The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 13, 2019, 11:29 AM   #26
Cheapshooter

Each to their own, but I see no problem shooting my LCP often. Maybe not every range trip, but at least 25-50 rounds several times a year, and always at least two mags of fmj range ammo.
I couldn't go with a Sig 238 for several reasons. No cocked and locked exposed hammer SAO for me. No safety to possibly fumble, or even forget in a high stress situation either. Don't see a reason to spend more than twice the price for a pocket pistol when the LCP does an excellent job. Finally, at almost twice the weight, and a bit larger overall size, the 238 feels like a brick in my pocket.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 13, 2019, 11:42 AM   #27
rt11002003

I've owned several .380 ACP pistols (6?). The one I found most pleasant and accurate to shoot is my SIG p232. And, it's easy to carry. m/b not everyone's idea of a pocket pistol. My experience with the .380 cartridge is that it's a snappy round, likely because the guns are small and light weight. However, I've owned a couple of Kimber 9mm's that are less snappy than most of the .380's I've experienced. I currently carry a Kimber9, swapping off with a Shield .45ACP depending conditions. Been considering a SIG p365 to replace the Kimber9.
Old May 13, 2019, 07:32 PM   #28
gc70

There is a substantial difference in the felt recoil between blowback and locked-breech .380s of the same size. I generally find blowback .380s have sharper recoil than 9mm pistols of similar size. Locked-breech .380s have very mild felt recoil.
Old May 13, 2019, 09:06 PM   #29
GarandTd

I like the rm380. I agree that it is underrated. I have not experienced any problems with mine and it is comfortable to shoot. It is not as easy to shoot as a full size, but I don't think it is unpleasant or painful. It is at least worth consideration and very competetively priced.
Old May 14, 2019, 07:25 AM   #30
SATRP

This is not intended to initiate a cartridge debate. It's merely an observation. With specifically designed compact 9MM's that are not much larger than compact .380's, it might be wise to determine whether a Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM would be a suitable substitute for a pocket .380. With the right clothes, I could pocket carry an EMP 3 9MM.
Old May 14, 2019, 09:49 AM   #31
lonniemike

P3AT, a small nine is not pocket friendly for most pockets. Now do the right thing, have it in a holster, and it's even less pocket friendly. Same things apply to another small package, the P365. They both work great IWB, Append, or Larger pockets.
380 or smaller for Small pockets is best. I thought that I'd upgrade from the blow back to locked breech with the LCP some years ago. It didn't work for me. After break-in, my TCP's runs excellently. I don't feel much love for Taurus in the net. But I did buy a second TCP, both run great. The TCP's did have teething problems, unlike my G2c or P365, which have run without a hiccup. I'm approaching 1000 rounds for them both. MagPro magazines made a useful tight fitting mag for my TCP's. BestAll
Old May 14, 2019, 09:55 AM   #32
kmw1954

Another worthless 2 cents.

I have 2 380 pistols and neither would be considered pocket pistols. One is a Witness Pavona and the other is a 380EZ. I like them both and shoot them both. they were not purchased as carry guns. They were purchased as range training guns.

I have shot my brothers LCP and hated it. a two finger grip is not for me.
Old May 14, 2019, 01:44 PM   #33
TailGator

Quote:
Sig 238 ain't much smaller than the LC-9, if at all
A half inch in both directions makes a pretty big difference in a lot of pockets.
Old May 14, 2019, 02:53 PM   #34
1MoreFord

I've got two .380's. I've had my PPK for many years and back when purchased it was considered as a small pistol. Now I've got a LCP Custom and while it's not the most pleasant pistol to shoot it sure is easy to carry and disappears with ease. The only .380 I'm know of that hides better is a Seecamp and I Don't want to shoot one of those. The .32acp version of the Seecamp is all I want to shoot in that size pistol.

I do recommend a LCP Custom for those of you who understand it is a carry a lot and shoot a little kind of SD pistol.

Last edited by 1MoreFord; May 14, 2019 at 03:01 PM.
Old May 14, 2019, 04:31 PM   #35
zincwarrior

Browning 1911 380 Black label is a similar concept but in .380 per the OP. Its basically a scaled down .45ACP.

Recoil is minimal.
Old May 14, 2019, 05:52 PM   #36
Cosmodragoon

Quote:
My three possibilities are Ruger LCP, Ruger LCP2 and S&W Bodyguard.
I'm familiar with all three. I carried the Bodyguard for a while and never managed to train around the trigger. It's my fault for carrying something I hadn't mastered but I almost got into a real jam because of it. Of these three, I'd recommend the LCP2 because it doesn't have a terrible trigger.

In general, I don't love .380. The guns are small and that's the main selling point. As we've seen in some of the comments here, that comes with its own drawbacks. Something we are discussing in another thread on pocket carry is the possibility of a small revolver. As you may have noticed, there is a noticeable size gap between smaller guns in .380 and 9mm. Depending on how you carry, an LCR or J-frame can fall somewhere in between due to shape differences. They can be more comfortable to shoot in some calibers and have decent DA triggers.
Old May 14, 2019, 06:28 PM   #37
Carl the Floor Walker

Which one is the best? Do a search on this forum. There are a few that are a vast cut above some of the others. Build quality, mild shooting, durability, magazines, sights, etc. Break down the guns side by side. Compare parts, sights, ability to change out to night sighs, best trigger for safety and shooting. You have to do some research. There is one gun mentioned on many post in this thread that I feel is the most OVER rated pocket gun I have ever owned.

And do not buy into the garbage that they are NOT range guns. They are. Train diligently with them and they can do wonders. They can be fast to the draw, and deadly accurate at center mass shooting. You HAVE to train on a regular basis.

Last edited by Carl the Floor Walker; May 14, 2019 at 06:52 PM.
Old May 14, 2019, 07:24 PM   #38
Ruger45LC

I'd probably get a G42, I've had the LCP/LCPII and they're smaller but they're not real good to shoot. If you want a 380 that's actually a good shooter and still quite small, the G42. It's big enough to tame it down but small enough to hide well.
Old May 14, 2019, 10:02 PM   #39
Auto5

1st gen LCP. Its not a fun gun to shoot, but it goes anywhere.
Old May 15, 2019, 01:05 AM   #40
pwc

Look at Bersa in Firestorm or Thunder. Less than $300, closer to $150 - $200. Like mine: long trigger, but otherwise no complaint.
Old May 15, 2019, 05:09 AM   #41
PSP

I chose the Beretta Pico as my pocket carry because it has every feature I desire in a pocket gun; DAO trigger, ultra thin profile, snag free and small overall. It also has the modular design that allows complete takedown in seconds, the ability to have three different frames with integrated light or laser or plain-Jane. The Pico has excellent sights. Mine has been completely reliable with a wide variety of ammo. Choose either the flat base mag or an extended mag base. The price is right and the quality is high. Personally I use the laser equipped model and like it very much.

Last edited by PSP; May 15, 2019 at 05:22 AM.
Old May 15, 2019, 06:13 AM   #42
JERRYS.

since everyone is throwing in the kitchen sink sized guns (compared to the OP's likely preference of the LCP sized guns) I say the G42. and for the folks that say that ABC is only a little bigger than the LCP.... the 43 is only a little bigger than the 42, and the 43x is only a little bigger than the 43, then the 39 is only a little bigger..... and so on.
Old May 15, 2019, 06:50 AM   #43
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by SATRP View Post
This is not intended to initiate a cartridge debate. It's merely an observation. With specifically designed compact 9MM's that are not much larger than compact .380's, it might be wise to determine whether a Springfield Armory EMP 3 9MM would be a suitable substitute for a pocket .380. With the right clothes, I could pocket carry an EMP 3 9MM.
Anything I own, I'm keen to shoot it..a lot..The LCP was no FTS(FunToShoot), so away it went. My G42 is GREAT to shoot..easy to EDC..I just bought a G43..that little bit of added weight and size DOES make the G42 a little easier to carry..for me. The G43 is not nearly as much FTS as the G42..the 'issue' with a lot of small 9mm..I had a Ruger LC-9s..small, smooth, easy to carry but no fun to shoot..

"Tools not Trophies”
Old May 15, 2019, 07:40 AM   #44
CLYA

My wife is a Glock fan. I'm not. The Sig 238 is my preferred pocket pistol, out of the three different .380s I own. I don't care to pocket carry any 9mms, as they go IWB, with the Sig 365 or Shield 45ACP being my preference.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:52 AM   #45
jar

Like my 380s. Regardless of anything else I might carry a 380 will almost always be with me.
Old May 15, 2019, 07:59 AM   #46
sarge83

I bought a used Taurus TCP .380 in stainless at a local pawn/gun establishment a couple of years ago and carry it in a Mika pocket holster which I highly recommend for pocket carry, especially Jframes, the holster stays put and the firearms slides out easily. It has been a pleasant surprise and has replaced my pocket carry piece of over 15 years a Kel-Tec P32 which has been flawless.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:04 AM   #47
tallball

I've had a Kel-tec P3AT, an "original" LCP, an LCPII, and a Pico. IMHO the ones larger than these aren't actual pocket pistols.

I prefer the LCPII due to the good sights and superior trigger.

The Pico has the best sights, not a great trigger, and the grip is too short due to the trigger guard being too large. However, it does seem to be a sturdier pistol than the others.

The P3AT and "original" LCP were okay.

I carry the LCPII often. It's not a lot of fun to shoot, but it doesn't hurt my hand if I'm careful. I can carry it in any pants pocket, or the breast pocket of something like a large flannel shirt.
Old May 15, 2019, 08:08 AM   #48
Cheapshooter

I just have a hard time grasping this whole "LCP isn't fun to shoot" thing. Is it an age thing where younger shooters expect everything to be this cushy, soft thing? Is it an experience thing where those that think the LCP recoil too snappy haven't shot a lot of things that really kick? Don't know, but what I do know is that I enjoy shooting my LCP. Along with my LCR, CM9, XD40 Subcompact, and Glock G20. All at one time or another I have heard described as having snappy or heavy recoil.
The LCP, a gun that is carried a lot, and shot little. Not mine, more like carried always, and shot often.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old May 15, 2019, 09:30 AM   #49
rpseraph

I have a Ruger LCPII in a front pocket kydex holster. Is it fun to shoot? NO! I can shoot it accurately, it conceals well, and I haven't had any reliability issues.

If fact, this last weekend I cleared out my carry ammo (I do this annually, I don't know why) and it was a uniquely UNPLEASANT experience. But... I got all rounds in the torso, pulled from concealment. And that's the point.

If I want to have fun shooting I'll shoot a full size 9 or 45, thanks.
Don't just train your trigger finger... train how to use your medkit, train your mind with books, train your soul in church, train to be a better spouse, train to be a better parent. Be well-rounded, the world needs you to be.
Old May 15, 2019, 10:43 AM   #50
peterg7

Quote:
Originally Posted by batmann View Post
When you are talking LCP, of which I have, it is a deep carry pistol. It’s not a target pistol, it’s not a combat pistol, but its

the pistol you slip in a coat pocket, cargo pocket and you don’t know it’s there.Does it it’s have faults? Of course.

But it does what is designed to do, provide you with a true lightweight, concealed carry that is there when you need it. The other weapons mentioned are fine pistols, but for my purposes, I’ll keep my LCP

Since there’s no “like” button I’ll +1 you.

My LCP has been with me since 2010 the one thing I’ll add to your concise comments is that with my LCP in pocket I’ve found that adding another gun (Shield9) still leaves me at an overall comfortable carry weight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk