The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old July 21, 2002, 11:11 PM   #1
kehrby

Rattley rib on Red Label

I saw a little farther down where a guy was asking about a nova that rattles. That reminded me of my Ruger Red Label which I absolutely adore but when you are cleaning the gun the rib rattles. You don't notice it when using or carrying but if you tap it just right it rattles. Anyone else with this problem?Thanks guys.
Old July 22, 2002, 12:13 AM   #2
Chuck Dye

Absolutely no experience with the Red Label, rattling or not. I have, however dealt with Ruger on several occasions involving my Rugers and those of friends. My experience is that, if you own a Ruger and it doesn't work, it will be made right-even if the problem is clearly the user's fault and not Ruger's. I have never been allowed to pay for the service or any of the parts I have been given over the years. While I am the original purchaser of all of my Rugers, I have helped with two which had passed through many owners before landing in my friends' lockers-they received the same service. Call them, they will advise you how to get started.
Old July 22, 2002, 06:22 AM   #3
Al Thompson
Staff Alumnus

IIRC, one of the real shotgunners mentioned that rib rattling on the Ruger is common. Try a search using red label as your key.

Second Huck's comments on Ruger service. Give'em a call if it really bugs you.
Old July 22, 2002, 07:23 AM   #4
Rhill1

Kehbry,
I have two Red Labels that are a couple of years old with lite use and both ribs rattle. I think its pretty common with these guns.
Bob

P.S. They're great field guns!
Old July 24, 2002, 11:09 PM   #5
HSMITH

The rib on the red label is only attached at the front end, hte rest of it is on a very loose dovetail. This keeps the heat of the barrels from affecting the rib. Any ribbed shotgun of decent manufacture is made this way, lots of brownings rattle too, and berettas. Worry when it comes off.
Old July 24, 2002, 11:38 PM   #6
kehrby

Thanks everyone for your replies. I really love this gun and

I was just curious about the "problem". I don't think I'll worry about it.
Old July 25, 2002, 06:19 AM   #7
K80Geoff

The Red Label has it's rib soldered only at both ends. The rest of the rib is "Dovetailed' into the supports along the barrel. Because the rib is not soldered at every contact point the dovetails often work loose and the rib rattles.

In my experience one out of three guns will have this "issue". My late 20 ga rattled but it did not seem to affect it's operation. The new owner said he did not notice the problem.