The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old May 2, 2011, 08:10 AM   #1
C0untZer0

Are people honest about why they have a "rotation" of CCW guns?

I think guns like cars, have for different people varying degrees of emotional or psychological involvement

I’ve heard people say that a gun is just a tool – that’s it. But it’s not that way for all people. I am not at all emotionally attached to my microwave oven, clothes dryer or cordless drill. They are all just tools – supposedly like my guns and my car.

Cars are a good example – at their base level they are a transportation device and people shouldn’t be any more attached to them than the owner of a trucking company is attached to any of the trucks in his fleet or the owner of a limo service is attached to any particular vehicle in his or her fleet.

But people are attached to their cars and their decision to purchase their car had an emotional and ego component.

I think it’s the same way for a lot of gun owners. I admit to having an emotional attachment to my firearms. I hate taking my H&K P7M8 out now because I don't want to wear the finish down. I want to place it under glass on display somewhere prominent.

I'm wondering how much this plays into some people's behavior with CCW. I can see why you’d have a large collection of range guns, - They are fun! I own a TEC-9M. It’s fun to shoot at the range. It’s a curious weapon to have and people at the range like to look at it. But until zombiepocalypse happens, it has zero utility value. It really has almost zero practical for me.

From a practical standpoint, I can’t see why someone would rotate through a bunch of carry guns. Or I guess I should say - from a practical standpoint I don't see how the advantages of different weapons outweighs the disadvantages of spreading your training among different firearms with different MOA. Any training time you put in on one pistol takes away training time with another pistol. I think the general consensus is, find a gun for carry, train with it and stick with it. I think having a bunch of guns for carry is less about “tuning” your carry for any particular situation and more about just satisfying the itch to handle different guns. It’s not practical, it’s just either emotionally satisfying or it’s gratifying for the ego.

I am trying to think of reasons for having a bunch of carry guns and my own opinion (right now) is that it's basically fun for the person to do it and that's why they do it.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:49 AM   #2
45Gunner

Your post is truly accurate for those of us that take on an attachment for our cars, motorcycles, boats, airplanes, RV's, guns, etc....

I have one EDC gun that I favor over the rest of my guns. With very little exception, it is the gun that I carry with me all the time. It gets shot almost every time I go to the range. However, I have a safe full of other guns that I rotate and take to the range...a range trip for me usually involves not less than three guns plus my EDC gun. I am at the range not less than once a week and most times two to three times per week.

And, if you wondering what the exception is to me carrying that EDC gun 100% of the time: It is a 1911 and experience has taught me that 1911's do not do well with beau coup amounts of mud, dirt, water, crud, or what have you. For those times, I take my favorite H & K.
NRA Life Member
Old May 2, 2011, 09:01 AM   #3
MLeake

I have a rotation, I suppose, although whim has something to do with it. Then again, I practice a lot with anything I might carry, and I've traded or sold those guns that made me work.

In other words, I can reliably hit the 10pt area of a reduced silhouette at typical SD ranges with any of my carry handguns.

Manual of arms is pretty straightforward, too. On the one hand, DA revolvers. On the other, Browning action autos (1911, BHP, FNX). The only exception is a Kahr PM9, but that one is very simple.

As to what gets carried on a given day, it depends in part on what the weather is doing, and what my planned activities are. Some guns hide better with certain types of clothing than do others.

Generally, though, I've been finding myself shooting and carrying my 3" S&W Model 13 more than anything else. It's a natural pointer, and has an extremely smooth DA trigger. Just picked up a 3" S&W Model 65 last week, and once the grips I've ordered for it arrive, it will probably be right up there with the 13.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:06 AM   #4
TailGator

Strictly speaking, it is probably best to practice with just one handgun, and there are plenty of people who own just one.

But people who like handguns, and who therefore sign up for internet forums devoted to handguns, are less likely to stop at one. I personally have only one carry gun, and the others are range toys. But most people who are into handguns a bit can change from one to another that they are familiar with at the range, so I doubt it is a problem for most if they rotate familiar carry guns, either.

So, yes, I agree with your premise that rotating carry guns, or owning more than one handgun at all, is more a matter of desire and enthusiasm for a hobby than real need for most people.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:12 AM   #5
BlueTrain

I agree entirely with your comments but I also like to see the "honest" wear that comes with actually having carried and used the firearms that you have. To an extent, it is the same way with cars but unfortunately in my case, it gets used all the time and it has accumulated its share of honest wear. It doesn't look too bad for 100,000 miles, however, but it's hardly in showroom floor condition. I probably can't expect more than another ten years out of it.

Someone here has posted a photo (in more than one thread) of a S&W Model 29 that looks like it has ridden the range. That's my idea of something that has been giving service, more than just pride of ownership.
Buy War Bonds.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:13 AM   #6
MLeake

TailGator, I see your point; then again, I plan to do IDPA events with each of my normal carry guns, including the BUGs at unofficial events. I suspect I may find myself strongly favoring one, after I put them through some action-oriented testing.

But the proof will be in the pudding.

This will take a few months, though, as I head overseas again in a few weeks.
Old May 2, 2011, 09:21 AM   #7
CWKahrFan

I wear different clothes, different shoes, different guns... quite human I think... Fun? That's a pretty good word to use... pretty good reason. Famous old quote: "Variety is the spice of life." Another: "To each, his own."
Old May 2, 2011, 09:47 AM   #8
C0untZer0

I just know for myself that I have trained on the H&K P7M8 - which I just love... and I think that, under stress if I had a Browning type action I just wouldn't do well. In whatever carry mode I might have it, I would just be squeezing the thing and trying to pull the trigger.

On the other hand, if you do have an interest in guns beyond CCW, I think it's probably going overboard to not shoot anything except your CC gun for fear that you might "unlearn" your MOA or your routine for your CC weapon.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:05 PM   #9
2damnold4this

Some folks like to wear different clothes in the summer than they do in colder months. I could see having different handguns to carry with different clothes. I don't carry a different handgun for different seasons but I do change holster styles.

edit to add: I guess I could see why someone might carry a different firearm if they expected a different threat level.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:42 PM   #10
threegun

My carry rotation includes mostly guns of the same platform, Glock in my case. I rotate thru size and caliber depending on my expected needs. My rotation also includes a super sub compact (diamond back arms 380) both as back up or when my attire simply won't support my smallest Glock, the G26.

This is the honest answer.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:55 PM   #11
Bubba in c.a.

Been there, done that. I think it`s a bad policy to switch guns. It`s a bad habit from being a collector and fun-gun enthusiast.
what I`m working on now is to get 2 of each model for my HD/ccw guns and practice with both to even out the wear and function test them. Exact same model and specs, where possible.

I rememember a post on another website where a guy bragged he had 4 shotguns for HD. He listed them and they were 4 different brands. I hope he can remember where the safety is when somethink goes bump in the night! Better to get 2 of the same model and learn them well.

Each gun-ccw, house handgun, shotgun, carbine, and rifle has its purpose and needs to be taken seriously.
Old May 2, 2011, 05:56 PM   #12
Glenn Dee

I think most of us choose our "TOOLS" as an extention of our personalities. In our personalities we have different moods. Some days I'm in the mood to drive my company vehical, some days it's my own truck, then on other days I feel like driving my car. All three are extensions of my personality.

So it is with my firearms. On one day I may feel particularly vulnerable... and may choose a firearm with bigger, or more bullets. Some days I may feel care free, and choose to carry in minimum.

I also believe we enjoy choice, and change where we can afford to make them.

lol none of this is still any excuse for how many gun's I own...

Glenn D.
Old May 2, 2011, 06:00 PM   #13
Double Naught Spy

From a CCW standpoint, most guns are not sufficiently different in their "MOA" to matter on IOTA. All my 9mm and .45 acp guns are going to be with 5" of another at 25 yards with my poor shooting which means they are going to being within a fraction of an inch of one another at typical self defense distances.

None of my "rotation" pistols are sufficiently different from one another to affect training needs. The one exception would be a NAA Mini revolver I carry as a BUG sometimes, but it isn't a primary.

I have different sizes and weights of carry guns that I can use to cater to my attire. Most are 1911 variants with the exception of a Kahr PM9.
Old May 2, 2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Hook686

Does it matter ?

It works for me to switch handguns whether I am in an urban, suburban, or outback environment.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old May 2, 2011, 08:10 PM   #15
mavracer

Heck yes my carry rotation includes my whims. There's no other reason to have both a Smith 442 and a LCR otherwise. But like vehicals I have little problem swwitching back and fourth and my transportation platfforms vary more than my guns. 400hp Bronco on 37" tires a 500hp mustang a powerstroke diesel a harley and my racecar.
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old May 2, 2011, 08:20 PM   #16
CWKahrFan

My various carry guns are in a mix of calibers, both revolvers and autos BUT they all operate exactly the same! I carry them all with a round chambered. All their triggers are ballpark similar and completely protected in their holsters. None of them have ANY kind of safeties. Simple... Don't have to think at all about their basics. Every one of them is just "draw, point, shoot"... Works for me.

Last edited by CWKahrFan; May 2, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 11:36 PM   #17
TenRing

Sure, it is fun to have a carry rotation. But I have never felt that having a rotation minimizes my effectiveness with any particular gun. Muscle memory tends to take over once I'm familiar with a gun.

I will say that it is very useful to have a functional handgun for which I have little or no love. That's the one I tend to take on canoe trips, sledding trips, wading for salmon or anywhere else that might lead to a wet mess. If the gun gets dinged up or takes on a bit of surface rust, I will wipe it off and then clean it more thoroughly when I get home in a couple of days.

The problem is that the "working gun" proves itself to be darn good and reliable. Then I start liking it more.
Old May 3, 2011, 07:31 AM   #18
WC145

I don't have a "rotation" but I do have a number of guns that I carry dependent on a number of factors - clothing, venue, occasion, etc - one gun does not fit every circumstance. I carry 1911s, except for a S&W J-frame and a Keltec P3AT for those times something bigger just won't work.
"If violent crime is to be curbed, it is only the intended victim who can do it. The felon does not fear the police, and he fears neither judge or jury. Therefore what he must be taught to fear is his victim." - LtCol Jeff Cooper
Old May 3, 2011, 07:36 AM   #19
C0untZer0

Quote:
it is very useful to have a functional handgun for which I have little or no love. That's the one I tend to take on canoe trips, sledding trips, wading for salmon or anywhere else that might lead to a wet mess. - TenRing
I definately identify with that.

When they stopped making H&K P7M8 and the prices for them started to go through the roof, I hated more and more taking mine with me on camping trips where it might get rusty. I started to look at it more as a collector's item and less as a tool. I also felt bad just about taking it in and out of the holster and even cleaning it because I didn't want to wear down the finish.

But the MOA with a P7M8 is very different from any other gun. I was thinking about picking up one of the German Police surplus guns for use and just putting my P7M8 in the safe.

The other option is learn and train on a new pistol.

Last edited by C0untZer0; May 3, 2011 at 07:42 AM.
Old May 3, 2011, 07:39 AM   #20
spacecoast

I've learned that generally speaking the largest gun that will fit the situation is usually the easiest to shoot and will be the most accurate. Carry guns are no different. When I wear loose clothing and my J-frame revolver conceals well in a pocket, I'll take it, when wearing tighter clothing the LCP is my choice for a back pocket.
Old May 3, 2011, 12:28 PM   #21
LockedBreech

I confess that I have an emotional attachment to all my tools that serve a critically important role - usually saving my life. That emotion is generally comfort.

When I'm zipping through metro Denver traffic in my Honda, I am comforted from 7 years of experience that this car will not falter if I take care of it. If I should be in an accident, I trust the safety record of the vehicle.

When I am cutting a difficult piece of material with my Benchmade, I am comforted that the blade won't suddenly snap or bend because I know the quality standards put into these tools.

And with my guns, I am comforted by the fact that I totally refuse to carry anything that won't go bang every single time I pull the trigger. As for rotation? Why that's just a change of flavor, with the same degree of comfort.

Even with basic hand tools. I only buy good quality stuff because I know it won't fly apart on me during a project and take my eye out.

Emotional attachment? Absolutely. I'm not afraid to admit it!
Old May 3, 2011, 01:12 PM   #22
armoredman

I have two, one for summer, one for winter. Winter is larger, with more ammunition, easy to conceal under winter clothing. Summer is small, less ammo, easier to conceal under a lose t-shirt. Both operate the exact same way, from the same company, and both hit dead on, for me.
The third is my stepfather's revolver, a Smith 10-8 38 special with a 4 inch barrel. I always hit what I aim at with it, and don't feel under gunned, but when I carry that one it is more out of a sense of honoring the fallen. It does get carried, but not nearly as much.

Winter, CZ SP-01 Phantom

Summer, CZ P-01

Oh holy cr*p, Phantom and vz-58 in UTG covert case.

Yes, I may legally carry that concealed in this state without a permit or license.

Last edited by armoredman; May 3, 2011 at 01:18 PM.
Old May 3, 2011, 02:31 PM   #23
Mudinyeri

The question is interesting ... and doubly so because of the vehicle comparison. I own more than one vehicle. I also own more than one carry gun. It's a matter of the right tool for the right job.

For instance, I own a Dodge Ram with the Cummins Turbo Diesel engine. I would never enter it in an autocross race. Nor would I pull my trailer and haul my camper with my Jeep Wrangler. I wouldn't ride a motorcycle in sub-zero temperatures with snow and ice on the street.

I've spent enough time driving each of my vehicles that I'm more than competent with each one - even in high-stress situations.

I think the same principles apply to (a) daily carry weapon(s).
Old May 3, 2011, 02:43 PM   #24
markj

I never felt the need to accessorize my daily wear one for winter heavy coat wear, one for spring, fall, summer lite clothes wear. I would hate to find the gun I carry is not the same config as the one I shoot. Fumble for the safety isnt my thing. 1911 for both, same config one is smaller than the other.
Old May 3, 2011, 02:52 PM   #25
Onward Allusion

Quote:
C0untZer0
Are people honest about why they have a "rotation" of CCW guns?
<SNIP>
I am trying to think of reasons for having a bunch of carry guns and my own opinion (right now) is that it's basically fun for the person to do it and that's why they do it.
I do it out of necessity and not because I want to have a good time swapping out my weapons. In my mind, one size does not fit all or even come close.