried hammer down, for example.
The SIG P238 is a copy of the 1950s Star DK. It has an inertial firing pin which makes the gun entirely safe to carry hammer down on a live round. Should you choose this method of carry it is imperative that you train with it. People carried single action guns for a very long time with the hammer down.
The Star design also has an excellent safety system, so cocked and locked carry is safe also.
Old June 27, 2017, 04:53 AM   #15
Kevin Rohrer

The OP needs SAO-specific training w/ that weapon so he can determine that Condition-1 is the appropriate carry mode.

Caveat Emptor: Cavery Grips/AmericanGripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He is a scammer
Old June 27, 2017, 10:37 AM   #16
Brit

A personal observation. Competing in an IPSC match, a big one! Way back, one stage was a real quicky, just 4 shots, 20 points available.

Scenario, your pistol was holstered, my 1913 Colt .45, locked and cocked.
You stood in front of a closed door, in your right hand (My shooting hand) you held a Pizza a 1 foot circle of plywood!
You dropped the "Pizza" opened the door, this triggered two cardboard targets, which were lying down, on their backs, to swing up, and down on their faces.
About two seconds was your exposure time.

I MISSED THE SAFETY CATCH!!!!!!!!!!!!! TARGETS GONE!

Never done that prior to this high pressure panic.
Just like you would experience in a real gun fight! Retired 1911, Glock 17 Hello!

In shooting in NY State Finger Lakes, IPSC, Mike Braun, the Range Master said I could not shoot that pistol, it had no safety catch. "Mike, it is double action only? the trigger COCKS the firing pin" He swallowed that.

1984, introducing the Glock 17 to IPSC. 34 year later, after selling the Glock pistols to the Toronto Police Force! Against my advice, they picked .40 cal.
I now live in the USA, and carry a Glock 19 4th gen, every day!
Old June 27, 2017, 10:39 AM   #17
JoeSixpack

1911 designed to be carried hammer down? really? I mean this is kinda shocking news I've never heard this before and I've never seen anyone carry one hammer down.

What makes you say it was originally intended to be carried down?
Old June 27, 2017, 01:59 PM   #18
DaleA

Hey Joe. This is just an FYI. I posted the way I would carry (round chambered, cocked and safety on) but a lot of military folk on this site have said that back when the 1911 was the standard they had to carry empty chamber, hammer down, safety off. Of course this was not in 'combat conditions'.

The incredible variations we have in this hobby (guns) constantly amazes me.
Old June 27, 2017, 08:42 PM   #19
Bill DeShivs

The 1911 was originally a cavalry pistol. It was to be cocked (and uncocked, if necessary) with one hand.
The gun was designed without a safety. The armed forces requested the safety.
The "cocked and locked" stuff came about in the 1970s with Col. Jeff Cooper and speed shooting the 1911.
A 1911 with round chambered and hammer fully down can be put into action about as fast as a single action Colt, if you practice that way.
I am not advocating either method. Do whatever works for you. Condition 2 requires a lot more practice, and it requires you to safely lower the hammer on a live round. Everyone seems too scared to do that today, but it's what the HAMMER is for!
Old June 27, 2017, 10:21 PM   #20
seeker_two

In a good belt holster, Condition One is recommended. In the pocket, Condition Two is a safer bet.

Sent from my HTC Desire Eye using Tapatalk
Old June 28, 2017, 10:16 AM   #21
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The OP needs SAO-specific training w/ that weapon so he can determine that Condition-1 is the appropriate carry mode.
Also because the OP stated that a revolver has always been their choice for carry, a LOT of training and practice. In order to retrain their entire thinking, and reaction in a stressful situation to switching the safety off.
A DAO pocket gun like a LCP, P3at, or others of that design would have been a better choice, and easier, more reliable transformation. But unfortunatly brand name, and looks may have over shadowed practical consideration.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old June 28, 2017, 10:34 AM   #22
Glenn E. Meyer

Hammer down is a bad way to carry a gun if you have to cock the hammer for a specific gun - like a 1911, etc. The reason is that under stress, the hammer can slip from your thumb and you get an ND.

Drawing from a pocket and cocking the hammer by your thumb is a way to shoot yourself.

This thread is a variant of folks being scared to carry a gun in a condition that it is ready to go.

The two ready to go guns are the striker fired and revolvers. The difference is trigger weight. Learn to master either and get quality carry gear.

The safety on SA guns - like the 1911 - take practice, practice. Yes, folks - even the highly practiced - screw up the safety under stress. One particular risk is deploying the gun in an unusual position or circumstance - that increases the risk of forgetting the safety. An off hand draw or use, picking it up from a box - something that isn't the normal draw stroke and folks can forget the safety.

In Ayoob's new book, there are documented cases of folks who lost the fight because of unchambered guns and forgetting the safety.

In any case, if you trust mechanics to keep you safe as compared to skill and practice, you are making a mistake. Wait till Google or Amazon come out with the self-shooting pistol.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:36 AM   #23
ShootistPRS

drawing a 1911 and cocking with one hand, like one would do with a single action revolver, is fairly safe because the grip safety is not held in. The gun can be safely cocked as it is drawn from the holster and then would fire only when the grip wrapped around the gun.
Old June 28, 2017, 11:52 AM   #24
Glenn E. Meyer

The 938 or 238 don't have a grip safety.

That's what was in the OP, so the 1911 isn't that relevant for the hammer discussion.

My comment on the 1911 was that we see folks missing the safety under stress.
Old June 28, 2017, 01:10 PM   #25
Cheapshooter

Quote:
The two ready to go guns are the striker fired and revolvers. The difference is trigger weight. Learn to master either and get quality carry gear.
Three, Double Action Only hammer fired semi!-auto. P3at, LCP, LC9( not "s" model), Bodyguard, Taurus 738, and I'm sure there are more.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!