The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 19, 2018, 05:14 PM   #1
TXAZ

Do you let others shoot your guns at the range?

You're at the range with a gun the person next to you is admiring. He strikes up a conversation. He asks if he can shoot it?

What do you tell him / her?

Do you have a criteria?

Cave illos in guns et backhoes
Old June 19, 2018, 05:19 PM   #2
Mike38

As long as it's only a couple shots, no problem. But, there's always "that guy" who will do a mag dump with my ammo, smile and nod, then go back to his lane, and forget I even existed.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:21 PM   #3
MTT TL

Yes I do. Few ever ask but I often offer if they seem interested. Some guns I do not let others shoot. NFA items, work guns, PDWs and guns that I am working on and testing are examples of guns I don't let others shoot.

If I let someone shoot a pistol I only do so if they also brought a pistol to the range. Still, I get in a position to their side/rear and get ready in case they do something dumb.
Quote:
As long as it's only a couple shots, no problem. But, there's always "that guy" who will do a mag dump with my ammo, smile and nod, then go back to his lane, and forget I even existed.
They get a 3 round magazine. That's it. Only my ammo too.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:30 PM   #4
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXAZ View Post
You're at the range with a gun the person next to you is admiring. He strikes up a conversation. He asks if he can shoot it?

What do you tell him / her?

Do you have a criteria?
I have criteria.

Most of my shooting anymore, is done at my private range(handgun, rifle and trap), so anyone there admiring my firearms is either a friend, neighbor or family. Most of those folks are welcome to shoot whatever I have. At the two small public sportsman's club range I occasionally shoot at, it depends. Depends on my mood, and if I don't know the person, how I judge their character. Most times, I'm shooting my reloads and am hesitant to let strangers shoot them. Not that I'm not confident in my reloading practice, but because anything can happen. New/young shooters generally get a free pass, along with a short tutorial.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:31 PM   #5
DaleA

I let folk try out my guns. We use my ammunition of course because I don't trust theirs. And I do the same as was previously mentioned, I watch them for safety and don't give them a full magazine.

When I take somebody shooting we agree ahead of time I provide the guns, ammo, ear plugs and they pay the range fee. I'm quite happy with this arrangement.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:45 PM   #6
stephen426

I've let plenty of people shoot my guns. I load up a few rounds and let them have at it. As for who I let shoot, I look for people who seem like enthusiasts. I typically observe people around me. If they are careless with their own stuff or look like total beginners, I usually won't let them shoot my guns. I have been offered to try some really cool guns I would not have been able to try otherwise and i like to pay it forward.

I have lent my Browning Buckmark to some guys who find it funny to start their girlfriends on some hard recoiling gun. It takes a while to train flinching out of people and .22LR is a great way to learn and to warm up. I will show them myself how the gun operates and let them shoot. I buy my ammo in bulk so it isn't a big deal.
Old June 19, 2018, 05:54 PM   #7
Rangerrich99

Generally speaking, if my gut tells me it's okay, I let strangers shoot my guns, except a couple 'heirloom' guns if I brought them.

Just lately I've had at least one person per range visit strike up a conversation and I've let them shoot at least one of my guns. Maybe 5 times in the last couple months. The most popular guns asked about so far have been (in no order): my Shield9, M&P9, Para P13, Ruger GP-100. The GP-100 might be the most popular. For some reason revolvers seem to be fascinating to the newbie shooter. At least at the indoor ranges I frequent.

I usually let them shoot a whole cylinder of .38 spl, maybe two. With the semis I usually let them shoot 10 rounds (obviously with the Shield an 8-round mag). I don't let them load/unload any guns though.

Interestingly, when strangers shoot one of my semis, they shoot the one mag and immediately put it down/hand it over. With the revos they'll usually grin, and want to talk about it. If offered, they'll gladly run another wheel, or even a third. They always opt for SA.
Old June 19, 2018, 06:14 PM   #8
CalmerThanYou

I do if the vibe is right. My Kriss vector seems to get a lot of inquiries. If the person seems not to be a kook, I give them 10-15 rounds and a quick safety lesson as the support hand is mighty close to the muzzle. I always use my ammo.
It is often fun, to see a shooter try something different and their reaction (Puts a smile on their face 100% of the time)
Old June 19, 2018, 06:40 PM   #9
indie_rocker

As long as I don't get strange vibes from them. I almost always like to offer if they have offered to let me shoot one of theirs.

Again, as long as they seem okay. I use my ammo. People are usually curious about the Glock 20, 10mm has a different sound to it.
Old June 19, 2018, 07:02 PM   #10
jmr40

Yes. And it works both ways. I've had an opportunity to shoot others guns in cartridges that are cool, but I'd never justify buying for myself.

Winston Churchill
Old June 19, 2018, 07:04 PM   #11
Pahoo

Mostly no

This can get tricky and there are times when I let others shoot my firearm. When it's my firearm, I "may" offer. When it's someone else's firearm, only if it's offered. I always try and use my ammo and if it's his ammo, I limit the shots rounds. ….

A related question is; Do you ever loan your firearm, to a friend to take out and shoot? I have learned the hard way that this is not a good practice and no longer do so. ……

Be Safe !!!
Old June 19, 2018, 07:59 PM   #12
jag2

Like most have said, if it feels right, sure. Had many friendly talks with some nice guys. Biggest plus, I got to shoot a S&W 50 cal revolver, that was cool.
Old June 19, 2018, 08:07 PM   #13
2wheelwander

So long as they aren't coming across as unsafe or idiots, yes. some years ago my sister asked me o take her to the range and go over basics. 3 guys in the lane beside us shooting .22 auto pistols. A Smith, Beretta, and a Ruger IIRC. They invited me to shoot theirs. I put 2-3 rounds through each one and immediately went out and bought an SA-22. I offered to let them shoot anything I had brought, but they politely declined. Nice guys just out plinking.
Old June 19, 2018, 08:17 PM   #14
CLC

Yeah, why not? Ive met lots of cool people at the public ranges. If somone is acting unsafe correct them and dont let them touch your stuff. Simple as that.
Old June 19, 2018, 08:31 PM   #15
MTT TL

Quote:
A related question is; Do you ever loan your firearm, to a friend to take out and shoot? I have learned the hard way that this is not a good practice and no longer do so. ……
Never. Never borrowed one either.
Old June 19, 2018, 09:40 PM   #16
riffraff

I shoot more or less primarily at a pit. There are a half dozen groups of people I run into, and others like me who tend to show up solo, and pretty much all of them both offer up their toys as I do mine.

There's no range officer - it's common sense and courteous practice. Everyone looks around at what's happening and takes their turn. If you are going to run something real loud you warn people to put their ears on, if you see someone about to do something stupid you mention it - "hey you probably should put some glasses on" and they always seem to oblige. We all are hanging out talking as we do our thing, checking out eachother's toys, and you never know what someone is going to pull out of their truck - good fun.

My favorite group are a bunch of broke "kids" in their early 20's, they can't afford to dump hundreds of rounds every week like I do, or to own even $1000 guns but they scrounge up great deals on some really cool stuff I'd never even think to look at. I tried a very cool 45-70 the other day.. Very often they skeet shoot - it's cheap and fun, and they offer me a turn. I'll hand one of them a pistol or whatever AR I'm playing with and my expectation is absolutely that they dump it - safer to keep the muzzle pointed downrange until it's empty anyway.
Old June 19, 2018, 10:35 PM   #17
ninosdemente

I once was allowed to shoot someone's hand gun. They saw my M&P Shield 9 and he called me up to his area. We talked about my gun and compared the Ruger he was using. He let me held it and even told me that I can shoot it without me asking. I only took one shot though, removed the magazine and the bullet, then set it on the table. He was grateful I did that. I offered him some money for the nice gesture he did. He didn't accept the money and I told him I didn't mean any insult. No offense taken. Talked a bit more, exchanged info, I offered mine as well, he shot one before so he didn't want to take up my offer. I didn't take any offense either. Soon after he left.
Old June 19, 2018, 11:53 PM   #18
cslinger

I have never had anybody ask nor have I ever asked.

I have had folks ask what I am shooting or ask about x,y or z and in some cases I offer to let them run a few rounds.

I have done the same when I see something interesting as in “how do you like that .22 TCM, you are the first person I have seen with one....”. To which the offer to shoot it is usually put forth. I usually offer a protest that I don’t want to waste their ammo and or offer to let them shoot something of mine in kind.

I can’t imagine simply walking up to a stranger and saying hey can I shoot that????
Old June 20, 2018, 12:31 AM   #19
FrankenMauser

Under the right circumstances, I might.
It would depend upon the firearm, load, and what I was doing.
Working on load development for something, with no other ammo? Not gonna happen.
Just verifying the zero on something with an established load? Sure.
The .475 Tremor and .480 Ruger? Nope. Most of my loads for those are $1(+) per bang.
6x45mm? Yea, probably.
The .35 Whelen or .270 Win? Maybe. ...Depending upon what my first impression is. Those loads use premium bullets and are not cheap; but are cheap enough that I would part with a few for the right person.

But it hasn't happened, yet. -- I only go early in the morning, on weekdays, when I know I'll be alone - or at least left alone by the one other guy there - until 10 am, or so.
A few people have wanted to talk to me about what I had at any given time, but none have actually asked to shoot anything.
Old June 20, 2018, 05:22 AM   #20
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pahoo View Post

A related question is; Do you ever loan your firearm, to a friend to take out and shoot? [/B]
To me, for the most part,firearms are tools, and treat them as such. I don't lend my best hand tools out to folks I don't know, but I do borrow second tier tools out to friends I trust. Same goes for my guns.
Old June 20, 2018, 05:22 AM   #21
RETG

It would only be if I knew them before the range. I will not hand my weapon to someone I don't know. However, I guess it is mute since I just go off into the desert or mountains to shoot by myself or with friends.
I give MY OPINION (not often) based on many years shooting at, other than paper targets. I will not debate my experience vs. your experience based on dreams and "what ifs." I'm 73; I'm too damn old to care.
Old June 20, 2018, 07:24 AM   #22
David R

I encourage it. I let anyone that is interested in what I am shooting try it out. MY ammo. I like loaning my Anschutz 22 with a 5 ounce trigger and 15X scope to a new sporter rifle shooter. They can see what a good gun can do compared to their wal-mart special.

I was at an outdoor range one time shooting my Officers ACP light weight. A fellow member had tole me he just ordered a Rock Island. I said "Want to try this one?" He said no, but was watching me and looking at the gun with high interest. SO I asked him again. He said "Sure". 3.5" aluminum frame 45 with HOT 200 SWC. It was fun watching him. Its a real handful. He thanked me. I asked if he wanted another magazine. He said no.

I let others shoot my firearms because I want to encourage the sport. If its just some fella wanting to do mag dumps, then I don't offer. I shoot mostly wood and blue steel guns.

David
Old June 20, 2018, 08:45 AM   #23
Katsumi Liquer

At the club range, I have no problems letting other club members shoot my guns.

At the local public indoor range, it would depend. If the person asking to shoot my gun is a regular with whom I've previously interacted, then I generally have no problems. If a complete stranger asks, I'll politely decline, citing potential liability issues with letting someone else shoot my handloads as the (admittedly flimsy) reason.

I will request that the person shooting my gun remove any finger ornaments, though, as I've had the finish on one of my guns scratched when it was shot by someone wearing a ring. For better or worse, I'm very OCD about keeping my firearms in mint condition.

Last edited by Katsumi Liquer; June 20, 2018 at 08:50 AM.
Old June 20, 2018, 09:14 AM   #24
aarondhgraham

For me it's just paying back the courtesies I received,,,
When I first started going to the range.

When I was searching/researching for a full size Wonder-Nine pistol,,,
There were many folk at my rifle & pistol club who allowed me to shoot their guns.

I always had my own ammo though.

And as I did own some very nice revolvers,,,
I always offered to let them shoot one of my guns.

My club range is membership only,,,
I'm not certain if I would do this at an open range.

Aarond

Aarond is good,,, Aarond is wise,,, Always trust Aarond! (most of the time)
Old June 20, 2018, 01:25 PM   #25
SIGSHR

As a rule, yes. Under my supervision-in my lane, e.g., my ammunition, say 5 rounds. Plenty of other shooters have let me try theirs. That's how I discovered I didn't like Glocks.