The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 10, 2009, 12:42 PM   #26
johnmai

Hopefully TFL members aren't AARP members. They have an anti-gun agenda.
Old September 10, 2009, 03:05 PM   #27
markj

Out in the country you will find a lot of 60 year old men that can hand out one heck of an ass whoopin. One I know showed me his gun room, not a safe but a room. He has his Dads 1911 he carried into battle in WW2 on a plaque on the wall. Wouldnt sell it for any cost, it is going to the grandkids.

When I was in my 30s I got into it with a guy was over 60 and 6' 5 and strong. He hit me with a foor tray in mickey Ds place after he made rude comments about a worker and I stupidly said something just as rude. If I was smaller and weaker he would have messed me up bad.

My Uncle a deputy for over 30 years could whup just about anyone any day of his life, had arms like popeye

Hey tho, birthdays are good for ya, the more ya have the longer ya live
Old September 11, 2009, 09:52 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

As an old friend of mine put it...

He's in his early 60s

"fighting me is a losing proposition. If you win, you kicked an old guys ass. No honor there. If I win, you got you ass kicked by an old guy! Less honor there!"

But I won't fight, so don't worry. If I have to, I'll kill you. But I won't fight."

Kind of says it all, I think.
Old September 11, 2009, 11:03 AM   #29
rantingredneck

I was raised by my grandparents.

My grandfather served in WWII (Navy) and Korea (Army). He was an easy going fellow who didn't get riled very often but when he did, he could handle himself. He did some boxing during his Navy years.

I remember in my teens and early 20's when I was heavily into martial arts I would get home from the dojo and start play boxing with him. He could cover up and hit me at the same time, not hard, more like open hand touches. I could not do the same with him. I had fast hands. His were much faster.

He spent his working life after the military as a pipeline construction superintendant. His hands were hard and he didn't work behind a desk. He finally retired for good in his early 70's. Cancer and time caught up with him at 77. I remember one of his doctors in the hospital when he was admitted asking me his age. I told him 77, and he said, "Did I understand that the man on the gurney in front of me is only 3 years shy of his 80th birthday?" I said, "Yes." He replied, "He's in damn fine shape for someone of his age, look at the muscle tone and mass he's retained." I said, "Yeah he's a tough one alright." And I meant it.........

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old September 11, 2009, 01:39 PM   #30
Bartholomew Roberts

A legitimate threat in general or a legitimate threat justifying the use of deadly force?

If the latter, then it isn't enough that the old man is in good physical condition and a master martial artist. You must show that you had an immediate fear of death or serious injury.

Even if we assume that the person is a master martial artist capable of causing death or serious injury as an unarmed 61-yr old man, we would still have to show the grand jury that you knew that information since they would frown on allowing people to shoot other unarmed people on the basis that they MIGHT be master martial artists.
Old September 11, 2009, 02:16 PM   #31
MLeake

That isn't the point, oh pirate captain...

... although the previous thread did juxtapose disparity of force between a large, fit 61yo and a toddler...

The point is that age doesn't automatically make somebody a soft target, and shouldn't unduly influence one's perception to the point that one discounts the potential threat, whether one is the defender, or a potential juror.

The point is also that an unarmed 60+ can still potentially do damage to a young, healthy man, and even more to a small woman or a smaller child.
Old September 18, 2009, 01:08 PM   #32
TEDDY

We don't do blood lust statements bragging about our abilities to kill.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; September 18, 2009 at 05:41 PM. Reason: Blood Lust