The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 1, 2012, 01:11 PM   #1
turps

Best pocket pistol ever made?

A lot of collectors consider this the best pocket pistol ever made and the most difficult to take apart? Remington Mod.51
Joe
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 013.jpg (233.6 KB, 205 views)
File Type: jpg 014.jpg (226.7 KB, 135 views)
Old January 1, 2012, 04:02 PM   #2
mkk41

No doubt it was a good one. The genius of Mr. Pederson cannot be denied. Though IMO , it's a bit big for pocket carry.

I've watched a few poeple almost pull their hair out trying to figure out how to strip down an Ortgies pistol. They have NO screws , not even to hold the grip panels on. There's a latch inside the mag well to remove them.
Old January 1, 2012, 04:02 PM   #3
BlueTrain

If not the best, certainly the sleekest. My vote, however, goes to the Savage .32 and .380 pistols. I've only owned one and the trigger wasn't so great but it was certainly easy to take apart.

Nice photos, by the way.
Buy War Bonds.
Old January 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #4
dreamweaver

two of my favorite pistols!
1908 colt .380 is another favorite.

Old January 1, 2012, 05:56 PM   #5
gyvel

Without a doubt, it is the FN/Browning Model 1910. No sights, hammers or angular corners to snag in a pocket, and very easy to field strip. Excellent, positive safeties.

The separate breechblock on the Remington 51 is prone to cracking in the rear where the roller is, and the Savages have a tendency to go full auto as the fire control parts start to age and wear.
Old January 1, 2012, 06:51 PM   #6
dogtown tom

Quote:
turps A lot of collectors consider this the best pocket pistol ever made and the most difficult to take apart? Remington Mod.51
Joe
I agree. It is the BEST pointing handgun you'll ever hold.

I heartily disagree with those who say its difficult to take apart. The Remington 51 is one of the easiest pistols to disassemble, (and no tools needed)

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 1, 2012, 06:52 PM   #7
dogtown tom

Quote:
gyvel Without a doubt, it is the FN/Browning Model 1910.
Not even close.

Plano, Texas...........the Gun Nut Capitol of Gun Culture, USA https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pELwCqz2JfE
Old January 2, 2012, 04:46 AM   #8
gyvel

Quote:
Not even close.
Quote:
I agree. It is the BEST pointing handgun you'll ever hold.

I heartily disagree with those who say its difficult to take apart. The Remington 51 is one of the easiest pistols to disassemble, (and no tools needed)
You gotta be kidding me!! I agree with the best pointing aspect, but that gun is nowhere near as easy to take apart as the Browning 1910.

I've worked on many of each and I guarantee I can have five 1910s apart and back together before you can do even one Model 51. (I'm talking about a complete down to pins and springs disassembly. For a field strip, I could probably do two to your one.)

And, like it or not, that separate breechblock in the 51 is a relatively fragile part, and totally unneccessary for the .380.

The little 1910 is one of the best small pocket .380s you can carry in your pants pocket and not worry about something snagging on the way out

And, although I don't recommend it, the extremely positive nature of its safeties make it relatively safe to carry with a round in the chamber.

So, yeah, I would say it's very close.

If only that company in Texas had gone ahead with their plan to remake them about 20 years ago.
Old January 2, 2012, 08:31 AM   #9
mete

The M51 is the thinnest 380 and the lightest recoil due to it's delayed blowback action . Can't remember taking it apart but there is a trick to taking off the grips. Should have kept mine !
Old January 2, 2012, 09:14 AM   #10
madcratebuilder

Quote:
Best pocket pistol ever made?
NO

My best pocket pistol vote would go to Colt or Walther. The Colt vest pocket or the Walther Model 9 define pocket pistol.
Old January 2, 2012, 04:47 PM   #11
Scorch

Maybe I'm weird, but when I think of a pocket pistol, I get the image of either a Colt 1903/1908 Pocket Hammerless, or a Walther PPK. I dunno, that's just me. But anyway, if the Remington or the Savage were the epitome of a pocket pistol, they never convinced the buying public.
Old January 2, 2012, 06:09 PM   #12
David the Gnome

I really like this little guy, although I'd never carry it as it's in such good condition.

Old January 2, 2012, 09:20 PM   #13
James K
Member In Memoriam

It is a bit easier to understand the complexities of the Remington and Savage pistols if you realize that the designers (Pedersen and Searle) had to work around patents for a combined slide and breechblock and for grips held on by screws. Who held those patents? One guess.

Jim