The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old August 5, 2008, 10:52 AM   #1
Renny

Rossi Puma 92 38Sp convert to 357 ?

Would it be safe to convert a Rossi Puma 38 Spetial to a 357 magnum ?
Old August 5, 2008, 01:13 PM   #2
Bill DeShivs

I don't recall the Rossi ever being made in .38 Spl. I thought they all were .357 magnum (and other calibers.)
Is it marked .38 special?
Old August 5, 2008, 01:54 PM   #3
Renny

Yes its markt 38 Spl and the 357 mag goas in almost all the way just as ina 38 revolver.
Old August 5, 2008, 04:06 PM   #4
Bill DeShivs

Interesting!
I'm sure the chamber can be safely reamed to .357. The gun is now made in .357 and much more powerful calibers.
Of course, don't try it until the chamber is reamed!
Old August 5, 2008, 07:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

I would not convert that gun. Just because a similar gun is made in .357 doesn't mean the .38 version can be converted. S&W stretched and blew a fair number of K-frame .38's before they found the right steel and heat treatment combination for the Model 19. Even then, the Model 19 has had trouble with a steady diet of .357.

Jim
Old August 5, 2008, 11:47 PM   #6
SIGSHR

You must have an export model that was never sold in the USA. However, have you cleaned the chamber thoroughly? Someone might have fired so many
.38 Specials that residue-powder, lube, etc-has built up in the chamber to
prevent .357s from chambering.
Old August 6, 2008, 07:29 AM   #7
Renny

I am in Southamerica, Paraguay, i see them frome time to time and i have had one 10 years back that wus markt 38 spl but id did shoot 357 ammo as well. I did some research and ask some local gunsmiths and they say it has bin done before. But i am still not sure i will do it
Old August 6, 2008, 04:27 PM   #8
Harry Bonar

38/357

Sir;
Jim is right (as usual) and we don't know if they used a different steel for their 357s! There is more to consider here that just reaming out your cylinders - stick with the 38 special loads.
Harry B.
Old August 10, 2008, 12:35 AM   #9
SRG

Harry and Jim, et al., I believe the gentleman is talking about the Rossi '92 Lever Action Rifle. Yes, there were some that were made for the .38 special only. To convert it, one would have to lengthen the chamber and also get a new lifter as the stop on the .357 lifter would have to be further back to accommodate the longer cartridge. This gun was specifically made for the Cowboy Action Shooter, whereas the guns made for .38 and .357 sometimes have feeding problems when cycled at the rates that some CAS people do. Since .357 cartridges exceed the f.p.s. allowed by CAS rules, hand-loaders will download the .357 case to .38 special velocities and avoid the feeding issues encountered when loading the shorter .38 special case onto the lifter, which does not align the bullet quite with the chamber.

Hope the long-winded explanation was clear enough.
Old August 13, 2008, 01:35 PM   #10
Renny

yes i am talking about the leveraction rossi rifle, i now that some people have done it but i am not sure about it
Old August 14, 2008, 08:42 AM   #11
Harry Bonar

38-357

Yes, I thought it was a revolver. None the less the barrel could be constructed of a different steel and the feed mechanism could need modifying - I'm not sure.
The 38 special while rather anemic by todays standards yet I can remember when Police in WVa. carried a 32 revolver!
We are overpowered today, in both rifles and handguns.
A handgun is for the most part a defensive weapon. Yet with modern calibers they can be offensive weapons.
Naturally, myself being older I decry the abandonment of the flintlock and percussion traditional muzzle loaders. Were I still able and needed to cross great distances by myself I would choose a flintlock muzzle loader; I could always find lead, flints and powder in the wild (you can make black powder!) I do not include the new "in-line" abortions and sabots which are abortions in my opinion! Bubble packed in lines, sabots and scopes on them aren't muzzle loaders to me.
Harry B.