The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 10, 2013, 12:29 PM   #1
Railcar

Winchester 1300 NWTF Feed Issues

I am a newcomer to the world of shotguns, I mainly use rifles and semi auto pistols, so I hope someone can help me. I got a 1300 NWTF edition from my wife for Valentines day. Every time I take it to the range I get at least 1 time where it double feeds and jams. I am using 2 3/4 Fedderal shells (the hundred pack from Wally World) and Winchester AA light target loads, but it also happened with 3" Mag slugs, and OO Buck (what can I say I got a new gun might as well throw a little of everything out of it) Anyone know how to fix this? She got me the gun used, and I am about an hours drive from a gunsmith, so anything I could do on my own would be appreciated.
Old April 10, 2013, 06:57 PM   #2
dwaawd

Check this thread discussion for one possible fix.
http://www.thehighroad.org/archive/i.../t-417213.html
Old April 11, 2013, 04:48 PM   #3
WCW

If your shotgun is clean, then I do think you have something either worn or broken. My 1300 has been flawless with any load I’ve run through it. The culprit is likely the shell stop. The only other remote possibility I can think of is that the rims of the shells are somehow a little out of spec and not catching the stop properly, but that would be very unusual, and something I have never encountered. Let us know what the solution was.
Old April 22, 2013, 10:48 AM   #4
Railcar

Looks like it will be a trip to the smith then. I wish I knew shotguns like I know semi and bolt rifles.
Old April 28, 2013, 02:34 AM   #5
RMcL

The shell stops on the 1200 and 1300 series are riveted in place. If those rivets allow any play, double feeds are inevitable. I have had this happen with a 1200. The only real solution is to replace the shell stop assembly. Better yet replace both left and right assemblies at the same time. These parts are easily replaced without recourse to a gunsmith.

A short term solution is to use the gun as a two shot repeater, then a double feed cannot happen.