The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 11, 2002, 09:40 PM   #1
ridgejf

Baikel S x S ejectors

I recently purchased an EAA Baikel 1ZH43K 12ga/24" S X S. I like the gun except it has ejectors, while the on-line spec sheet lists it as having selectable ejectors, meaning the feature could be turned off. When I phoned EAA to find out how to turn the ejectors off, I was told that the gun only had ejectors, i.e. it did not have the selectable feature. Does anyone know how to disable the ejectors?
Old May 11, 2002, 11:43 PM   #2
rugerfreak

Selective ejectors generally means that only fired shells are ejected and unfired shells are lifted by an extractor.
Old May 12, 2002, 07:16 AM   #3
ridgejf

Thanks rugerfreak - that is exactly what it does. I was told by one of their service people, prior to ordering the gun, that it meant you could switch between ejectors and extractors, as is the case with their O/U shotgun.
Old May 12, 2002, 09:29 PM   #4
Don Martin

ridgejf,

How do you like the stock on that SS Baikal? And in particular the pistol grip. I have found the grip to be too far back on the ones that I have seen?
Old May 13, 2002, 05:44 AM   #5
ridgejf

The stock is VERY good looking but could be a bit longer, although it feels good and mounts well, for me. If anything, the pistol grip could be a little further back, as far as I'm concerned. When patterning some 3" HV Turkey loads, my middle finger was seriously whacked by the trigger guard. (It is still sore and swollen, one week later.) The kick was VERY significant but then I had a camo gun sock on it, which made it hard to get a firm grip on the pistol grip and fore end. I've decided to stick with 2 3/4" shells when using this short barrelled, light S x S. :-) It is a good looking gun though and a bargain at the price.
Old May 13, 2002, 09:33 AM   #6
Don Martin

Then it seems you don't have the standard wood stock on the gun. I was trying to find out what others thought about it as I find the pistol grip to be way too far away from the triggers.

I heard that there had been an "Italian" stock option offered in England. I was interested in any feedback on Baikal stocks. I would not put a plastic stock on a shotgun as a matter of personal choice.
Old May 13, 2002, 10:32 AM   #7
ridgejf

Yes - it is the standard walnut stock with checkering on the grip and fore end.