The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 7, 2010, 10:36 AM   #1
gaseousclay

buying a shotgun online

are there any pros and cons to this? I was checking out the gunsinternational.com site and found a few pump shotguns with decent pricing and from the descriptions they look nice too. However, is there anything I should ask an FFL dealer before following through on a transaction? I'm assuming a lot of you have purchased firearms online - if so, what questions did you ask the seller?
Old August 7, 2010, 01:23 PM   #2
zippy13

I've had good and bad experiences buying on-line/mail order. The big question remains: if there're a problem, will it be corrected to your satisfaction. You may pay more at your LGS, but you can consider the difference as insurance that all will go well. I suspect that at least one of the big box stores uses on-line/mail order sales as a method of dumping guns that were returned.

My neighbor got a deeply discounted black powder revolver. The gun has many minor problems, but my neighbor kept it saying it was just too much hassle to return it and he didn't want to pay the freight again. I suspect the sellers are well aware of this attitude and take advantage of their remote buyers.

Suppose you were selling guns and ordered three identical units from your supplier. Upon inspection, you noticed two of the otherwise identical guns have significantly nicer wood than the third one. Then you get an on-line/mail order for one of the guns. I suspect you'd keep the nicer two for potential walk-in buyers and ship off the Plain Jane. More than once, when buying a new gun, I've gone through the LGS's inventory to select the nicest one -- it's part of the adventure of getting a new gun. Of course, if you're interested in a butt-ugly gun with a synthetic stock, it's a different situation.
Old August 7, 2010, 02:01 PM   #3
gaseousclay

I suppose you're right. if there's a problem with the function of the gun, or an imperfection that wasn't immediately detected in the pictures then I have to worry about seller accountability. I've noticed some of the FFL dealers don't go into to much detail or specifics. some give the basic description of the gun, barrel length and condition, but that's about it. don't get me wrong, i'd like to take advantage of a good deal but some of them seem too good.
Old August 8, 2010, 05:47 AM   #4
zippy13

Gasceousclay, you know the old saw, "It if seems too good to be true, it probably is"
Since this will be your first gun, I recommend against buying a used one on-line. With your lack of experience, you may get a gun with a significant problem that you don't immediately discover. It's hard to return a gun that you've been shooting for a while. I can hear the seller now: "Hairline crack in the ______? So sorry, it must be something new. It was okay when I had it."
Old August 8, 2010, 07:07 AM   #5
swmp9jrm

I've bought several guns, including a shotgun, from Bud's online. I did a lot of research ahead of ordering, so I new what I was getting other than the actual condition of the particular gun they sent. Never an issue with any of them, but I think that Bud's says to look the thing over and don't accept it from your FFL if there's any question. I'm pretty sure they would work to resolve any issues.

So, I don't think there are any worries about buying a shotgun online as long as you are dealing with a reputable dealer. That said, I have taken printouts of the Bud's website price on a couple of guns to my local gun shop, and they've been willing to match the price (actually the price plus the FFL charge). So your other option is to be a well-educated buyer at your LGS.

Above all, do your research before you buy either place - especially since this is your first shotgun. I'd suggest spending some time over at ShotgunWorld.com - you'll find a butt-load of useful info there about pretty much every brand. Click on the forums tab for opinions about everything.

Shotgunworld.com Link
Old August 8, 2010, 10:06 AM   #6
gaseousclay

Quote:
you know the old saw, "It if seems too good to be true, it probably is"
Since this will be your first gun, I recommend against buying a used one on-line. With your lack of experience, you may get a gun with a significant problem that you don't immediately discover. It's hard to return a gun that you've been shooting for a while. I can hear the seller now: "Hairline crack in the ______? So sorry, it must be something new. It was okay when I had it."
you're right. I keep thinking the chances of me buying a defective gun are pretty remote, but on second thought it's not something i'm willing to risk, unless it's from a reputable dealer as swmp9jrm stated.

besides, I still enjoy going into sporting goods stores and feeling the shotgun in my hands
Old August 8, 2010, 02:10 PM   #7
BigJimP

I will always deal with a local dealer - if its a gun he can get. There have been times over the years when I bought on-line because my local dealers couldn't get me one for several months / so I had to go where there was inventory because I wasn't willing to wait on a popular gun I couldnt' get.

But remember - you still have to have the gun shipped to an FFL dealer / and in some states - that means you will have to pay your local state's sales tax, plus transfer fees, etc ... If you are in one of those states, like I am in Washington, you won't save any money buying on-line anyway / but you might be able to get a gun you can't get locally.

Warranty is interesting - at most retailers - locally or on the internet - they provide no warranty work. No matter where you buy it / if you have a problem you will have to ship it to an authorized service center. At big box stores - they have very few if any knowledgeable gun people / but at smaller retailers you may have some very knowledgeable people or a good gunsmith.

For higher end guns / there are some real high end dealers accross the country - that provide warranty, service, etc ... but that's not common on guns valued at less than $5,000 or more....

Like zippy mentioned, I like to have the option to pick the gun I want, with the wood I want, on a gun - so I'd always prefer to shop at a local retailer that can show me 2 or 3 guns of the same model.

Even if it costs me 10 - 15% / I'd just rather spend my money to help my local economy and local retailers. Its worth something to me / to have those guys stay in business. I have a good local shop / where I've bought a number of used guns / and I use him to place my special orders as well ...and he always cuts me a deal, sometimes as low as 10% over his cost ...and even the internet can't touch that cost usually - so its good to develop a good relationship with a local retailer.
Old August 8, 2010, 09:29 PM   #8
gaseousclay

thanks for the tips, gentlemen. i'll keep plugging away at the local stores and hope I come across my future shotgun.

btw, are there any deals to be had since hunting season is just around the corner?
Old August 9, 2010, 07:24 AM   #9
oneounceload

I have bought several guns on line, two of which were shotguns. In both cases, the deal went smoothly. One was for a new gun, the other, used. When buying used, make sure the dealer is reputable and will allow returns. Most do if the gun is not as described. Ask ALL your questions before bidding or buying, get extra pictures sent, etc., and is possible, use a credit card - just some extra protection for you.

Last edited by oneounceload; August 9, 2010 at 11:47 AM. Reason: stupid spelling
Old August 9, 2010, 10:35 AM   #10
Evan Thomas

I'm a little surprised that no one seems to have mentioned this yet, but another advantage of buying from a local store is that the dealer (assuming he knows his stuff) can help you make sure you buy a shotgun that fits you, which is a pretty big deal in terms of getting one that you'll enjoy using -- especially since I gather this will be your first shotgun. If you're lucky, there's one that'll fit you "out of the box," but, regardless, it'll be a huge plus to have a professional, right there on the other side of the counter, to help you with this.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:48 AM   #11
oneounceload

Quote:
it'll be a huge plus to have a professional, right there on the other side of the counter, to help you with this
At least you hope so - unfortunately, it seems that nowadays, that "professional" help is few and far between. If you have that where you live, that's great!
Old August 9, 2010, 10:50 AM   #12
BigJimP

Vanya is right / Fit is the biggest issue on any shotgun ...

but its very naive to think any dealer - will know anything about it / let alone to be able to tell you if the gun fits. None of the dealers in my area - know anything about "Fit" ...and its sad. Its also very difficult to fit a gun in a store unless you're wearing the same vest, etc you intend to shoot in ( and I don't when I go into a store ).

"Fit" is often discussed on the forum / but it means so the gun hits where you look. Your eye is the rear sight / so its a combination of lenght of pull, drop at comb, drop at heel - angle of the comb / or is it a parallel comb ....and all of that affects "Fit". It is best checked at a "pattern board" checking Point of Impact. Shotguns do not come in one size fits all .....

On an angled comb / which many guns have ---- as your face moves up or back as little as 1/2" it moves the muzzle up or down ...and that's a big difference at 35 yrds. Most of us learned to shoot on "angled comb" guns -- but hardly any of them fit us properly - so we adjusted them with pads, etc ....but shooting in a T shirt one day / double coats in winter means the point of impact changes ...and you need to figure it out / or go to a parallel comb gun.
Old August 9, 2010, 10:57 AM   #13
zippy13

Vanya is correct about gun fit.
Yep, there are so many advantages to buying a gun from your LGS, it's easy to overlook one of them.