The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 30, 2009, 11:43 AM   #1
beezaur

Picatinny Forends

What do you guys put on your Picatinny forends?

I am putting a Picatinny forend on my 870. The gun does double duty for both defense and big game hunting, so the weaponlight will come on and off.

Of course, working a pump gun that has three rails on the forend is not a good deal. I will have to get rail covers for exposed sections of rail.

What kinds of covers do you guys like better, low profile or regular? What kinds of things are you attaching to your forend? Vertical grips? Weaponlights? Espresso makers?

Scott
Old July 30, 2009, 02:19 PM   #2
oneounceload

Just a question - would it be easier to put a P rail on the barrel and just switch barrels from HD to hunting? Personally, I have different guns for different uses, so I'm asking so i can get edjumicated........
Old July 30, 2009, 02:26 PM   #3
BigJimP

I like that idea OneOunce - ( you could put them on with hose clamps ..) maybe a little duct tape ....

I don't get this "rail" fascination .... I don't like them on handguns either .
Old July 30, 2009, 02:35 PM   #4
oneounceload

Oh I hear ya Jim.....and to a lot of folks, I guess this is a serious issue. Personally, I do not have anything on the barrel of my HD shotgun, nor do I have anything on my HD handgun. Guess I just don't get the reason when the weight throws things off - but I'm guessing the HD folks only worry about straight shooting at a somewhat static target so maybe it works for them.

There was someone on one of these threads that had a new patent-pending clamp that had a variety of P-rail configurations - might have been this forum, not sure - looked cool enough if you like that stuff
Old July 30, 2009, 02:39 PM   #5
BigJimP

Actually, I think some of the rail systems do look cool / my boys are in their 30's and them and some of their buddies are into hanging all kinds of stuff off their guns ...

( and the first one to ever beat me in a round of Trap, Skeet or Sporting Clays - can have any gun he wants out of my safe ...) ... of course they'll get them all in a few years anyway probably ...
Old July 30, 2009, 02:59 PM   #6
Creeper

Ummmm... I have a question. Might not be a good question, but I'm running with it anyway.

beezaur... if the only reason you want a 1913 rail is so you can hang a light from it, why do you want a full ninja, 3-rail forend?
A simple. light weight and effective light mount from any number of makers would do the trick, and you wouldn't need the anti hand-shredding inserts or espresso maker adapter or any other farkles.

Unless of course... the idea is to have plenty of places to put farkles.

It sounds like you already have it ordered, or at least are firm on buying one... so perhaps someone will come along and offer up their list of rail attached accessories for your review and approval.

Cheers,
C
Old July 30, 2009, 03:16 PM   #7
beezaur

Yes, the forend is ordered.

I have a Surefire weaponlight that attaches to a rail. I have used it on my .45 (although I prefer a flashlight). It is mounted on my carbine now. It's a great light: tough as nails, two parallel batteries (better for recoil than inline), and is pretty bright (110 lumens peak).
http://www.surefire.com/X300-LED-WeaponLight
http://www.surefire.com/Remote-Switch-Assembly-for-X300

Now I have this shotgun that I want to use for defense and hunting. So it needs a light. Being a pump, I want the light mounted with the switch on the forend. The switch is separate from the light and is a few inches long. The cheapest way I found to do that is the Surefire forend.

Maybe there is a cheaper or different forend with only rail where I want the light, but here are some problems with that:
1) I don't know where I want the light and switch. Having "too much" rail allows me to try different positions and settle on what I find works best.
2) Surefire is a brand that has not let me down in the past. The older I get, the less interested I have become in screwing around. Every time I buy something that is "just as good" it isn't. I always end up spending more money getting it right that way.

Anyway, the plan is to snap off the light going hunting and snap on full covers. When I put the gun bedside, I add the light and put on short covers.

Kinda nice to be able to use the light on anything I feel like shooting.

Scott

Last edited by beezaur; July 30, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old July 30, 2009, 03:24 PM   #8
Creeper

Quote:
1) I don't know where I want the light and switch. Having "too much" rail allows me to try different positions and settle on what I find works best.
This part right here makes perfect sense, and explains away any other variables quite nicely.

I haven't owned a pump gun in a number of years (yes, I know, shame on me), so I tend to forget that the forend moves... and short of a pigtailed remote switch, mounting the light to the barrel or mag tube can be somewhat problematic.

C
Old July 30, 2009, 03:34 PM   #9
beezaur

Quote:
I don't get this "rail" fascination . . .
It's just a way to mount a light that I already own. A mounted light is a thousand times better than trying to balance a long gun and a flashlight.

I first became aware of rails doing long range shooting. I have a US Optics scope, which is not the kind of thing you want to have to buy multiples of. Having the scope in Picatinny rings, you can move the scope from rifle to rifle with minimum fuss.

There are other things that are nice for precision shooting too, like levels and inclination indicators. No big deal for short range, but out past 600 yards or so it starts to become important. Having a rail instead of a conventional mount lets you attach that stuff in a solid and tidy manner.
Old July 30, 2009, 04:01 PM   #10
BlackFeather

I personally like the rails... its more fun and usefull... I would go with a strobe... being shot at while being blinded by a strobe would suck... but if you cant handle it then dont... the flash light is all you should need... but what are you hunting with it later?

[Insert random irrelevant religious quote here]
Old July 30, 2009, 05:22 PM   #11
beezaur

90% of the purpose of my shotgun is bear.

I have a bear hanging around the house. It's snooped my wife several times when she was taking care of her animals. I've got other guns that will manage a two-legged predator, but this black bear is maybe pushing 300 lbs or more.

I wanted something that would take care of a bear in a defense situation ("bothering" my female is punishable by death in my book) and also something suitable for hunting the same critter in relatively brushy terrain. Hence the Remington 870 Tactical.

I am not a fan of making things too complicated, so the carbine probably will be retired to coyote hunting duty from nighttime defense. I'd rather just have one defense long gun for all problems and not have to try and figure out what buttons are where in the middle of the night with an intruder. Simpler is better.

Scott
Old August 27, 2009, 01:21 AM   #12
candewman

I've heard of problems with the light being in the way when it is mounted on the forend itself. That is, less room to grip the forend due to the light ebing in the way. The TLR-1 is similar to the X-300 so you could mount it like this and it is easily reachable without changing your grip or running out of room.

It mounts very close to the weapon. It also unclamps with one screw and you don't need to take the whole thing apart to do it either.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:24 AM   #13
UtopiaTexasG19

I have a Choate forend/picatinny rail on my 870 with a small light attached. I can take the light off and mount it to my AR so it does double duty. The beauty of the light on my 870 is for getting rid of those pesky armadillos that dig in my yard all the time at night. For years I balance a flashlight in my left hand holding it against the forend while shooting and believe me having the light mounted on the gun makes for much quicker and accutate shooting.
Old March 25, 2012, 08:48 AM   #14
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

CanDew Man has the items I would seek if I were wanting a light mount...

No rails on my gun and SURELY nothing but fore grip in my grip...

Brent