The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 19, 2018, 06:58 AM   #1
horseman308

Setting price on STI Trojan 9mm

I'm fixing to sell my Trojan to a buddy. He really wants it, and I don't use it like I thought I would. So, I'm not necessarily looking for top dollar, but I want to ask a price that's fair to us both.

I bought it new in 2011 and have only fired around 700-800 rounds or less. I installed a fiber optic front sight and put in a GI guide rod and plug. I still have the original parts. Bluing is nearly 100%, as it has spent most of it's time in a safe and only drawn from a holster maybe a dozen times. I have the receipt showing I paid $1,000 back in the day. Today, new ones go for $1,400 it seems.

I've checked gunbroker and gunsamerica for completed sales on these used with no results, and the only listings I see are for new ones. I guess people don't usually let them go.

So, what would be a fair price for the following:
-Pistol (as described above)
-3 magazines
-Garrett Industries Silent Thunder OWB holster (leather lined kydex)
-double mag pouch

I'm thinking about $850, but I'd like to check myself.

Thanks

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old July 19, 2018, 08:27 AM   #2
Guyand

Wow, $850 sounds like a deal. The few that are left for sale as STI phases them out are, as you mention, 1,400 dollars.

I do not follow gun prices closely but I have an STI Trojan and know that if I were looking for another one I would be really happy with your price for the pistol you describe.

It is a really great pistol, IMO. Good luck.
Old July 19, 2018, 10:14 AM   #3
MC 1911

Sounds like a fair price for both of you!
Old July 19, 2018, 10:43 AM   #4
JDBerg

I wouldn’t take $850.00 for my own STI Trojan 9mm but your bud would be getting a fantastic shooting 9mm for a very fair price.

BTW, the Trojan line is no longer in production at STI, so $850.00 might actually be a little light, and you might want to advise your friend accordingly. Similarly, the Spartan line is also discontinued, the Spartan is a lower-level model compared to the Trojan, this is essentially a Philippine Armscor 1911 upgraded with STI fire control parts and sights. A few months back I tried to buy a really nice STI Spartan .45ACP and the consigned price was $850.00, and the consignor rejected my offer which was significantly less.
Old July 19, 2018, 11:48 AM   #5
horseman308

Okay, thanks guys. I hadn't kept up with the company, so I didn't realize all that. I may stick with my price for my friend, but I'll take your comments under advisement.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk
Old July 19, 2018, 12:42 PM   #6
T. O'Heir

$800 is cheap. They're running a grand and up on Gunbroker. Mind you, they were discontinued in 2017 too.