The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old December 10, 2009, 09:48 PM   #1
DAdams

LED Flashlight 4Sevens Mini Review

It is truly sad when a grown man can get excited about a flashlight....but then well you know, I haven't experienced the stimulation of an new state of the art light for a couple of years...well may a year.

Finally the Quark mini arrived today USPS. It came in an ample protective white bubble pack; my EDC knife could barely open the rascal it was that tough.

Inside the envelope is a sleeve around the box to protect the nicely done 4Sevens box. The top is embossed with the 4Sevens logo and says "Quark Mini". The edge is even labeled with the model number so you can put the protective sleeve back on the case and put it away and easily identify it amongst the many light boxes...hidden away in a discrete place with the knife boxes...

Interior has some padding and a cutout for the flashlight and in this case a 4Sevens brand 123A battery. The lid contains the instructions and specifications. Under the cutout in the base there is an extra gasket and a very nice lanyard and split ring. The lanyard is long enough to wear around the neck and put the light in the shirt pocket. It has adjusters on the cordage.

Specifications:
Battery: 1X123A
Max Brightness: 189 Lumens
Modes: 3 levels + SOS/Strobe/Beacon
Construction: hard anodized aluminum

My concern was that the interface might not be workable with one hand, since it is a twist the head type, not so. Easy to do and sufficient knurling for gripping.

Warranty 10 years.

Interface, twist once low (3 lumens, 6.25 days), twice medium (40 lumens, 8 hours), thrice high (189 lumens , 1.2 hours). XPG R5 is impressive with a good blend of flood and throw.

Price: $39 less the 8% CFP8 discount.

It is nice to have the three level output because 190 lumens would be too much light in the one man tent.

I saw the pictures but didn't read the specifications...this thing is SMALL, 2.25 inches by 3/4 nominal.

I'm glad I did the 123A, since I have the kit Preon coming which can be used in a 1XAAA mode for even smaller carry.

http://www.4sevens.com/product_info....oducts_id=2045

I am impressed with this diminutive light and it will replace the (2 year old) LT1 V2.0 for EDC.