The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > NFA Guns and Gear

Old May 14, 2012, 01:33 PM   #26
Deja vu

I ordered my first suppressor a few months back. I ordered it from the factory (big mistake) so they have to build it rather than buying it from a retail shop that carry's them in stock. They say that my FFL should have it by this coming Monday. That is a 15 week build time.

I think the reason I bought mine is a practical reason. I got mine for my hunting rifle. The gun is a 45/70 and it is very loud. I dont know why but when I wear hearing protection I get a plugged up feeling in my head and it drives me crazy. I can handle it for a range session of an hour or two, but several days of hunting would kill me.

My suppressor cost me $1325.00 + $200.00 for the tax stamp + $30.00 for finger prints and photos.... Grand total $1555.00 (plus 6% Idaho sales tax on the $1325.00). It seems a little funny that I put this much money in to a suppressor for a $900.00 rifle with a $200.00 scope. So I guess its not real practical but I do enjoy being able to hear.

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...
Old May 14, 2012, 09:46 PM   #27
Justice06RR

I was seriously toying with the idea of getting a suppresor myself for a 300Blk AR build.. but after finding out that the total costs associated with just getting the suppressor alone is over $1k, I'd rather just buy/build another AR15.

IMO they are cool to have, but on the civilian world is pretty much a luxury. I would not mind having one though!
Old May 15, 2012, 02:02 AM   #28
TennTexan

Justice, There are good deals on suppressors to be had if you shop around. Lots of smaller manufacturers are getting into the business, and are making some high-quality, moderately-priced cans. Take, for example, Huntertown Arms in Indiana. They are making 5.56 and 7.62 cans with an MSRP of around $499 (I've seen them listed for sale at $399). Add the $200 check to Uncle Sugar and that gets you a user-serviceable suppressor that comes apart for cleaning for well under the $1,000 mark. I've met the owner of the company and have shot their cans, and they are incredibly quiet for costing what they do.

Plus, if you go with a .30 caliber can, you are able to use it on most any caliber that is smaller. For example, using a 7.62 can on your 5.56 AR. That way you can get the most use out of your investment.

Silencers are starting to go mainstream, and several states have either passed or are considering legislation to allow hunting game animals with silencers. To those of you who think the price of entry for suppressors is too high, take note of all the newcomers to the industry. Healthy competition will bring prices down.
Old May 15, 2012, 02:04 PM   #29
Deja vu

the Big bore suppressors are more money than smaller calibers. a 223 suppressor is much cheeper than a 458 Socom suppressor. I think it is because most places that build suppressors build for 22lr, 223 (5.56), and 308 for rifle calibers. IF you use these calibers you can usually find suppressors pretty cheep (comparatively)

all 26 of my guns are 45/70 govt, 357 mag, 22 or 12 ga... I believe in keeping it simple. Wish my wife did as well...