The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 4, 2010, 07:50 PM   #1
nefprotector

.32 H&R Magnum loads

Ok as most of you know. I have been looking up components etc for my NEF .32 H&R mag revolver. I finally recieved everything today. Yippy!! But I have a few questions. First I have starline brass, Wolf primers, Hornady 90 grain SWC bullets and a can of Unique. (Does this stuff ever run out?) Lee reloading guide says starting load 3.1 grains Max load is 3.7 grains. Me I trust my 3.5 grain decision. (Lee loads are kinda watered down.) Here is where the problem begins. data says OAL 1.180. If I seat the bullet that deep then the bullet is almost completely inside the brass. So to solve this I loaded it to 1.350 OAL. Shoots great! Can I add more ummp?
Old February 4, 2010, 08:30 PM   #2
jepp2

Per Hornady 7'th ed

Per the Hornady 7'th edition for your bullet, with a C.O.L. of 1.350", the range for Unique was 2.7 gr (700 fps) to a max load of 3.6 gr (900 fps).

So in answer to your question "can I add more ummp", you don't have much room to work with.

But my question would be, why would you want to? You are shooting a swaged bullet that is soft and very prone to leading at higher pressure/velocities. I try to stay around 700 fps with swaged bullets to minimize leading and conserve powder.

YMMV
Old February 4, 2010, 08:48 PM   #3
nefprotector

cool thanks.

ps
Im going to pull a few 98 grain SJHP bullets from my .32 S&W long. What are you recomendations? Using Unique ofcourse.
Old February 4, 2010, 09:00 PM   #4
zxcvbob

According to QuickLoad, you can go up to about 4.5 grains of Unique with those 90 grain SWC's @ 1.35". (you may not want to go that high)