The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 4, 2012, 08:14 PM   #1
learningcurve

New rifle

So I was out pawn shopping and stumbled onto a savage model 64 for 90 bucks tax included. Quick look on my phone showed used they were going between 120-175 so I jumped on it. I will put some pics up soon. All the reviews I read said it was a real solid gun. The whole gun looks like maybe 500 rounds ran through it. What is your guys opinions on this rifle? Thanks guys.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2
Old August 4, 2012, 08:54 PM   #2
learningcurve

Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344131666360.jpg (109.6 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344131678661.jpg (104.2 KB, 62 views)
Old August 4, 2012, 11:25 PM   #3
10-96

It looks to me like you got a heck of a deal! If it didn't come with an owners manual, I'm pretty sure you can bring one up on line. .22's are a hoot, a Glenfield (Marlin) Model 60 was my first some 37 some-odd years ago. I kinda got on kicks for centerfires, and forgot about rimfires for quite a while. When I finally remembered how much fun they are- I nearly kicked myself for missing out on all that fun.

Anyway, follow the manual on cleaning and such and don't over lube it and it ought to last you a lifetime.

I suspect a thing or two... because I've seen a thing or two.
Old August 5, 2012, 10:34 AM   #4
sc928porsche

Good little rifle. Bought one for my youngest daughter a couple of years ago and has performed flawlessly. My only complaint is that it is difficult to load the magazine. I think that maybe the magazine spring is a bit too strong. I kept the magazine loaded for several months and now it is a little easier, but not much.
Old August 5, 2012, 11:17 AM   #5
learningcurve

Going to test fire it today. The shop told me if it doesn't fire to bring back he can swap it out. He had just got it and hadn't fired it. The magazine I agree is a pain. I am buying a new one if this goes well. After two rounds being out in it they all shoot out. Like retaining just isn't strong enough anymore.

I honestly got it for my kids. They love to shoot but hate my bigger guns.

Old August 5, 2012, 12:10 PM   #6
FiveInADime

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc928porsche View Post
Good little rifle. Bought one for my youngest daughter a couple of years ago and has performed flawlessly. My only complaint is that it is difficult to load the magazine. I think that maybe the magazine spring is a bit too strong. I kept the magazine loaded for several months and now it is a little easier, but not much.
You need a Baby Uplula. I wear out my thumbs loading my Marlin magazines but a guy at the range let me use his Baby Uplula and it is very handy.

Sent From My Galaxy S 4g Using Tapatalk
Old August 5, 2012, 03:05 PM   #7
learningcurve

Well the mag wore out after loading it one time. The retainers on the top of the mag won't hold the round at all. I tried squeezing the tabs together but it was not good. So I will get a new one soon. It shot just smooth though. I was impressed with just iron sights.

Old August 5, 2012, 08:21 PM   #8
Buzzcook

Keep using the irons. No reason to use a scope for 100yds on in.
Old August 5, 2012, 09:44 PM   #9
learningcurve

It's for the kids. They like the scope thing. Makes it like daddies and since it's only 20-30 for a decent one. If it makes them want to get out to the range more and learn safety I am ok with spending it. I appreciate the suggestion.

Old August 8, 2012, 06:32 PM   #10
SRH78

They are solid guns and shoot well. I don't like the trigger but the long heavy trigger pull isn't all bad where inexperienced shooters are concerned.
Old August 8, 2012, 07:29 PM   #11
idek

Are the sights adjustable for windage? I had a Savage 64 some years ago, and I have a vague recollection that I was unable to adjust the sights left or right. I could be totally wrong about that though.
Old August 8, 2012, 08:58 PM   #12
learningcurve

Well for the trigger pull I wonder if someone had replaced it. Because it is as smooth as I have ever felt. The rear sight looks like it should be able to be adjusted. I only shot around 20-30 rounds to ensure the rifle fired and everything worked well. Which it did. Very clean break on the trigger and felt so very smooth.

Old August 8, 2012, 10:01 PM   #13
SRH78

It is possible but I have never seen any upgrades offered for the 64. Another very likely possibility is that it is an older gun and the older guns had better triggers. I bought a new one several years ago for my son and I don't care for the trigger in that rifle. My stepbrother bought a used one about 15 years or so ago that was actually made under the Stephens name. I haven't shot that rifle in years but I do know I was surprised by the trigger in my son's rifle because I don't recall any issues with the one my stepbrother owns. Just a thought.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:09 AM   #14
learningcurve

Agreed it might be a older rifle, he had a stephens made rifle next to this one for a little less money but I didnt know who made that one so I jumped on this one. If it is a older rifle it was very well taken care of. I have taken it down for a complete scrubing and everything was brand new looking, I am starting to think that maybe this is a gun someone got as a trainer or something along that lines and didnt shoot that much so they sold it. Or he didnt like it, amoung what could be thousands of other reasons. Either way they took care of it and I love it, couldnt have asked for more out of a 22 pawn shop purchase. I was thinking about going back to see what he has in larger rifles when I decide to look again.
Old August 9, 2012, 07:46 AM   #15
sc928porsche

rear sight is dovetailed and can be adjusted with a brass punch and small hammer.
Old August 9, 2012, 09:47 AM   #16
learningcurve

That's what I was thinking after reading a few other posts. Thank you for the info. I am really thinking about running back to the place and getting that other Stevens ones he had. It was more beat up but was cheaper.

Old August 9, 2012, 08:49 PM   #17
learningcurve

My lovely wife (who occasionally reads here) spoils me. Came home from work to find a decent Simmons scope on my ill plinker said it was a late birthday present. With Leopuld mounts. It's a 3-9x32 8 point scope. I am impressed by it so far. Going to take the kiddos out this weekend to have some fun. What they don't know is the scope is coming off till they show me they use the irons for a few shots. Crawl then walk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg uploadfromtaptalk1344563369036.jpg (142.4 KB, 15 views)