The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old March 31, 2019, 09:48 AM   #1
wbw

Taurus TX-22 or M&P22 Compact

Hey folks,
I've got the itch to get a new .22 pistol and am liking the new TX-22 and the M&P22 Compact. Both are light weight plastic pistols with the Taurus holding 16 rounds and the M&P22 holding 10 rounds. I believe the TX-22 is striker fired and I believe the M&P is hammer fired but not certain. I believe that the Taurus is made in the US and I'm pretty sure that the M&P22 Compact is made here also. The slides of both are made of Aluminum alloy, not pot metal. Both are easy to take down, which is a big plus for me. I can get the TX-22 for $331 out the door and the M&P22 Compact in FDE (which I'm liking a lot) for $375 OTD. Those are the facts as I know them.

The subjective elements are hard to pin down. I saw the TX-22 at a gun show so there was a zip tie through the barrel so I couldn't really play with the slide or trigger. I've read good things about the Taurus trigger. Not sure about the M&P trigger. I'm feeling like the TX-22 trigger would be the better of the two. But my gut is telling me that the M&P is probably better built. The Taurus is very new on the market so not a lot of history there, but reviews so far have been very good. Reviews of the M&P are very good also. So I'm not sure which way to go.

Any input from you folks would be appreciated. And don't tell me to get both of them. The wife would shoot me
Old March 31, 2019, 10:12 AM   #2
Ricklin

PLINKING

I'm fairly fussy about the trigger for a plinking pistol.

I would buy the one with the best trigger.
Old March 31, 2019, 10:49 AM   #3
great scot

Can’t speak to the TX22, but my m&p22 Compact is sensational. Good trigger, great sights, and is reliable as the day is long. High recommend.
Old March 31, 2019, 11:36 AM   #4
sigarms228

The Taurus TX-22 looks to be quite a bit bigger than the M&P 22 Compact from what I can see so that may make a difference in how it fits one's hands and trigger reach. I have the M&P 22 Compact and it is really nice though a little small for me but I bought it primarily for wife and daughter. The trigger on my M&P 22 Compact is pretty nice and it has an internal hammer. If I was looking for a more full size combat style .22 pistol I would probably get the Walther PPQ 22.

Old March 31, 2019, 05:41 PM   #5
GarandTd

I have no experience with the TX-22. I have the M&P 22 compact. The slide is easy to manipulate and the mags are easy to load. The M&P is smallish, but I get a full grip on it. It feels good in my hand and I shoot it well. It's light and felt strange at 1st, but I got used to the weight quickly. It is crazy reliable. I had a minor issue with my adjustable sight. S&W sent me what I needed without much hassle. If you plan to use a suppressor, know that there are 2 different versions of the M&P. Both have threaded barrels, but one is suppressor ready and the other would require the purchase of the thread adaptor.
Old March 31, 2019, 09:41 PM   #6
Boarhunter

I have both, but cannot recommend one over the other. They are sufficiently dissimilar to make direct comparison difficult. I suggest you fondle them both and pick which fits your needs best.

BOARHUNTER
Old April 1, 2019, 06:49 AM   #7
Rangegod

TX22 for the Win

I have both, plus the SR22 and a half dozen other 22's autos. If you are looking for a realistic 22 plinker/trainer/range fun gun, I don't think you can do better than the TX. Its size, capacity, accuracy and function make it a great trainer/understudy for larger arms. The only down side is that the trigger is SO GOOD it may spoil you, making your other guns feel lame. The M&P 22 Compact is a nice gun, reliable and accurate, but it is rather small, with lower capacity and the trigger is average at best.
Old April 2, 2019, 02:30 PM   #8
triplebike

Rangegod is spot on the money!
I have had my TX22 for about a month now. I have never had so much fun & enjoyed shooting a handgun as much as the Taurus. It eats every brand or quality of 22 I throw at it. I can't remember the last time it failed to do anything but run flawlessly. I must have well over 3000 rds fired & it just keeps running better & better. It is very accurate and soooo easy to control while shooting. I have shot a lot of 22's but the TX22 has been the easiest to shoot accurately. It's rivals my PPQ's trigger to the point where I might favor the Taurus's trigger. Mags are available from Taurus online for $22 each, so no breaking the bank there. (Ive already purchased two more) If your looking for a really fun 22 check one out.
Old April 2, 2019, 05:06 PM   #9
wbw

triplebike said "If your looking for a really fun 22 check one out."

I have and I've ordered one. Thanks for the review.
Old April 7, 2019, 08:24 PM   #10
Mackie244Bud

Unless the Taurus really blows away the S&W M&P 22 Compact then it comes down to the company's. themselves..
Which Company do you want to be with?

S&W or Taurus?
I think that answer is easy.....
Old April 8, 2019, 04:48 AM   #11
Ibmikey

My M&P Compact is a sweetheart of a pistol for plinking fun, just the right size and weight for something to carry on the trail yet offers a great deal of firepower. Although not match accuracy the pistol is accurate for all needs in the woods or plinking at the range or backyard.
My experience with Taurus would not let me consider another.

Last edited by Ibmikey; April 8, 2019 at 04:53 AM.
Old April 8, 2019, 09:33 PM   #12
kymasabe

My daughter had a Taurus TCP that didn't survive its first range visit and had to go back to Taurus. Customer service was horrible and they had the gun for 16 weeks !! I'll never buy another Taurus because of it. Their new .22 might be a great gun, but good luck if you ever need to send it back, you won't see your gun for months. !!
Old April 8, 2019, 10:00 PM   #13
riffraff

I've got a couple SR22's and they are great, I can bump the mags to 17 rounds, but after shooting the M&P there is definitely one in the near future for me - both reliability and the trigger I feel beat the SR22 (ie the M&P will run junk ammo).. Hopefully they will get popular enough where we will see support for extended capacity products.

Taurus - not a big fan, certainly not when the "expensive" gun that Taurus makes a cheaper version of is < $500 anyway.
Old April 9, 2019, 07:58 PM   #14
Bfglowkey

I have the M&P 22 Full sized and its a nice pistol. It does get picky with any ammo that is less then 1050 FPS. But that's just physics...need a little more juice to cycle the slide. I will be doing some polishing etc to see if I can smooth things out a bit more otherwise it will keep the groups in 2" circle at 25 ft easy. Put a little laser on it and it makes it like cheat code.
The TX22 is a step in the right direction for Tarus. They have been the butt of many jokes for years but honestly their quality has begun to trend upwards. That little pistol is very very solid and I would purchase it with confidence.
Old April 12, 2019, 05:06 PM   #15
Carl the Floor Walker

Taurus has really been upping their game. A lot of nice products that seem to be doing well. From all accounts the new TX 22 is looking like a rising star. In the meantime, Ruger appears to be asleep at the wheel.
Old April 13, 2019, 05:10 AM   #16
Bfglowkey

I think the 2 strongest things going for the Tarus are the trigger and the fact it is a striker fire which aids in training. I went with the M&P because the long game is my daughter wants to learn and she likes the M&P line for when she is ready for 9mm. For now she has a very similar platform she is practicing on that she can afford to feed ( college student on a budget that insists she will carry her own weight and not let me pay for everything anymore...I know I have no idea what I put in her water but I have a team of scientists working around the clock)
Old April 14, 2019, 01:57 PM   #17
Carl the Floor Walker

Was able to handle the TS22 today. No where near as big as it looks on paper. Felt very nice, light weight, well balanced. A whole of very positive reviews of this gun. I want one. Bravo to Taurus on this one. It appears they have a big winner!
Old April 21, 2019, 08:44 PM   #18
GoF150xlt

M&P 22 Compact

I have an M&P 22 Compact and I love it. One of my favorites. No experience with the Taurus.
Old April 23, 2019, 05:03 AM   #19
Ibmikey

The S&W “Compact” is a completely different pistol than the foreign made full size pistol and ten times more ergonomic and reliable gobbling up all kinds of bulk ammo and the price of the Compact places it in a very competitive light.
Old April 23, 2019, 03:11 PM   #20
sigarms228

Sootch review comparing both just came out.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npZrvpb5V1c
Old April 27, 2019, 06:54 PM   #21
dsk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackie244Bud View Post
Unless the Taurus really blows away the S&W M&P 22 Compact then it comes down to the company's. themselves..
Which Company do you want to be with?

S&W or Taurus?
I think that answer is easy.....
Neither company has a sterling track record as far as customer service is concerned. I have an MP22C and I really like it, but it's not the most accurate .22 I have ever fired. I have yet to see a TX-22 for sale locally.
Old May 2, 2019, 12:30 AM   #22
sigxder

Have both. The TX 22 is the first Taurus I have bought in a long time. It has been flawless. In my first two and a half weeks I have ran close to 1500 rounds through it and not one problem. Great trigger, feeds anything, very accurate,
16+1 round magazines. Solid little pistol.
M&P Compact. Thousands of rounds through it. Very seldom any problems with it. In fact I wore the firing pin and spring out I shot it so much. Smith sent me a shipping label. Had it back in two weeks fixed. Great customer service. My previous experience with Taurus Customer service is not good. Hope I don't need it.
Have several M&P's that I CCW. The Compact was to be a sub caliber trainer for the bigger guns. Trigger, sights, everything pretty much M&P. Except it is more like a single stack Shield in the grip department. Had to put some Talon grips on mine to get a good purchase. Grip really tiny for my hands.
The Taurus is a great sub caliber generic trainer for the current crop of G19 sized guns. So to me each one has it's own purpose. Either will be excellent for a fun plinker, trainer for beginners, trail gun. The M&P would be easier to carry do to it's smaller size on walks on the trails. The Taurus would give you 16+1 rounds in a larger package. Just have to figure out which would meet your needs better. Both excellent little .22's. And not picky on ammo like a lot of the newer .22's.
Old May 12, 2019, 08:57 PM   #23
batmann

I haven’t handled the Taurus, but I have an M&P 22 and it is a great little pistol.
I have shot close to 1,000 rounds of all different brands of 22LR through it and I
Have not had a single hiccup. It’s as accurate as I can shoot, handles well and is threaded for a can if I want.
I had a Ruger SR22p that I traded for the S&W because the slide came of while shooting. Ruger fixed it, but something about it come back in my face did it for me.
Old May 13, 2019, 11:42 AM   #24
wbw

I'm the OP here. I ended up buying the TX22 some time in April and love it. 400 rounds through it now with zero problems. Really a fun gun.