The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 7, 2005, 03:08 PM   #1
partyguy816

Barrel De-Resonator

I saw a post some where on the internet about this new product from limbsaver. Does anyone own this? Could it actually work? It seems that with something on the barrel, it would make accuracy worse. I don't know though. Here is the link.

http://www.limbsaver.com/limbsaver/f...rrelderes.aspx
Old February 8, 2005, 01:15 AM   #2
mikikanazawa

Gun barrels do "ring" when you shoot 'em. I'm not sure if the amplitude is enough to throw off a shot (maybe at huge distances), but it looks as though this product will definitely damp barrel vibrations.

Now the $64,000 question is: Are damped barrels more accurate?
Old February 8, 2005, 01:37 AM   #3
partyguy816

I guess someone needs to buy one and test it for everyone. LOL. Any volunteers?
Old February 8, 2005, 09:05 AM   #4
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

Check out the BOSS system from Browning. I think they license it some , too.

The Boss can make a huge difference with non-premium factory ammunition over quite modest distances. Shooting a sandbagged Browning Safari II from a bench at a hundred measured yards and using Remington 180 grain CoreLokts; I have shot a five shot 3/4 inch group. 300 Winchester Magnum. Tuning the BOSS to find the sweet spot can be ammunition exhaustive at times. I've had it take a couple of boxes. Set wrong it can open up the groups.

If my understanding of the concept is correct, it does not dampen/ eliminate barrel resonation or whip. Rather, it tunes the barrel so that it resonates identically with every shot. This allows the bullet to leave the muzzle at the same location with every shot, thus improving accuracy.

I have no experience with the Limbsaver device. I think I'll stick with the BOSS.
Old February 8, 2005, 12:44 PM   #5
partyguy816

Isn't the boss a muzzle break? Sorry but I don't want one on any of my hunting rifles.
Old February 8, 2005, 03:17 PM   #6
Jim Watson

The BOSS is available with solid sleeve so it is nothing but an adjustable counterweight for hunters without earplugs.

This rubber thingy is only $20, why don't you get one and report back here?
Better than waiting on some magazine writer, you KNOW he will love it.
Old February 8, 2005, 07:47 PM   #7
HSMITH

Don't know about the barrel thingy, but I LOVE Limbsaver products. I have several archery related products and nothing on the market even compares. The recoil pads for rifles are nice too. Based on my experience Limbsaver as a company is worth a $20 gamble. Warm weather and rifle shooting is months off here so I won't be the guinea pig........
Old February 8, 2005, 08:16 PM   #8
bergie

Checked the website, have to say that I have seen that much improvement in groups just by wedging a matchbook cover in the forend on a couple of different rifles. A pressure pad inside the tip of the stock is an old trick and a lot less ugly.
bergie
Old February 8, 2005, 08:37 PM   #9
partyguy816

Well I don't have any issues as for as accuracy is concerned. So this would pretty much be pointless for me to own. I was just bringing it out because it was something new, and I didn't see how it could do something like that. Looking at that target on their website and depending on how large it is, I'd say you've got a problem if your rounds are jumping around like that.