The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 5, 2000, 05:36 PM   #1
steve j

Our local trap club contracts with an outfit to clean up the lead shot about every other year. The clean up equipment is a single unit which drives about the range skimming the top soil (which is bone dry) and gravity separates the shot. Are there other pieces of equipment or clean up techniques that could be used to clean up lead shot from a marshy area?
Old April 6, 2000, 12:34 AM   #2
jcoyoung

At first I though this was a post about shotshell reloading gone wrong. You know, charge bar full of shot, no shell under it, pull the handle, [click!], pssshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, 1-1/8 oz of shot all over. My buddy and I still look back at our first shotshell reloading sessions and laugh our a$$es off!

I don't know what the local club does to recover shot in the field. I use a vacuum cleaner in my reloading room. It's not quite powerful enough to suck all the shot out of the carpet. I still vacuum up a renegade pellet every now and then.
Old April 7, 2000, 07:58 AM   #3
steve j

You are right jcoyoung-the topic description isn't very definitive. The NRA web site listed some contacts for lead shot reclamation so I'm in the process of giving each of them a call to see if some type of equipment exists that will relaim shot from a marsh. Thanks for your reply.
Old April 7, 2000, 11:58 AM   #4
jcoyoung

Sounds like that soil skimming machine might be cool to watch. Kind of like most people's facination with the Zamboni machine at the ice rink.

Good luck with your search.