The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 28, 2002, 03:04 PM   #1
frontlander

Jim Crews Some of the Answer, Urban Shotgun Manual: Review

Howdy. This manual has been reviewed previously on this forum but I wanted to bring it to the attention of the newcomers or those who might have missed it the first time. "Some of the Answer, Urban Shotgun" will answer close to 90% of the questions that are asked by new shotgun owners on this forum. The manual is definitely no substitute for training by a qualified instructor, but it does provide the proper framework of safe gun handling and weapon knowledge that is the bedrock of any training program. The author's writing and instruction style is summed up in the first part of the title of the manual, Some of the Answer. He is definitely not of the "My way or the highway" school of thought that seems to infect some of the better known firearms prima donnas...er...instructors. Instead he goes out of his way to show all of the options to the student/reader, allowing the student/reader to make his own choice.

The author covers the operation of the main shotgun weapons systems in use today: Remington slide action and autoloaders, Mossberg slide action, Benelli autoloader, and even the double barreled coach gun. Use of the carry strap, safety engagement/disengagement, making ready/making safe, select load techniques from both side saddle and buttcuff, shooting techniques and positions, malfunction identifation and clearance are all covered in detail with accompanying photographs. Modifications are discussed in detail: sight systems (ghost rings, rifle sights, beads), flashlights (both weapon mounted and hand held), magazine extension pros/cons. One of the most useful sections is the pattern testing of the different brands of buckshot through different types of choke systems (Vang Comp, Patternmaster, Remchokes). The discussion of the danger of secondary missiles (wads, buffer material, etc.) from both buckshot and slugs is very enlightening, to say the least.

Basic tactics are discussed including how to search, how to utilize the weapon mounted light, how to move and maneuver with the shotgun, and how to shoot on the move. The tactics covered are very basic and are naturally no substitute for proper instruction.

The book concludes with a discussion of the various shotgun target systems used during training and practice. The author even describes in detail how to best construct a hanging steel plate system right down to what type of weld pattern to use! The last page of the manual is a nifty shotgun patterning target that can also be used as a handgun and rifle target. I made photocopies of mine (that author gives permission to copy the target for your own use) and use them often.

"Some of the Answer, Urban Shotgun" can be ordered directly from Jim Crews at:

Marksman's Enterprise
Jim Crews
P0 Box 556
Stevensville MT 59870
Phone: 406-777-3557

or check out his website at:
www.marksmans.com
Email: [email protected]
Old July 29, 2002, 06:49 PM   #2
norielX

I thoroughly enjoyed this manual

I did answer many of my questions, like which slug and buck to use, and which guns are easier to manipulate than others.

I only wish that there could have been a hint at which buck and slugs were used, so I won't have to cut open any shells.

I look forward to any future updates to this book, like adding more shotguns.