The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 17, 2021, 02:52 PM   #1
yournodaisy

Kimber 1911 10mm help

Ok folks, Ive been out of the 1911 game for some time now. I just purchased a new Kimber TLE RL II 1911 Custom 10mm. Went to the range. Shooting Federal 180gr FMJ and Winchester Silvertips 175Gr. Every other shot the slide catch would halfway engage the slide locking it back. This would happen an average of four times out of an 8 round Kimber factory magazine. The gun is new, I did not strip and clean before shooting. I love the way this gun looks and shoots when it does. After the last shot, the slide catch fully locks in place and locks the slide back like it supposed to. What is causing the slide catch to halfway engage during shooting rendering it a single shot? My plan is to strip and clean, then try better mags like maybe Wilson Combat mags. I really want to keep this gun. Please tell me it's probably and magazine issue Thanks for yalls help in advance.
Old January 17, 2021, 03:03 PM   #2
Steve in Allentown,

Quote:
Originally Posted by yournodaisy View Post
Every other shot the slide catch would halfway engage the slide locking it back.
Step 1 is to shoot the pistol one-handed to determine if your support hand is bumping into the slide stop and lifting it while shooting.

If you continue to have premature lock-back, closely inspect the slide stop lug for copper smears indicating contact between it and the bullets. You can also remove the slide and slowly push a loaded magazine up into the mag well to see if there's contact between the lug and the bullets.

If there is contact, carefully file the lug at the spot where the contact is happening. The idea is to remove just enough metal to prevent the contact from happening. Be very careful not to remove too much or the slide stop won't lock the slide open after the last round.

Or, you can send the pistol back to Kimber and ask them to fix it for you.
Old January 17, 2021, 03:04 PM   #3
rc

Had the same problem. Some ammo works and some doesn't as you described. I suspect I need a divit drilled to keep the slide stop down. I don't shoot it much.
Old January 17, 2021, 03:06 PM   #4
RickB

I'd check the tip of the slide stop plunger; is it protruding from the plunger tube, and is it "springy", popping forward when depressed and released?
Old January 17, 2021, 09:43 PM   #5
yournodaisy

Thanks for all the answers. Gonna try making sure my grips not affecting slide stop. Wish I had thought about one handed shooting before I left the range. 40 minute drive to range. Needed extra mags anyway so ordered Wilson Combat mags as well. We'll see what happens. Thanks again.
Old January 17, 2021, 09:45 PM   #6
rc

I had the same issue with a Kahr and it drove me crazy till I got a new slide stop. Then it was good to go.
Old January 18, 2021, 12:53 AM   #7
bamaranger

malady

Premature slide lock is a common 1911 bug. In my experience, there are three common causes:
-shooter induced by bumping the slide lock lever externally in recoil
-nose of the projectile feeding up bumps the slide lock lever internally
-caused inertially by recoil and slide velocity effecting movement of the
slide lock lever

If you determine it is an ammo issue, changing projectile types MIGHT solve the problem of internal bump. It is a common practice to LIGHTLY dimple the face of the slide lock lever to address issues 2 & 3. There are also aftermarket slide lock levers made with a step machined in the face that will help to retain the lever against the plunger. It is also possible that your plunger is sticking (possible with a new gunked gun) or a weak plunger spring. I have also read about folks solving prelock by using recoil buffer or a heavier recoil spring to soften slide slap against the frame.
Old January 19, 2021, 09:58 AM   #8
Road_Clam

I have the Kimber Target II LS in 10mm and its a flawless shooter now. I did have FTFs and FTEs when it was new. Kimbers tend to be very tight when new. The 10mms also come with very stiff mag springs. It took about 400 rounds before i started seeing better functioning consistiency. I also did a light polishing on all my guide rails with 600 emery and some oil. This helped quite a bit. Like others commented try shooting rh and lh and try resting your thumb on top of the slide lock lever and add downward pressure whil shooting to try to isolate the locking issue.
Old January 20, 2021, 04:41 AM   #9
WESHOOT2

check for bullet marks on the slide stop......