The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 1, 2012, 10:54 PM   #51
Joe_Pike

Quote:
If I didn't choose to hide I would turn on the lights. Most break ins are property crimes.
If someone breaks into your house when you are home, I would say their intentions may be beyond a simple property crime.
Old September 2, 2012, 09:02 AM   #52
FAS1

Quote:
Definitely no lights. You know the home's layout - the bad guy doesn't. As soon as you turn on the lights he gets a benefit - all you get is blinded. Keep your night vision by keeping the lights off.
^^^^^ I see just fine at night in my home.
Old September 2, 2012, 12:46 PM   #53
farmerboy

I think you'd turn on the lights and blind you both. But still you in your own home, in darkness where you have the upper hand. YOU WILL HAVE THE UPPER HAND!
Old September 2, 2012, 12:49 PM   #54
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy
...But still you in your own home, in darkness where you have the upper hand. YOU WILL HAVE THE UPPER HAND!
You can have the advantage if you and your family and stay, armed, in a defensible place of safety. You do not have the advantage, with or without lights, if you go looking for an intruder.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 2, 2012, 01:20 PM   #55
farmerboy

In your own home and having someone kicking door in? You're not looking for an intruder. You're protecting you and your family. You have that right. In Texas anyhow.
Old September 2, 2012, 01:56 PM   #56
Frank Ettin
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmerboy
In your own home and having someone kicking door in? You're not looking for an intruder. You're protecting you and your family. You have that right. In Texas anyhow.
[1] If you're right there, at the time.

[2] It's not a question of legal right. It's a question of best tactical choice.
"It is long been a principle of ours that one is no more armed because he has possession of a firearm than he is a musician because he owns a piano. There is no point in having a gun if you are not capable of using it skillfully." -- Jeff Cooper
Old September 2, 2012, 02:01 PM   #57
farmerboy

Both