The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 8, 2010, 01:56 AM   #1
Phil Coggan

Colt info?

I would be intersted if anyone has any info on these from my collection, they're all USA not London.

Phil

Army 122600

Navy 208628

Pocket 310015

Police 3447
Old April 8, 2010, 02:03 AM   #2
Swede68

Not sure what kind of info you´re looking for, but if you haven´t found it allready here´s http://proofhouse.com/colt/index.html a link that gives the year of manufacture for all of your Colt revolvers.

By the way, those are a few very nice antique guns you have there!

Anders Olsson
Old April 8, 2010, 02:48 AM   #3
Phil Coggan

Thanks for the link Anders, looks like my Police was made in the first year of production.
I suppose the info i'm looking for is where they went after production, difficult I know!

Phil
Old April 8, 2010, 04:00 AM   #4
Swede68

I´m no expert on this matter, but unless they´re part of a military contract (and inspected/marked accordingly) the only hope is to turn to Colt for a letter. If Colt can find your serialnumbers in their records, they can possibly tell where (to which dealer) the gun went. A Colt letter costs quite a bit of dough though. Personally, I´d allready have to be very convinced that my gun(s) were something really special before I paid that much money. Say for instance that I had an engraved Colt m1851 Navy and wanted to know whether it was a factory job or not.

The nicest group of collectors/experts online that I know of reside on the forums at antiqueguns.com ( http://www.antiqueguns.com/ ). I´m not sure they can be of any further assistance with just the serialnumbers, but it´s well worth a try.

Anders Olsson

Last edited by Swede68; April 8, 2010 at 04:27 AM.
Old April 8, 2010, 04:46 AM   #5
Phil Coggan

Thanks, i've just posted there with some more of my guns.

Phil
Old April 28, 2010, 05:14 PM   #6
Frontier

Some nice pieces there, Phil. Interesting that the Pocket and the Navy are in English style cases.

Frontier