The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old June 11, 2012, 09:27 AM   #1
Jokergbfan

Browning silver hunter forearm loose

I just purchased a brand new Browning Silver Hunter 2 days ago, and took it skeet shooting for the first time yesterday. It performed flawlessly and I am extremely happy with it. The only problem is the rear of the forearm isn't very tight against the receiver and I can feel it moving when I carry it. Is this normal for this model or does mine have a problem?
Old June 11, 2012, 09:59 AM   #2
oneounceload

no it is not normal - shooting a gun with a loose forearm like that can subject it to stresses that can lead to cracking of the wood.

First thing is to see if the screw inside the forearm is loose - if so, tighten it
Old June 11, 2012, 01:12 PM   #3
Jokergbfan

I don't see any screws inside the forearm at all, just two metal "triangles" at the rear, but those are tight, and look to just be clipped on
Old June 11, 2012, 01:17 PM   #4
oneounceload

Sorry, MY mistake was thinking of a different model all together. My eyes saw Silver, my foggy brain this AM saw Citori - DUH!

This being what it is, do you have the mag cap snugged tightly? It still shouldn't be loose - I have had both Remington and Beretta semis and the Remington would like to loosen up once in a while after a lot of shooting, not enough to make it come off, just feel loose, while the Beretta needs the cap snugged tighter even when you think it is on
Old June 12, 2012, 02:50 AM   #5
Orphanedcowboy

Look inside the back of the fore end, there are 2 small tabs that fit into 2 small grooves on the receiver. Some movement is normal by design. You can add some foam tape to tighten it up, but don't get carried away or you could crack the fore end.
Old June 12, 2012, 07:49 AM   #6
Jokergbfan

Thanks for the replies! Yes I do regularly tighten the cap during a day of shooting. I called Browning and the rep said its normal to have a little bit of play, so I am going to keep shooting it and see if it bothers me, if it does that foam tape sounds like a pretty good idea

Tags
browning , forearm , hunter , loose , silver