The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old May 26, 2012, 11:22 AM   #1
jlb43

Uberti Whitneyville question

I just got my new Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon from Buffalo Arms. Love it! It completes my Dragoon collection for now. I have a question though regarding identifying the Whitneyville as opposed to the Walker or the 1st Dragoon. I know the Walker is bigger and I know the grips on the Whitneyville and the subsequent Dragoons are different but I am confused about the screws. I have read that the Whitneyville does not have screws protruding from the right side of the frame like a Walker. Uberti's catalog shows their Whitneyville without those screw heads. The one I just received has the correct grip design but also has the screws on the right side of the frame. I believe it is a Uberti. Can anyone clarify what is technically correct?
Old May 29, 2012, 08:35 AM   #2
tripe1917

The Whitneyville had shorter trigger and cylinder stop screws, so they didn't go completely through the frame. I am considering purchasing a Whitneyville from Buffalo Arms this or next week but I can get a 1st or 2nd model from S&S Firearms for $50 less. Do you think the Cimmaron/Uberti Whitneyville warrants the extra money in quality when compared to a straight Uberti dragoon?
Old May 29, 2012, 09:22 AM   #3
Willie Sutton

Having bought "Taylor's Imported Uberti" stuff from both S&S (as a walk-in customer) and from other sources, as well as Cimarron imported Uberti's from Texas Jacks, I can say categorically that you are better off with the basic Uberti's as imported by Taylors (who supply S&S). The Cimarron stuff is identical, save for "extra and very non-authentic markings" applied to the BBL, while the "Taylor's" imports are very discreetly marked under the loading lever. The fit and finish is identical, the quality is identical, and the Taylor's imported stuff is less expensive.

S&S is a TINY storefront in the strangest place possible to sell this stuff, a run-down city block in the middle or the typical urban street-scene. Inside they have TONS of stuff for reinactors. Their actual BP Revolver inventory "on hand" is usually pretty small, as in perhaps a dozen all together. They order from Taylors, who are notorious for being backlogged. S&S is a small family run busines, the kind of three-generation business that you definately want to support. I love doing business with them. I felt really.... weird.... carrying out three boxes containing three (beautiful) BP revolvers down the street past the rappers to my truck there... it was surreal.

Texas Jacks, on the other hand (the retail outlet for Cimarron) was a nightmare to deal with. Promised shipping dates missed, wrong items (wrong model pistols) shipped, failure to send a call tag for a return as promised, very long wait time for a refund after items were finally returned, phone calls and emails not returned (while trying to place the original order),... etc., etc., etc. I would categorically not recommend doing business there.

Looks like Buffalo Arms is another reseller of the Cimarron imports. I'd be interested to hear what is now marked on them. Mine were so childishly marked that I sent them back. "Saml. Cotl, New Jork" on the BBL my ass... and that was just a start.

Bottom line is that a "X model Dragoon" from S&S or Cimarron are going to be identical Uberti products same for the (odd) markings applied to the Cimarron stuff.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; May 29, 2012 at 09:34 AM.
Old May 29, 2012, 12:18 PM   #4
jlb43

As I said, the screws on the gun I received do go all the way through. I contacted Buffalo Arms and he checked the one he has left and they go through on that one also. They were too look into it further and let me know what they learned. The gun is marked on the barrel top Cimarron. I cannot speak as to "quality" but it sure is pretty. I will not be shooting it. I have one "shooter" and the rest are safe queens.

I cannot find another dealer that has one in stock so that they could actually look at the gun. The only stocking dealer I found was Cabela's and was told they unfortunately are not set up to do that but they are confident that the Uberti is "period correct" without protruding screws, and I could return it if it was not and they would eat the freight.

Willie

You may have answered where this Paterson came from. It supposedly is a Uberti also. see pic
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 4596363.jpg (21.3 KB, 48 views)
Old May 29, 2012, 02:19 PM   #5
Hardcase

The Cimarron Dragoon that I bought from Buffalo Arms last month has "Address Cimarron Firearms, Fredericksburg, TX" in the style of the original Colt markings. I thought that it looked appropriate.

Interestingly, mine came in an Uberti box with no mention anywhere that it was a Cimarron.
Old May 29, 2012, 02:31 PM   #6
Willie Sutton

Glad yours was marked OK. The three (various models) I bought were marked like... well... like a drunken Italian had made up some nonsense to put on them.

The ones from Taylors have the "black powder only" markings under the loading lever and nothing else, which suits me just fine.

They are all pretty, aren't they?

Willie

Old May 29, 2012, 04:04 PM   #7
jlb43

Hardcase

Mine is marked the same way as yours. I don't have a problem with that. My gun also came in a Uberti box but it does say Cimarron on the side label. If yours is a Whitneyville model are the trigger screws coming through on the right hand side of the frame?

I have found several pictures of real Whitneyville Dragoons, not reproductions, and the screws DO NOT show on the right side of the gun. The picture(s) in Uberti's (and Cimarron's) catalog(s) also show no screws on the right.

This Uberti replica may have been correct once upon a time, but Uberti has probably decided they can save a few pennies by drilling straight through, like all the other revolvers they make, it was a small detail anyway.
Old May 29, 2012, 04:27 PM   #8
zullo74

This what a Whitneyville Dragoon is supposed to look like....

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Colt Whitneyville Dragoon.jpg (60.3 KB, 329 views)
Old May 29, 2012, 06:08 PM   #9
jlb43

Zullo

Thank Yew. No screws there!

jlb
Old May 29, 2012, 06:19 PM   #10
tripe1917

I can fully agree with Willie S. on the quality of Taylor's and S&S Firearms products and customer service since I have bought pistols from both companies. I also had a Lemat with some cosmetic needs and the repair work done by Tony at Taylors was flawless. I didn't realize Taylor's was S&S's supplier since S&S seems to be a little less expensive on several models they sell. I may ask S&S if they can obtain a Whitneyville and price quote since they aren't listed in their catalogue.
Old May 29, 2012, 07:22 PM   #11
Willie Sutton

S&S puts in a standard order continuously with Taylors, and takes pretty much whatever they send. I spent an hour with the owners talking about the supply and demand for Uberti C&B stuff, and the comment was that they are always short supplied. They can certainly put you on a wish-list for the stuff, I am waiting for a few goodies myself to arrive. Patience is a virtue in this game. They do not order all models, but they will tack on special requests to their orders if you ask.

You could not ask for better folks to deal with, in any event.

Willie

Old May 29, 2012, 11:13 PM   #12
tripe1917

I will probably put in a request this week and see what they can do. I noticed Williams Sports has them at a good price, but I have never bought from them so I will try S&S first.
Old May 30, 2012, 01:29 PM   #13
jlb43

Just received a reply from Cimarron on this matter. He agreed with me and the Whitneyville trigger screws should not be seen on the right side. He said it appears Uberti made the change without Cimarron's knowledge and that it is not correct for a Whitneyville Dragoon.

The gentleman from Cimarron, who sent me the response said he was going to email the owner of Cimarron and Uberti about this. Which, I suppose, is really all he can do.

So I guess that for the foreseeable future at least, no matter who you buy it from, a Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon, while being a very beautiful gun, is not going to be technically correct to the original 1848 Colt version.
Old May 30, 2012, 02:21 PM   #14
Willie Sutton

It will be six weeks before I can check, but there's a gun store in the mojave desert near where I spend summers, that has had a Uberti Whitneyville Dragoon in the case for several years. I'll look at it and report.

Willie

Old May 30, 2012, 05:32 PM   #15
Hardcase

Quote:
If yours is a Whitneyville model are the trigger screws coming through on the right hand side of the frame?
Mine is a second model Dragoon. I suspect that you're right about the screws - it was probably a matter of economy.
Old May 30, 2012, 09:08 PM   #16
tripe1917

I called Taylors today and they have a consignment of Whitneyville's from Uberti on order. They don't know when they will arrive, but I plan to get a description of the frames when they do.
Old June 9, 2012, 03:30 PM   #17
jlb43

Several days ago I received an answer to an email I had sent to Uberti regarding this issue. I actually had forgot I had even sent it. The reply was brief and to the point. "No, there are no screws visible on the right side except the hammer pin". So I went shopping and found a dealer who actually looked at his gun and said no screws were showing. I bought the gun, contacted Buffalo Arms about a return, and they were very gracious and agreed to refund my money including freight both ways. I got the new piece today and the label on the Uberti box says Taylor's (I did not buy it from Taylor's directly) and it is correct. No screws on the right. My apologies to Uberti.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0021.jpg (144.5 KB, 29 views)
Old June 11, 2012, 04:14 PM   #18
Hardcase

And two thumbs up for Buffalo Arms. Those folks are some of the best in the business. And they're a hoot in person - if you're ever passing through northern Idaho, you've got to stop by and say hello.