The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old July 10, 2018, 08:52 PM   #1
Davecota

Might be buying my first Glock. 19x. Input?

So I have never liked Glocks. I have shot many and was never that happy with them or how they felt. The only one I kinda enjoyed was the Glock 42 but I already own and really like my LCP II so I never really felt it was worth the purchase.

Recently, I was in the shop and I happened to come across the 19X. This is the very first time I held a Glock and actually didn't feel like I was holding a brick like the FNX 45. It is one of those times where I am like.. wow.. this feels great from the grip to the balance. Had the same feeling when I held my first HK P30.

So I nearly walked out of the store with it but the guy has 4 of them so I can give it a couple days to do some research and ask questions. So I typically carry a P30L so the frame size will have no problem if I want to carry it. I also do some IDPA, 3-gun an 2-gun from time to time and would imagine it would do well there as well. I just want a fun to shoot all around gun with no real purpose in mind other than to be a nice pistol.

Am I wrong in thinking of buying the 19X or should I place my money elsewhere? Input would be great from those experienced glock guys. thanks.
Old July 10, 2018, 11:03 PM   #2
weblance

I have a 19x, and I also bought a 4.25" S&W M&P 2.0 in 9mm the same day. Both shoot well, and accurately, but my 19x has a bothersome trait... it hits you with brass. I didn't know Glocks were somewhat known for that, after researching "Glock Brass to Face", its a common complaint. Since my 19x was my first Glock, I didn't know the problem existed. The M&P 2.0 doesn't have that issue.

Both have been very reliable. The Glock cost me $150 more, but did come with night sights, and 3 magazines, the M&P came with standard sights, and 2 mags. Extra M&P mags are more expensive than Glock mags.

Aftermarket support is about equal between the two pistols. I feel either one would serve you well.

https://thefiringline.com/forums/att...3&d=1529164278
Old July 10, 2018, 11:18 PM   #3
JDBerg

I’ve had my 19X for a few weeks now and a couple trips to the range so far and I really like mine, this has a few of the Gen5 features (no finger grooves, marksman barrel, and ambi slide release) without it being considered a Gen5 Model by Glock.

I like the fact that it came with one 17rd mag and two 17+2rd extended mags, and my six Glock 17 mags all work great with it. Note that the Gen5 Glock 17 mags don’t work with their existing baseplates, which are incompatible with the frontstrap lip on the 19X.

I also like the fact that it comes with Glock night sights, which I won’t need to change out. I’m getting used to the coyote color, the one thing I wasn’t all that crazy about when I first got it.

This 19X might actually shoot a little better than my Gen3 17 and 19, there might actually be some truth to the added accuracy claims for the Marksman barrel. OP, I’d highly recommend you consider acquiring a 19X!
Old July 11, 2018, 10:05 AM   #4
mlk18

If you have never liked Glocks, I would recommend you stay away. All Glocks are really the same regardless of generation, color, cosmetic changes, or minor tweak here or there. I have an old Gen2 Glock 19 and a buddy bought a brand new Gen5. We heavily compared them at the range. Neither could do anything the other couldn't do. Accuracy was the same, ergos were 99% the same, reliability was the same, etc. It was just another Glock based on the same old 1980's design.

Beyond that I will never understand the point of a gun with an extended length grip and a short slide/barrel. Unless it's just a range toy that is the opposite of what a shooter or gun carrier would want.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:11 AM   #5
jmr40

The standard G19 is near perfect. I'm not able to figure out what they were thinking with the 19X. They got it backwards. A longer G17 slide and barrel on a shorter G19 frame would have made more sense than a full size grip with a short barrel and slide. The longer 17 and 33 round magazines can always be used in standard G19's or 17's.

But if the long grip on short slide and barrel is OK with you I'm sure it is is just as reliable and rugged as any other Glock.

Winston Churchill
Old July 11, 2018, 10:19 AM   #6
TailGator

The 19x is kind of counter-intuitive to me with the long grip of the 17 and shorter sight radius of the 19, but people who have them really like them. The backstrap and the spacing of the finger grooves of the 17 don't fit my hand well, either, making the regular 19 more attractive to me, but that is an individual fit thing. The 19x has taken off way more than I expected. It isn't for me, but it floats a lot of boats, and I'm glad that those who like it have the choice.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:28 AM   #7
sigarms228

I prefer my Glock 19 but many seem to like the 19X. Since you really like your HK P30L take a hard look at the VP9 too and it shares magazines with the P30 series.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:31 AM   #8
TunnelRat

I often wonder if the people that don't get the idea behind the 19X are completely unaware of the MHS trials, or that the exact configuration in question was part of those trials as the M18. Strangely not every pistol released is done so for the concealed carry market, and if that's your desire the options in that market are almost limitless. The 19X is basically Glock making money off the design work by offering it to the public. From what I hear some people find that configuration useful as a duty pistol as the shorter slide has less of a tendency to get pushed up (and in turn push up an attached duty belt) when seated. That some people choose to carry it as well is certainly their choice. Is it another Glock at the end of the day? Yup, it's another of a pistol type so popular that now every major manufacturer of production pistols has their own version of it.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Last edited by TunnelRat; July 11, 2018 at 11:16 AM.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:59 AM   #9
DPris
Member Emeritus

It's not required to understand what Glock was thinking.
The 19X is the most up-to-date pistol Glock offers, built specifically for hard-use military applications.

It has internal upgrades you may not see.

If you like it, buy it.
I didn't get brass to the face on the one here.

Comparisons to a standard 19 are irrelevant.

It's a perfectly fine offering, IF YOU LIKE IT.
And if you do, don't let anybody who doesn't understand it talk you out of it merely because they don't understand it.
Denis
Old July 11, 2018, 11:12 AM   #10
JDBerg

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk18:
Beyond that I will never understand the point of a gun with an extended length grip and a short slide/barrel.
A lot of people find a “commander length Glock” as well as a 1911 Commander length to be a useful thing to have & shoot, I have a Ruger Commander length 1911 that I like a lot but I will always prefer a Gov’t length 1911, for me, I tend to see a little bit extra accuracy with that extra sight radius. I don’t see much extra accuracy between my G-17 & 19, strictly “MHO”.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sigarms228:
I prefer my Glock 19 but many seem to like the 19X. Since you really like your HK P30L take a hard look at the VP9 too and it shares magazines with the P30 series.
None of my Glocks are better at the range than my own P30, so if the OP’s intent is to have the 19x shoot as good or better than his HK P30L that “might” be a disappointment.
Old July 11, 2018, 01:10 PM   #11
Fishbed77

Quote:
The standard G19 is near perfect. I'm not able to figure out what they were thinking with the 19X. They got it backwards.
They were thinking they needed to meet the requirements of the MHS trials.

Regardless of how you feel about the design, it's been quite a sales success for Glock so far:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...100k-180-days/
Old July 11, 2018, 01:16 PM   #12
DPris
Member Emeritus

And it's a perfectly workable pistol.
Denis
Old July 11, 2018, 03:31 PM   #13
mlk18

Yeah, it's a good thing Sig didn't meet the "specs of the MHS trial" with their horrible long slide P320. Oh wait, they did and they won.

Old July 11, 2018, 03:46 PM   #14
TunnelRat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlk18 View Post
Yeah, it's a good thing Sig didn't meet the "specs of the MHS trial" with their horrible long slide P320. Oh wait, they did and they won.

And they also made a version called the M18 that has a shortened barrel, as was required.

http://soldiersystems.net/2017/05/16...andgun-update/

They already make a commercial version of this pistol size called the SIG P320 Carry, which is the Compact slide on a full size frame.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk
Old July 11, 2018, 04:04 PM   #15
Nathan

Quote:
It's not required to understand what Glock was thinking.
The 19X is the most up-to-date pistol Glock offers, built specifically for hard-use military applications.

It has internal upgrades you may not see.

If you like it, buy it.
I didn't get brass to the face on the one here.

Comparisons to a standard 19 are irrelevant.

It's a perfectly fine offering, IF YOU LIKE IT.
And if you do, don't let anybody who doesn't understand it talk you out of it merely because they don't understand it.
Denis
Can you tell us what Glock was thinking? What is the market for a short fat slide on a lot BGR fat grip with no manual safety and a marginal trigger? You don’t need to debate me point by point, I’m just wondering if it is shared somewhere since glock is totally tight lipped.
Old July 11, 2018, 04:45 PM   #16
DPris
Member Emeritus

What difference does it make?

Just buy the thing or don't.

I don't notice a landslide of demands to determine what SIG or Colt or Smith or CZ or Taurus or Beretta was thinking behind every model they offer.

I can tell you what EVERY maker was thinking when they introduced ALL of their models- "We're a gun company, let's make some guns to sell."

You don't like this one?
Go somewhere else.
You don't understand this one, move on.
You don't see a use for this one in your life? Why do you have to torch somebody else who does in theirs?

As far as Glock goes, yeah, I've talked to their VP about the 19X & I can tell you what Glock was thinking-
They developed it for the military trials because it met the military trials criteria, except for no thumb safety on the civilian model.
Why sell to the public? Because the public might buy it.
Why no external safety? Because Glock doesn't think it needs one.

And that's really more than you need to know.

If you don't like it, don't put your money on it.
And don't be dumping on people who do.

The incessant criticism of the 19X is absurd, ridiculous, and annoying as hell.
I personally find the .410 revolvers useless, but I don't feel an irresistible compulsion to attack 'em, along with the intelligence of those who like the things, every single time I see one mentioned in a gun forum post.

What was Taurus thinking with those? "Hmmmm. We make guns, let's try something different & see if it sells."
What was S&W thinking when they came out with theirs? "Sonny beaches! That Taurus thing's selling! Let's see if we can sell one too!"

If somebody ELSE likes those things, it's their choice.
If I don't, I'm under no obligation to TELL everybody contemplating one that I don't.

There are people all over the Internet forums buying guns I won't.
And I'm OK with that.

I don't demand justification or explanations from the makers on those, I let the market ride.
You can too.

If Dave wants that 19X instead of a standard 19, what's the problem?

Of those two, the 19X is the winner for me.
Not everybody has to think like you or spend their money like you.
Or demand a maker to justify its decision to offer a different model variation.
Denis

Last edited by DPris; July 11, 2018 at 05:32 PM.
Old July 11, 2018, 10:56 PM   #17
Davecota

Just wanted to say I have been reading all the posts here and want to thank everyone for their input. Going to take another look at it after work tomorrow and we will see. As a said, it doesn't feel like any of the other Glocks I have handled and I've shot with both the 19 and 17. The new Gen 5 has this weird cut out in the bottom of the grip that really bothered me which is why I nearly gave up on another generation until I held the 19x where that cutout was gone. I've always wanted a Glock but this is the first time I'm like yeah I could own this one. It will serve as a general purpose pistol but I also don't have expectations that it will be better than my P30L which is fine as it's not planned to replace it.
Old July 12, 2018, 12:38 AM   #18
DPris
Member Emeritus

Then buy the thing & pay absolutely no attention to anybody who doesn't want one & thinks you should get anything else.
Denis
Old July 12, 2018, 01:02 AM   #19
KY_blkout

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecota View Post
Just wanted to say I have been reading all the posts here and want to thank everyone for their input. Going to take another look at it after work tomorrow and we will see. As a said, it doesn't feel like any of the other Glocks I have handled and I've shot with both the 19 and 17. The new Gen 5 has this weird cut out in the bottom of the grip that really bothered me which is why I nearly gave up on another generation until I held the 19x where that cutout was gone. I've always wanted a Glock but this is the first time I'm like yeah I could own this one. It will serve as a general purpose pistol but I also don't have expectations that it will be better than my P30L which is fine as it's not planned to replace it.
Buy it, then if you dont like it sell it to me for 100 less lol. I really am curious how well the 19x will go, I've only held one in my hand and I loved the feel of it especially with the extended mag.
Old July 12, 2018, 07:27 AM   #20
Fishbed77

Quote:
Can you tell us what Glock was thinking? What is the market for a short fat slide on a lot BGR fat grip with no manual safety and a marginal trigger? You don’t need to debate me point by point, I’m just wondering if it is shared somewhere since glock is totally tight lipped.
Huh? This has been answered several times in this thread already.

Quote:
Can you tell us what Glock was thinking?
They were thinking they wanted to meet the requirements of the MHS trials.

Putting this on the civilian commercial market was a no-brainer, since development and tooling costs were already paid for.

Quote:
What is the market for a short fat slide on a lot BGR fat grip with no manual safety and a marginal trigger?
Apparently pretty good, seeing how they have sold over 100,000 examples in less than 6 months:

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/...100k-180-days/
Old July 12, 2018, 07:51 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Love how this has turned into a Glock love/hate debate -- I never thought I'd see that on an Internet gun forum

My take: Having fired the G19x (and G19...and G17...Gen 3-5) but never owned a Glock....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davecota View Post
So I have never liked Glocks. I have shot many and was never that happy with them or how they felt. The only one I kinda enjoyed was the Glock 42 but I already own and really like my LCP II so I never really felt it was worth the purchase.
For all the energy we put into debating and discussing all these polymer firearms, there really isn't THAT much difference between all the various options out there. I don't know whether I've "enjoyed" shooting any of the standard guns -- maybe that's just me -- but so long as they don't completely suck like Hi Point, they're all fairly close to each other. Line up a G19, VP9, P10c, M2.0, PPQ, FNS9, etc. and so forth...some fit people's hands better than others, some have crisper triggers, etc. but they're all more accurate than any of us, have decent accessories and will probably outlast the owner.

"Enjoyment" is a Wilson Combat Beretta 92, or a CZ Custom 75 Shadow

I always ask -- myself, and anyone else -- what the underlying reason is for wanting a particular firearm or anything else. Usually, if I'm honest, it's because I just want it. So whatever the Internet says, if you like the 19X and want it, go for it. It's a good pistol.

Quote:
Recently, I was in the shop and I happened to come across the 19X. This is the very first time I held a Glock and actually didn't feel like I was holding a brick like the FNX 45. It is one of those times where I am like.. wow.. this feels great from the grip to the balance. Had the same feeling when I held my first HK P30.

So I nearly walked out of the store with it but the guy has 4 of them so I can give it a couple days to do some research and ask questions. So I typically carry a P30L so the frame size will have no problem if I want to carry it. I also do some IDPA, 3-gun an 2-gun from time to time and would imagine it would do well there as well. I just want a fun to shoot all around gun with no real purpose in mind other than to be a nice pistol.
I think it would fit that niche. Can't see why it wouldn't be a fine IDPA competition gun. Better than the P30 or any other polymer shooter? Probably not...plus you'll need to invest in holsters, sights, and other accessories to match the new purchase. One question, though -- if you're carrying and accustomed to a P30 DA/SA pistol, why switch to striker? The Gen 5 Glock trigger is (I think) pretty good, as is the new M2.0 trigger -- VP9 is crisper, PPQ is the champ. NONE of these match a true SA trigger like you've already got in the P30. I carry a CZ P-07, also DA/SA. I just can't seem to go back to strikers!

Quote:
Am I wrong in thinking of buying the 19X or should I place my money elsewhere? Input would be great from those experienced glock guys. thanks.
I agree with others that there's little practical value in the 19X other than the "cool factor" of owning a model that might have been the Army's new handgun. And the color is neat. Otherwise you can get any other G19 and put any length magazine in it you want.

With the P30, I think you've already got one of the best pistols out there, so if you want to own a Glock so you have a Glock, get the 19X and enjoy it. I'm not a huge fan of Glocks because others all seem to fit my hands better, but it's a personal preference. They're rock solid reliable. In striker-land, I prefer the Walther PPQ to just about anything else, and the Q4 TAC / Q5 Match pistols are pretty awesome (and are already milled for optics if you're inclined that direction). If you like want a Gen 5 Glock and might ever run a red dot, I'd suggest the G19 MOS.

My final verdict, worth what you've paid for it? Nothing wrong with the gun you're looking at, but in my humble (and DA/SA biased opinion) the P30L you already have is better.
Old July 12, 2018, 11:08 AM   #22
Spats McGee
Staff

I hated Glocks. Then I bought a Gen 4 G19 because I get Blue Label and figured "if I hate it, I can always sell it." That was 2013. Haven't sold it yet. Then I saw the 19X and thought, "How dumb. Why would anyone buy a pistol with a shorter barrel and a longer grip?" Then I shot one. I'm probably not buying one any time soon, but I did enjoy shooting one.
Old July 12, 2018, 11:29 AM   #23
peterg7

The grip on my G23 is just big enough for my XXL hands so I for one thinks a 19x makes sense, I just not sure I need one now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old July 12, 2018, 11:35 AM   #24
Spats McGee
Staff

^^^ Perhaps a 23x is on the way.....
Old July 12, 2018, 01:18 PM   #25
Uncle Malice

Fun fact from me. I was a rather vociferous critic of the 19X when it was announced. I had absolutely no interest in it on paper.

My local shop got one in last week and I was handling it... and I'm a convert. The gen4 19 fits my hand well with an undercut trigger guard and magpul magwell. I really like the way it feels. Moreso than the gen4 G17.

However, without the finger grooves, the 19x feels great in hand. And I have fairly large hands. It only extends a very small amount beyond the bottom of my palm. The coloring in person is really nice. The slide is more of a bronze where the frame is more tan/coyote. Basically they are different shades, and I prefer that over perfectly matching cerakote jobs.

Basically... the 19X surprised me a lot in person. And I've changed my mind on it. I love it and will probably be getting one pretty soon.