The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old November 28, 2022, 05:54 PM   #1
CCCLVII

Marlin 1895 for side matches

Still very new to SASS and saw that there is a rifle side match. I have a marlin 1895SBL in 45/70. What would it take to make this SASS legal? I can pretty easily take the rail off, anything else needed?

The stock is a grey laminate. The hobby is very expensive and look at ways to save money and keep the wife happy.
Old January 11, 2023, 03:25 PM   #2
Jbar4Ranch

Nothing will make it SASS-legal, per se, as it can't be used in Cowboy Action matches, but it can be used as a side match rifle at bigger/multi-day CAS matches that offer long-range side match events. Get rid of the rail, and install a barrel mounted open sight - open = can't be a ring sight. Better yet, for longer ranges, install a tang sight, and a bubble level front globe. Receiver sights aren't allowed. Lead bullets, of course, jacketed bullets aren't allowed, but gas checks are OK for long range side matches.

Refer to pages 29-31 for basic long range rules.

https://www.sassnet.com/uploads/down...0-%20FINAL.pdf

SASS 47015
Old January 11, 2023, 04:12 PM   #3
FrankenMauser

No matter what you do, it won't look the part.
That, alone, can be grounds for disqualifying it, if you get a judge that wants to be a jerk.

---

CASS/SASS/WEASS/WASA/SASA/COWS/WETF rules drive me nuts.
Among other complaints, "No receiver sights" is purely a cosmetic rule. No basis in history or tradition, just movies and false nostalgia. Receiver sights predate the majority of the rifle models being used in matches today, as well as the cartridges of choice.

I guess it shouldn't bug me, though. The point is not the shooting. Rather, it is all about dancing around in costume, while pretending to have a purpose.

"NO RECEIVER SIGHTS OR FEATHERED COWBOY HATS!!!"
--> Steps up to the firing line in a costume sewn in India, wearing Taiwanese shoes, carrying a Chinese-made smart phone, with a Brazilian-made, 2021 production Rossi 1892 in .357 Mag, shooting smokeless Serbian ammo with an Italian headstamp, at targets twelve feet away (made in Vietnam), to pretend to be an "Old West" cowboy.
Old January 11, 2023, 04:16 PM   #4
Hawg

The fiber optic front sight is also a no go. I'm not sure about the laminate stock but I'd think it would be a no go.