The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 16, 2017, 07:00 PM   #1
JT8

M&P Shield 9 Issue

I recently bought a S&W M&P Shield 9mm for a CC, and with the intentions of eventually passing it over to my wife. I really love the pistol, besides the recoil spring tension. I can lock the slide to the rear without an issue, but I did notice that it was more difficult than most pistols I've worked with. My wife can barely do it at all. The combination of the tension and the slide lock being a little stubborn has made it impossible for me to properly train her on how to use the pistol.

My question is, would looking for an aftermarket recoil spring be the best option, or should I just try and work the spring until it loosens up?
Old February 16, 2017, 07:41 PM   #2
turtlehead

I've had two and they really are stiff. I think that gun just has to be handled with authority. Much like the XDS.
Old February 16, 2017, 07:46 PM   #3
JT8

Did they ever loosen up with time/use?
Old February 16, 2017, 07:58 PM   #4
turtlehead

Not really. I think the recoil spring just needed to be that stiff for that gun to operate reliably.

Maybe someone will come along and correct me. I never read about an improvement to that issue.
Old February 16, 2017, 08:00 PM   #5
bedbugbilly

I have a Shield 9mm and I love it - but I agree with you - the racking is extremely stiff. I'm older and have some hand issues but I still am working at it in the hopes that in time, the slide will be a bit more user friendly.

You might want to go to the S & W Forum and put a post as well. I've also wondered about the recoil spring and if a replacement is available that will make the slide not so stiff.

Just a side note that I think relates to the same thing. I reload and shoot cast that I cast myself. I had a Ruger SR9 - my first 9mm. (I've been a revolver shooter for 50 years). Using a 120is grain cast bullet over 3.5 grains of Bulls Eye made the SR9 cycle perfectly and was the "sweet spot" for that pistol. When I got the Shield, I figured the same round would work well out of it as well. Wrong! That round would not cycle the Shield - I had FTE quite a bit. Bumping the charge up to 3.7 to 3.8 grains of Bulls Eye, the Shield would cycle. Just goes to show you that no two pistols are alike and some stiffer than others.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 17, 2017, 09:05 AM   #6
P5 Guy

Yeah the slide lock is a bugger and the recoil spring is kind of stiff. After a couple hundred rounds mine seems to be easier to lock back. It may have to do with 'break in' or I've just developed the technic to lock back the slide.

Last edited by P5 Guy; February 18, 2017 at 10:23 AM.
Old February 17, 2017, 10:14 AM   #7
carguychris

The M&P9c slide is a good deal easier to work. Buy her one of those.
Old February 17, 2017, 10:39 AM   #8
DMK

Quote:
Did they ever loosen up with time/use?
Mine was extremely stiff when new. I saw some posts about locking the slide back every night. I did that for a few months and also I've run about 500-600 rounds through it (it is a fun gun to shoot!). It's definitely easier to rack now than when it was new. However, I think it will always be stiff to rack. It is what it is.

Myself, I would not change the recoil spring. Little subcompact autos with Browning's tilt barrel have been known to have reliability problems for decades, mostly due to timing issues.

Makers of the latest generation of subcompact guns like the Shield, XDS, G43 etc, have finally figured out how to get all the variables right but going with a lighter recoil spring weight may increase slide speed and may compromise reliability.
Old February 17, 2017, 11:43 AM   #9
2ndsojourn

Check the notch on the slide for the slide release. It may have a slight 'reverse cut' making the slide release difficult to operate. (The slide release has to move the slide back just a bit, against the tension of the recoil spring). My ladyfriend's Sig P250 had that, and a few passes with a file fixed it.
Old February 17, 2017, 06:16 PM   #10
JT8

Quote:
going with a lighter recoil spring weight may increase slide speed and may compromise reliability.
That was my main concern. I'm a tactics instructor with the Air Force, so most of my time is spent with a Barretta M9. It has a fairly relaxed recoil spring, and there are countless times the cycle of operation is interrupted. I love this Shield, but it seems I may have to get her something that's a little more user friendly for someone without the experience.

I appreciate all the input guys.
Old February 17, 2017, 07:51 PM   #11
DMK

If you can find a 45 Shield, see how it is for you. Mine does not seem as stiff as my 9mm Shield.
Old February 17, 2017, 09:58 PM   #12
Bozz10mm

When I first got my Shield 9mm, I really had to struggle to lock the slide back for assembly and disassembly. It did get easier after several hundred rounds. I don't know if the spring loosened up or I developed more muscle, lol. I found it is much easier just to insert an empty mag and pull the slide back until it locks. Then you can drop the mag.

Racking a round into the chamber was never a problem tho.
Old February 18, 2017, 01:42 AM   #13
keithdog

My Shield was very stiff too which is a bit of a pain for me as the arthritis in my hands occasionally acts up. But I can say, it is definitely easier to rack after putting 500 rounds through it. Still not the easiest slide though. I don't know if you would want to consider a .380 for your wife or not, but the new Ruger LCP2 has a very easy slide.
Old February 18, 2017, 02:08 AM   #14
Jackson Hammersmith

My shield 9 has a very stiff spring. Pretty difficult to rack if you have wet or sweaty hands, mine is flawless after 500+ rounds though.
Old February 18, 2017, 09:10 AM   #15
Texas45

I have a 40'and 45 shield.
Yes the spring is stiff.
Small gun with short fairly light slide equals stiff spring.
It will ease some with use.
The slide lock is just that. LOCK not a release (read the manual) and your best bet is sling shot the slide.
Also smaller folks have better luck using the push method.
Hold slide with weak hand and PUSH the firearm forward then just let go of the slide.

Youll find it much easier done this way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old February 18, 2017, 11:04 AM   #16
Rogervzv

Sounds like the Shield 9 is simply not the right gun for your spouse.

You might take a look at the Sig P238. Very easy to rack, and a very accurate and reliable sidearm and great for carry.
Old February 18, 2017, 12:30 PM   #17
disseminator

It's not just the Shield, all small 9mm will need to have a stiffer spring than a lrger pistol shooting the same ammo will. It's Physics.

The slide and spring need to be able to dissipate the energy of firing the round and operating the slide. A larger, heavier slide will not need as much spring weight do to it's greater mass.

This is true for all guns, in all calibers. A 3" 45 ACP pistol will be much stiffer than a 5" 45 ACP etc...

As suggested, the M&P Compact might suit your wife better for this reason.
Old February 19, 2017, 09:26 AM   #18
John D

Mine became easier to rack after putting a number of rounds through it. Now, if I can just get those magazines springs to ease up.........!
Old February 19, 2017, 10:52 AM   #19
turtlehead

+1 on the P238. A baby could rack that gun. It's very pleasant to shoot, too. My carry gun.
Old February 19, 2017, 04:26 PM   #20
DubC-Hicks

Check out the Glock 43. Similar in size to the Shield, but much easier to work the slide. And recoil feels less snappy to me with the G43.

My girlfriend originally wanted the Shield, so I bought her one. Then I got the 43 and she started to spend time with it and now she's wanting to add another 43 to our collection for her.
Old February 19, 2017, 04:38 PM   #21
bedbugbilly

DubC-Hicks makes an excellent suggestion on the Glock 43.

When I was looking for a small 9mm single stack for carry, I looked at the Sheid, a Springfield, a Kimber and the Glock 43. For me it came down to the Shield or the Glock. I have never owned nor shot a Glock, but it was nice and I remember the slide racked easier than the Shield. At the time. the delivery on the 43 was iffy due to demand. The LGS showed me the one that had been ordered and was awaiting pick up. If they would have had one in stock. I probably would have taken it over the Shield. Not bad mouthing the Shield as it is a good pistol, but. for my older hands, the Glock was much better.

It might be an excellent alternative for her and should be easy enough to find one now that she could look at. Good luck!
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old February 20, 2017, 12:12 AM   #22
5thShock

"I can lock the slide to the rear without an issue, but I did notice that it was more difficult than most pistols I've worked with. My wife can barely do it at all."

Why does your wife need to lock the slide back? She can fire and reload without that, no?
Old October 27, 2020, 09:51 AM   #23
Davette59

My M&P Shield is just to difficult to rack. It takes some of the fun out of using it. I recently purchased the M&P Shield EZ 380 and it is a breeze to rack and loading the magazine is also very easy.
I have heard that using a one piece stainless steel guide rod make racking somewhat easier. I plan to purchase and use one in my M&P Shield before I get rid of it to see if it helps.
Old October 27, 2020, 10:02 AM   #24
Jim Watson

I know one Lady who dealt with "hard racking" by only doing it once a day.
She would arrive at the range, grit her teeth, and rack the slide to load the pistol. After that, the gun was either being shot, it was idle but loaded with the safety on, or it was empty with the slide locked back. In the last case, all it took was a fresh magazine and a push of the slide release or a yank on the slide to resume shooting.
Old October 29, 2020, 09:39 PM   #25
DT Guy

I'm assuming your wife knows the 'push forward with strong hand while pulling back with the weak hand' technique, and it's still difficult?

Smith makes a 9MM EZ for folks who want a gun that's easier to rack. There are also 'cocking ears' sold by different folks who can help give a better grip on the slide, which can help.

Larry

Government, Anarchy and Chaos

Tags
9mm , m&p , shield , smith and wesson