The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 7, 2015, 02:00 AM   #1
wileybelch

Uncle Mikes holsters

I have recently acquired several Uncle Mikes Sidekick holsters from online auctions in sizes 1,5, and 15. Each of them disintegrated the plastic/rubber belt loop when first put on a belt. Has anybody had similar experience? Does anybody else make a good nylon style holster with a belt loop that doesn't fail?? That's the last Uncle Mikes I'll buy...
Old August 7, 2015, 02:34 AM   #2
hartcreek

You must be doing something wrong. While I like the old style with the metal clip better I use an Uncle Mikes daily but then I buy new ones. Who knows what someone did to one before they listed it on Ebay.
Old August 7, 2015, 04:59 AM   #3
CajunBass

Personally I like Uncle Mikes holsters. I've never had the problem with them you describe, and I had the ones I've got for years.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 7, 2015, 07:16 AM   #4
dannyb

I use Uncle Mike's pocket holsters. Never had a problem. Mine have lasted for years.
Old August 7, 2015, 08:08 AM   #5
osbornk

I have several and have never had a problem with them. I've always bought fresh ones from my LGS.
Old August 7, 2015, 08:18 AM   #6
Doyle

When you say disintegrated, are you saying the rubber itself broke up or did it come unstitched from the rest of the holster?
Old August 7, 2015, 02:01 PM   #7
DaleA

Jussssst about ready to start taking applications for my new group 'Handgun Holster Haters' (still have to write up our mission statement, design a logo and pick a mascot).

Uncle Mike's holsters can be as frustrating as any others but I've always found the materials to be of good quality and haven't had anything like you are describing happen with them. (And yeah, I'll admit there's more than one Uncle Mike's holster in my holster box.)

Pictures?
Old August 7, 2015, 03:34 PM   #8
l.cutler

Same here, I have several Uncle Mike's sidekick holsters, some for years and never an issue.
Old August 7, 2015, 11:18 PM   #9
wileybelch

For DOYLE...
Yes, the rubber actually disintegrated, i.e., broke off into several pieces. The stitching held fast. This is possibly a case where a warranty against manufacturing defects may be a useful sales tool. This happened on multiple holsters! Since there are no manufacturers dates, codes, or other identification symbols on UM products, if I were a conspiracy fanatic I could envision a Chinese knock-off getting into this market. Note: these holsters of mine did not come in an Uncle Mikes package, all were loose with no traceable info. American manufacturers take note!!!
Old August 8, 2015, 04:02 AM   #10
CajunBass

Do they have an "Uncle Mikes" tag sewn into them? Usually on the back side. There are a lot of people out there making cheap nylon holsters. I see them at gun shows and on E-bay all the time.
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old August 8, 2015, 05:36 AM   #11
armedleo

I tried an Uncle Mike's shoulder holster and found it to be quiet flimsy and of cheap quality. I'll never buy another. But I also learned, once again, in life you get what you pay for. If you carry a quality firearm that means you've likely spent over $400 on it. Stick with good gear. Don't ride in a Rolls Royce with Toyota tires.
Old August 8, 2015, 10:18 AM   #12
seeker_two

I like the UM/BLACKHAWK! pocket holsters....as pocket organizers for non-firearm items. The rest of their stuff is junk. You can get better gear from Galco, Bianchi, and Desantis for slightly more cash.
Old August 8, 2015, 01:01 PM   #13
T. O'Heir

Rubber does that. Worse and faster if oil gets on it. So will high priced leather. The loops aren't rubber though. Stretchy nylon.
Those must be incredibly old to be on an auction site too. And you must have paid next to nothing. Uncle Mike's stuff is cheap BNIB.
The UM shoulder holster I've had for 35 years or so is fine. So is the Sidekick. In any case, ballistic nylon sews easily. Sew on new loops.

Tags
rhb