The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old February 28, 2013, 02:45 PM   #1
rickk1

traveling thru calif

I have been thinking about traveling to calif sometime in the next year or two. I realize my handgun concealed carry permits are not valid in calif. My questions are:

My 2 handguns have a 13rd and a 15rd capacity. I always carry 4-5 magazines for each handgun. Since I will be traveling to your state, are there any problems with my magazines capacity? I will lock up both handguns in separate containers and will also lock up all magazines in separate containers as well. I have traveled in other states and never had any issues with my magazines or my handguns. Am I legal in calif? These magazines and handguns are not for sale and are to be used only as my protection and will be locked up at all times until I exit calif.
Old February 28, 2013, 02:58 PM   #2
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickk1
...My 2 handguns have a 13rd and a 15rd capacity. I always carry 4-5 magazines for each handgun. Since I will be traveling to your state, are there any problems with my magazines capacity?...
Yes there are problems. Importing (bringing in) magazines with a capacity in excess of 10 rounds is a felony in California. You may bring them in disassembled. But if you assemble them in California, that would be a felony.

You'll need to get some 10 round magazines if you want to have your pistol available to you for self defense.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old February 28, 2013, 03:00 PM   #3
rickk1

what a bunch of crap. i am supposed to attend a wedding there for 2 days but due to their restrictions, i will not be attending. i will spend my money elsewhere.

thanks.
Old February 28, 2013, 03:06 PM   #4
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickk1
what a bunch of crap. i am supposed to attend a wedding there for 2 days but due to their restrictions, i will not be attending. i will spend my money elsewhere.
And I could respond in a similar manner. You asked a question and got the correct answer. Too bad it wasn't the answer you wanted.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Closed Thread