The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old March 1, 2009, 09:09 PM   #1
DanThaMan

Where the hell to buy ammo!?!?!

Site after site and store after store (Walmart included) I cannot seem to find bulk amounts of what I need: 5.56 soft tips for my Rock River, and 9mm for my glock 17. .22 Lr is never in short supply thank goodness my ruger will never have to hang back on range days. Anyways, if you know where I can buy some ammo in bulk post it up for me and for all.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:18 PM   #2
csmsss

Pay attention to the news much? There has been an enormous run on ammunition and reloading equipment and components since it became obvious that Obama was going to assume kingship....er....presidency of the U.S.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:35 PM   #3
DanThaMan

Yes I am aware... I was just wondering if anyone knew of a corner of the market which still had a few bullets to sell.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:39 PM   #4
dm1333

Sault Ste Marie, MI and Cheboygan, MI if you care to make the drive. With the way things have been though I would call the Wal Marts before you actually started your car. I laid eyes on full shelves of ammo just yesterday.
Old March 1, 2009, 09:39 PM   #5
Re4mer

Your best bet is to get out the yellow pages and call around before you drive anywhere. I would set a limit as to how far you are willing to go and then call every store within that radius and see what they have. I have not been hit too hard by the shortages since I am in a town with a lot of sporting good stores.
Old March 2, 2009, 12:50 AM   #6
awaveritt

I could not find any small rifle primers, presumably due to stockpiling by AR owners after the announcement about the imminent assault rifle ban. Cabelas clerk told me they got 10,000 the other day and were all gone by the close of business that day. Checked all the big stores and small shops and one local range in my neck of the woods, all to no avail.
Old March 2, 2009, 10:15 AM   #7
tkcomer

Go here and click on the ammo you want: http://www.gun-deals.com/ammo.php
Old March 2, 2009, 10:49 AM   #8
azredhawk44

Buy your ammo online by the case.

When you go to Walmart or the local neighborhood gun store intermittently to buy your range ammo, you may end up with 115gr 9mm WWB and Remington 55gr FMJ .223 one day, then Federal AmEagle 9mm 124gr and S&B 62g BTHP .223 the next.

The pistol ammo isn't so much of a big deal, but the rifle ammo can dramatically change your sights or your functioning of your rifle. Even more so if you bounce between true brass cased ammo and the wolf/bear steel cased stuff.

If you buy by the thousand-lot though, your sights won't need adjusting to account for different ammo. The recoil pulse of your rifle will be the same. The volume/pressure of gas through your gas port won't change. And you'll get it cheaper per-round.

Wideners is a good resource.
http://www.wideners.com

So is ammoman.
http://www.ammoman.com
Old March 2, 2009, 10:59 AM   #9
McM1900

part of teh problem is that instead of buying the two to four boxes a month they used to buy every TD&H is getting paranoid and buying a case. They find a store with 600-800 rounds of a caliber/brand in stock, go all paranoid, and buy the stock out. The next guy comes in, sees all the ammo gone, and when he finds some; he buys the store out.

Wash, rinse, repeat as desired. It is a self fulfilling prophecy and a vicious cycle.
Old March 2, 2009, 06:37 PM   #10
srt 10 jimbo

Just order it online , have it shiped UPS
Old March 2, 2009, 06:39 PM   #11
P99AS9

Quote:
There has been an enormous run on ammunition and reloading equipment and components since it became obvious that Obama was going to assume kingship....er....presidency of the U.S.
Don't you mean assume dictatorship?
Old March 2, 2009, 07:16 PM   #12
ThreeStepsAhead

Yea, the dictator who has the power of "hope-nosis" on his side.

"Be polite and courteous to everyone, but always have a plan to kill them."
Old March 2, 2009, 07:41 PM   #13
JWT

As others have said, buy it on line. Order larger quantities to offset the shipping costs. Lots of good vendors available. I've had very good service from Wideners and Natchez to name a few. Most sites will let you know what's in stock and some will notify you via E-mail when they have something you want in stock.

Due to the heavy demand many on line vendors are taking a bit longer than usual to ship.
Old March 2, 2009, 07:57 PM   #14
KLRANGL

Any good gun shows in your area? Was plenty of 223 and 9mm cases at the show here this weekend, everything is just more expensive lately... I get my bulk ammo through my local pawn shop of all places, since he gets good deals every once in a while...

Tags
5.56 , ammo , bulk , bullets , site