The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 28, 2012, 03:29 PM   #1
Ron7624

Sig P238 Trigger Bite

I've been carrying the Colt Mustang Pocketlite for several years, and I have never had a problem. It is an accurate and dependable pistol.
I just bought a Sig P238 several weeks ago, and am very impressed with the Siglite Night Sights. I really, really like them, a lot and want to carry this pistol because of them.
But, after my first round at the range with the Sig, I was extremely disappointed how sharp the end of the plastic trigger was. I found it uncomfortable to shoot, so I continued to carry the Mustang.
I've been looking to buy a better trigger so I can start to use this new gun. Although there was one posted elseware in the forum, I haven't investigated buying it. So today I decided to fix the trigger that came on the pistol. I took a small file, taped up the trigger guard and gently took that razor edge off of the bottom of that trigger. Wow, it worked like a champ. Went back to the range this afternoon and went through a bunch of handloads and a box of commercial stuff. From round nose to JHP, and mixing Colt and Sig magazines, I never a hiccup, and best of all no trigger bite.
I will start carrying the Sig now that it is shootable, and I’ll keep my trusty Mustang at the ready.
Old May 28, 2012, 03:32 PM   #2
BarryLee

So, in your opinion was this a design issue or a manufacturing defect?
A major source of objection to a free economy is precisely that it ... gives people what they want instead of what a particular group thinks they ought to want. Underlying most arguments against the free market is a lack of belief in freedom itself.
- Milton Friedman
Old May 28, 2012, 05:19 PM   #3
Ron7624

Cost effective manufacturning technique?

Design issue.
The trigger appeared to be made as they wanted it to be made, I just think it is a very low quality piece of a very high quality gun. A friend has a different model P238, but it has the same feel to the bottom of the trigger.
I think Sig should re-think the design of the trigger or at least round it out so as not to pinch, like I did.

Last edited by Ron7624; May 28, 2012 at 06:25 PM. Reason: To directly answer the question
Old May 29, 2012, 10:36 AM   #4
lcpiper

My wife and I have had no problems with the trigger on our P238 and I am wondering if you have thick fingers. My wife is a very slim woman and my hands aren't beefy at all. Our fingers just don't ride that low on the trigger.
Old May 29, 2012, 08:15 PM   #5
Rspeters

Yeah, I've got many rounds through mine and never had an issue with it.
Old May 29, 2012, 10:31 PM   #6
KyJim

No issue with mine, either. It may be personal preference, like the difference between serrated "target" triggers and smooth "combat" triggers on revolvers.
Old May 30, 2012, 06:43 PM   #7
mooney1el

I recently purchased a used P238 and it came with a "trigger shoe" . I do not like it at all, so I removed it. Now the problem is that the set screws on the shoe bit into the plastic trigger deforming it just enough to make it even more uncomfortable. I was going to put it back on, but found a stainless trigger from partsproduction; so that will get installed tomorrow or Saturday and I am hoping that it will be much nicer than the plastic one.

Richard
Old May 30, 2012, 06:57 PM   #8
hardhat harry

+1 on the Stainless trigger from partsproduction.com

An easy install, especially if you watch the video!!
Old June 2, 2012, 01:59 PM   #9
Ron7624

I've never had any kind of a trigger problem at all, with any of my pistols. I have several pistols that range in size from 45acp to 22 rim fire and several wheel guns that range in size from 41 mag to 22 cal.
I've never had a trigger problem until the Sig.
Reading many other posts on the net, there are a few folks commenting on the poor trigger of their particular Sig P238, and others that like it just fine. It may be my grip with this particular gun, but I don't think so.
Although my earlier posted 'fix' with a file has done the job of making the gun a better shooter for me, I am going to investigate dropping a different trigger in the gun.
Thanks for all the comments and I'll update the 'new trigger' project if it becomes a reality.
Ron
Old June 2, 2012, 02:06 PM   #10
Ron7624

TO: mooney1el on stainless trigger

"but found a stainless trigger from partsproduction; so that will get installed tomorrow or Saturday"
So how did the install go? can you feel a difference in the pull?
Thanks,
Ron
Old June 2, 2012, 03:58 PM   #11
9mm

If you have big fingers then yes it has a bite. I just notice the bottom of the trigger is sharp. But my fingers are so small it doesn't bother me because they ride high.

FYI you can buy zombie green houge grips for these sigs p238's lol!
Old June 3, 2012, 08:53 AM   #12
Nakanokalronin

I put a stainless trigger on my P238 from Partsproduction over a year ago and it does make the trigger feel more solid. I never got bit with the old one but I will say that the metal upgrade is worth it. It did not require any fitting.

Old June 4, 2012, 03:50 PM   #13
dajowi

You could have had Tool Tech install night sights on the Colt and saved some money. Unless of course you just wanted to buy a new gun
Old June 5, 2012, 10:31 AM   #14
lcpiper

I am trying to find this partsproduction website but having no luck, who are you guys getting these triggers from?
Old June 5, 2012, 11:35 AM   #15
mooney1el

Search for partsproduction over on the SIG forum (http://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc...382#6580058382) and in his posts he lists an email. I think he is in Oregon. There is a video on youtube showing him installing the trigger (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jh2v_-87DRM)..it was that easy for me except for the installation of the trigger bar. I actually had to get my wife to put the pin in while I held the trigger bar in position while compressing the spring.

I understand you can use aluminum the trigger for a Colt Mustang available from Brownells too.(http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=2...UMINUM-TRIGGER)
Old June 5, 2012, 12:45 PM   #16
lcpiper

Thank You, That's what I needed.
Old June 11, 2012, 09:45 PM   #17
mooney1el

Sorry I missed the earlier question Ron. The install was easy, just like the video said except for the pin that holds the trigger bar.

As for a change in trigger pull, I really can't say for sure. I had to replace the sear spring at the same time as the stainless trigger install because it had gotten bent sometime in its life. As purchased, the trigger was short with little tactile feedback. Currently, the trigger is crisp and clean and I have not yet measured the pull. The reset is hardly discernible.

I am going to the range this week and will compare mine to another new P238 and will report back differences etc.

Richard
Old June 11, 2012, 11:16 PM   #18
Straitshot

I just recently bought a P238 and I don't think it has a plastic trigger. It is black in color. I will look more closely. Sorry if this sounds stupid, but how do you tell if it is plastic?
Old June 12, 2012, 12:37 AM   #19
scottl

Quote:
Sorry if this sounds stupid, but how do you tell if it is plastic?
Magnet
Old June 18, 2012, 07:15 PM   #20
mooney1el

I said I would be back with a report. Unfortunately, I have not had the time to get to the range, but I did measure the trigger pull and it is 5.5-6 pounds after the installation of the stainless trigger and new sear spring.
Old June 18, 2012, 08:19 PM   #21
9mm

I think I got one bite, that was because I put my finger on the very bottom of the trigger, and yes its sharp from the factory that way. Just don't put your finger down there.....
Old June 30, 2012, 07:43 AM   #22
Scottjd

I just bought the gun last week. Was looking for a better CCW in the summer spring than my P229R. I love the size, and went to the range this week to test it out. 250 rounds, one miss fire and that's all. I put the bullet back in and pulled the trigger and it went bang. Hard primer maybe? It was it full battery when I checked after it went click.

I wanted the P938 at first but I read mixed reviews, and it's new so I will wait knowing how many adjustments they did to the 238 over time. It was accurate at 7yrds as expected. Even at 50 feet slow fire I hit bullseye two times with the other 4 in the next ring. That impressed me.

Anyway, so on therapy home I noticed a blister on the inside of my right hand finger. I have long skinny fingers, not thick ones. This is we're the trigger would bite. I didnt notice bite while shooting but it was blistered so I have to assume. I think I will also be trying a new trigger or modding mine with a file.

Tags
colt mustang , sig sauer p238 , trigger