The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old October 8, 2010, 02:26 PM   #1
sebou

"REB NAVY 1851" need help

Hello everyone,
I open this post to the attention of all who possess a weapon similar to mine (or have owned).
That in a nutshell, this is my first reply (I had to age 15 years) and for which I am looking for toujurs manufacturer. (This may be because she was mad that jesuis in my search for manufacturers ...)
It is therefore dune replica Italian here is the description:
Open frame revolver (axis seam), bridge deck and frame round handle with brass barrel octog.190mm handlebar ball etched 1 side:
Canon on [b] BWR NAVY 1851 [/ b]
Canon left side above the key barrel. Cal.36
Canon right side punch tests on the console gun
Carcass side left blank
Carcass right side proofmarks patiellement deleted date mark XXIV (1968)
Engaged barrel engraved punches 16 may 1843 events
September 10th 1850 patent
COLT'S PAT No.
No. 03304 (in front of a carcass, before the screw of the lower deck)
Under the Grip Frame MADE IN ITALY (in small print) partially erased.

No. 211 engraved in the grip frame and under the bridge
No. 221 ratchet behind the barrel and under the carcass

Here are some photos:
[Img] http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/11/00/39/58/1851_r10.jpg [/ img]
[Img] http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/11/00/39/58/1851_r11.jpg [/ img]
[Img] http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/11/00/39/58/1851_r12.jpg [/ img]
[Img] http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/11/00/39/58/1851_r13.jpg [/ img]
[Img] http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/11/00/39/58/1851_r15.jpg [/ img]

Sorry for the quality of photos.

Will owners of replicas showing the marking "[b] BWR NAVY 1851 [/ b]" might occur. (This could help me to know who made my reply). Hoping that this phrase is used by one manufacturer ....
Thank you in advance for your contributions.
Seb
Old June 1, 2011, 06:54 AM   #2
sebou

Hi gents,
Ifinally found the manufacturer :
That's Uberti !
The mention marked as the same as the picture is only use by Uberti
REB NAVY-1851-
On the process to reconized the manufacturer, i compare the all of mention named by the manufacturer who made the 1851's replicas.
If this info could help someone...
Seb
Old June 1, 2011, 08:57 AM   #3
junebug_01

Seb,

This spacer doesn't look kosher at all.......

http://i11.servimg.com/u/f11/11/00/39/58/1851_r13.jpg
Old June 1, 2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Tanker6

I agree junebug.....unless the awl has been lengthened, it would appear that there's got to be some problems at the forcing cone.

I'm no expert, so I'll let them chime in......
Old June 2, 2011, 04:27 AM   #5
sebou

Hello,
In fact, I had to add this Spacer because the console had been filed down the barrel, hoping maybe that would be "pressed" to the frame and help the dowels to play their role. This revolver (1968) moves from the axis. The shaft is crimped.
This standoff is therefore intended to fill the void material removed by the file ...
Anyway I do not use it.
I know this is not really well done, but I did this repair 10 years ago with the few tools that I own ...
Old June 19, 2011, 01:08 PM   #6
bprevolver

Brass Frame 1851 Navy

Sebou, are there any markings anywhere else, under loading lever, butt, etc.? This type revolver would fall into the Schneider & Glassick catagory except for the engraved cylinder. I classify this type revolver as a Model 1851 Navy Brass. I just started doing this, thanks to the observations of Wolf Niederastroth. I had previously lumped all brass frame copies of the 1851 Navy with octagon barrels into the Schneider & Glassick, Historic and Non-Historic, the engraved cylinder not being historically correct for a Schneider & Glassick. Wolf informed me that he had never seen a replica Schneider & Glassick advertised. After reviewing my information I found him to be correct with the exception of the High Standard Confederate Arms issues. I started using the Historic or Non-historic catagories twenty years ago and have been doing it ever since.

The EIG Schneider & Glassick was the first replicas of this revolver first appearing in 1962-63 making it among the first importers in the replica revolver industry. I have since gone back through RPRCA collection and re-catagorized the non-historic brass frame revolvers as Model xxxx Brass

After a long winded response to your question, from the markings it would not be possible to determine the maker. The frame has been buffed probably removing other markings. To me this is obvious by the frame markings and the fact that the frame is in much better shape that the barrel. Since, as you know, the brass frame revolvers were produced by numerous small shops in Italy many of which did not mark their guns or have markings that have yet to be identified.
Old July 8, 2011, 05:23 PM   #7
Frontier

To my knowledge Uberti have never made a brass framed Colt replica.

Frontier
Old July 8, 2011, 06:29 PM   #8
Fingers McGee

Uberti did make brass framed revolver replicas of the G&G and one they called the Augusta Confederate. The Augusta Confederate is long since discontinued & the G&G was discontinued in 1994.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS Regulator 28564-L-TG; Rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Charter member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision see things as they are, not as they should be. Ambrose Bierce
Old July 9, 2011, 07:20 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

Uberti made a brass frame .36 51 style revolver that was marketed by Navy Arms. Mine is marked "MOD.1862 REB CONF. CAL .36" with a 1979 date code.
Old July 23, 2011, 03:38 AM   #10
sebou

BP revolver

Thanks to you and the knowledge you had.
The revovler i identified as Uberti because some details are used only by Uberti.
However, it possible i am worth.

The mark sentance " REB NAVY -1851- " shown on severals Uberti's Revolvers
The mark sentance " REB NAVY -1851 " (Without the lastet line) shown on the Uberti & Hege revolvers.
Also, the place of marks are the same of the Uberti revolvers and i never saw the same marks at the same place over all replicas manufacturers.
The date of manufactured (1968) close some other manufacturers of the years of their productions about a similar model.

All of that such me as this revolver probably made by Uberti.

I have recently make contact from Uberti in Italy, and i hope to have more informations this days of replicas from them or else...

Frontier
Quote:
To my knowledge Uberti have never made a brass framed Colt replica.
Well, are you sure ?
They did.
But actually, their production none, i guess. Only steel frame

Friendly,

Seb
Old July 23, 2011, 05:31 AM   #11
Hawg

Uberti made some brass frames early on but haven't in many years.