The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 9, 2009, 12:52 PM   #1
bullelk

.45-70 Govt.

Anyone know the MINIMUN case length for .45-70? I can find info for maximum at 2.55". I have a new model 1886.
Old May 9, 2009, 03:06 PM   #2
Rob96

2.55 is the length including the bullet.
Old May 9, 2009, 04:22 PM   #3
Randy 1911

According to my Speer manual, the max case length is 2.105 and a "trim-to" is 2.095.
Old May 25, 2009, 01:15 AM   #4
B78-22250

45-70

Both gentlemen are correct and their information agrees with speer 11, lyman 45 and lyman 48. I don't know what you are shooting. But I am shooting a Nef SS. Loading to level 2 1886 pressures. 400g speer and 300 sierra hp. RX7 50g. for both loads sub moa at 100yds. This was a published load by craig boddington many years ago. I have killed several whitetails and they act as though they have been ran over by a amtrack train. Dot. Dead on the track.
Old May 25, 2009, 02:08 AM   #5
Shoney

bullelk

WELCOME TO THE FORUM!!

The three posts above are right on target. Terms for new reloader can be confusing.

The Case Length is also often referred to as the Maximum Case Length.

The Trim Length of a case is almost universally 0.010" shorter than the case length.

When you put a case, primer, powder, and bullet together it is a Cartridge, and its Over All Length OAL or sometimes also callsed Cartridge Overall Length COL and is measured from the face of the head to the tip of the bullet.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 25, 2009, 07:40 AM   #6
Xwrench3

2.095 is correct. if you are using a lee hand trimmer for the first time, be caerful. it is possible to trim them to far. i found this out the hard way when i first started loading them, and bought the lee hand trimmer. the deal is the "depth rod" can be screwed in to far, chopping off more case than you need. by the way, i am still using those cases that are trimmed to 2.050". i have to be very careful with them though. they are to short to flare or crimp. so bullets seating is fun, and i have to load them singly directly into the chamber. typicaly, i use them to work up a load from scratch. when i get close, i switch to regular length cases.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:53 AM   #7
snuffy

Xwrench, if that lee trimmer cut too short, it is defective. It is SUPPOSED to screw all the way tight against the cutter and trim to the proper length. Call lee, tell them it's trimming too short, I'm positive they will make it right.

+1 on the welcome to TFL bullelk.

They're going to get their butts kicked over there this election. How come people can't spell and use words correctly?
Old May 25, 2009, 06:05 PM   #8
Xwrench3

snuffy, actually several of my lee trimmers do the same thing. i did send them back to lee, along with the cutter itself. i asked them to try to figure out which was defective, and replace it. they sent all of them back to me, saying that everything that i had sent them was "within spec.". so now i cautiosly spin 1 turn at a time, until the case is within spec. i will be replacing all of this with a forester case trimmer soon. then i will have the big job of cutting all of my brass that is not loaded to the same length. then all the rest as i shoot it.
Old May 25, 2009, 10:43 PM   #9
Ruger4570

I am not sure the standard Forster trimmer will accept the 45-70 rim. I have 2of them and Forster said they would open up the hole to work, but I had to buy a new shell holder. The work was free so I had one of them opened up to hold the 45-70 rim.
For the money, it is real hard to beat the Forster trimmer for the price, by now I think I have every attachment they make from inside reamers, outside neck turners and all the rest. Great product for sure.