The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 13, 2002, 12:48 PM   #1
Modifiedbrowning

Remington 870 express

Hello all, was at a local store today and they had a 870 express listed for $279. It that a relatively good deal? I want to buy a shotgun but don't want to deal with the hassle of transfers and shipping etc. It seems like a good price and I have the money to pay for it, so what do you think? If that is full retail I still think I might buy it. Thanks in advance.
Old May 13, 2002, 01:06 PM   #2
hitnthexring

$249 to $279 is about the best price for a stock 870. After test firing, send it to Wilson Scattergun for better sights, Sure Fire forend, mag extension & side saddle.
Old May 13, 2002, 01:07 PM   #3
K80Geoff

What length barrel does it have? choke tubes? One or two barrels? What kind of stock, wood, plastic, camo?

That price seems about right for the 870 express combo, with slug or rifled barrel and standard barrel with choke tubes. A bit steep if only one barrel.

I haven't bought an express in years, but the prices haven't changed much.
Old May 13, 2002, 01:58 PM   #4
labgrade
Member In Memoriam

Thinkin' along the same lines, K80.

Standard 12 ga ExMag 870s were going for right at $210 out the door - one bbl, mod choke.

Come to think of it though, I haven't bought one since you didn't need a NICS check - info's a tad dated.
Old May 13, 2002, 02:43 PM   #5
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

Check your local Wal-Mart. Here an 870 Exp, one barrel iss about $250.00.

Giz
Old May 13, 2002, 04:51 PM   #6
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Sorry, hitnthexring, but I disagree. Addons can come later, right now he needs a shotgun.

And, an absolutely stock 870/500/37/1300 is a close range weapon of awesome capabilities in EXPERIENCED, TRAINED hands.All the bells, whistles,fuzzy dice and fender skirts in the Universe will NOT make up for a lack of expertise.

Anyone who disagrees and sees a stock shotgun as merely a test frame for a wish list is welcome to communicate same. I'll bring Frankenstein, my slightly modified and well worn parts 870.It's very close in configuration to a generic cruiser gun with 21" bbl. Any disagree-er can bring ANY D*MN shotgun they want.

Lazer sights, belt feed, full auto? Fine! Trigger by Timney,bbl by Vang, action by Wilson? Fine!

We'll use the same ammo and COF, picked by you. We'll shoot for score, ties decided by time, and the loser buys the coffee and donuts. Results'll be posted rat cheer. Any takers?

ModifiedBrowning, buy a shotgun. $279 is in the ball park for that 870,IMO. Then, buy mucho ammo and shoot it up. Buy more, repeat. Make sure the stock fits reasonably well, your form is good, and goaheadon.

After a few cases of ammo, you'll be much closer to expertise and being dangerous to only the right people. Then after a year or so, decide if you NEED any addons or mods, and then buy them. BTW, Wilson does good work I hear, but that's later if at all.

HTH, and rant mode off.
Old May 13, 2002, 11:36 PM   #7
Kevan

That's some very good advice from Dave. When it comes to shotguns, Dave:

"YOU DA MAN!!"
Old May 14, 2002, 02:18 AM   #8
Modifiedbrowning

It is a stock 870 with a synthetic black stoxk and 18 inch barrel. I was kinda leaning toward a Winchester 1300 Defender just because that was the only I've played with so far. I'm thinking hard about the Remington now though.
Old May 14, 2002, 04:02 AM   #9
GrantLee63

$249

$249 is what I just paid for my Remington Express in April. I got it on sale at Bass Pro Shoppe - 26" barrel, mod choke tube, and synthetic stock. The only accessories I've got for it so far are Skeet and Full choke tubes.

Great gun, outstanding value - you will not be dissapointed if you decide to go with a Remington Express .....

-Unknown
Old May 14, 2002, 04:39 AM   #10
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Mod, an 18" bbled 870 with or w/o synthetic stock comes close to optimum for an entry level, "Serious" shotgun. If cared for, it'll feed and protect your family for generations.

The Winchester is also a good gun, but no other current repeater equals the 870 for durability or longevity.
Old May 14, 2002, 04:40 PM   #11
SAWBONES

I think there's little question about the Rem 870 as compared to the Win 1300 for durability: the Rem 870 wins.

I have a Rem 870 Express with an 18" Rem Police Magnum barrel, and a slightly shortened stock, which is an excellent home defense SG, as far as I'm concerned.
Nonetheless, I really like my Benelli NOVA even more than the Rem 870. With rifle sights on the NOVA, cost was almost the same for both ($250 for the 870, $269 for the NOVA at Sportsman's Warehouse).
Best.
Old May 14, 2002, 05:02 PM   #12
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

The jury's still out on the longevity of the Nova,Sawbones. Let me know 40 years from now how it worked out. I've handled one, and it seemed OK. The kid who owned it was holding up his end in Singles trap.

I'll stay with the 870, but us codgers are set in our ways(G)...
Old May 14, 2002, 06:13 PM   #13
norielX

It's a decent price...

... For the home defense version. I see the 26" wood furniture ones around here (Texas, at Academy sporting goods) for $219. I got lucky and found one with your set up (although it had a remchoke 20" bbl and sling) for $199 used. I'd say look around for a used one. Most folks buy a shotty, immediately run some 3" buck or slugs through it, kill their shoulder, and then promptly sell it off. Those are the best deals. oh yeah, and if you ever do get a shotgun, follow dave's advice-- shoot, shoot, shoot! I haven't bought an add on yet! can't say the same about not buying shotguns, though... damn addiction....grumble...
Old May 15, 2002, 04:13 AM   #14
Rob96

I basically have the same shotgun, with the exception that mine came with the +2 mag extension (870 Express HD). Excellent shotgun, with great handling and firing characteristics. The only thing I have added to mine is a 6 round TacStar sidesaddle. I like to keep things simple. Even with the bead sights, this thing gives excellent groups with slugs.
Old May 15, 2002, 07:04 AM   #15
K80Geoff

Seems to me that it would be verry difficult to change the LOP or dimensions on the Nova.

I have learned through experience that wood furniture is more pleasant to shoot and much easier to modify.

My worthless $.02 again