The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old January 9, 2011, 08:22 AM   #1
zgoinhunt

First time buyer

Need advise on which all purpose shotgun needed to go hunting for waterfowl,deer and hogs ? I picking up this sport and need help before I make a purchase. I have shot many times in the past, but never owned my own shotgun. I want a reliable and quailty gun, that will not break the bank. Would a Remington 870 wingmaster be a good choice and what length barrel should I get ?

Also would a semi-auto be more practical than a pump ?

Last edited by zgoinhunt; January 9, 2011 at 08:37 AM.
Old January 9, 2011, 08:53 AM   #2
Fullboar

Pumps and Semi-Auto are now banned in Australia. But I use to use a O/U or Semi for Waterfowl and a Pump for chasing hogs or spotlighting at night for rabbits, foxes ect.
When shooting Waterfowl you are usual in one place and not moving around and IMO that suits a Semi but if you are moving through the bush chasing pigs or Deer with other people I think that is more suited to a Pump Action (safer).

PS: You are lucky over there, here we have to do it all with a O/U or SxS or Single Shot.
Old January 9, 2011, 09:25 AM   #3
pabuckslayer08

Well where are you from, are you allowed using a semi with a rifled barrel. Here in Pa you have to use a pump for slug hunting but can use a semi for waterfowl. So if your allowed a semi id go for it and find a 11-87 and get a rifled barrel for it and get yourself a decent 2-7 scope and shoot sabots out of it for the deer and hogs. Then also get a smooth bore barrel for it 26" or so and use that for waterfowl. 11-87s will run you around 900 or so for both barrels which is pricey but its a great setup. Now if you cant use a semi the 870 is a great choice. Wingmaster is really a nice gun for the price. I would avoid the 870 express and get the sps or wingmaster. You can get a rifled barrel and smooth barrel in one of them for around 500 or so. I would not recommend to anyone to shoot sabots or slugs from a smooth barrel, even though it wont hurt it you will get alot better accuracy from a rifled barrel.
Old January 9, 2011, 11:09 AM   #4
zippy13

Greetings zgoinhunt, and welcome aboard

May I suggest, go to a trap and skeet club and rent/borrow various guns to test fire. Or, a sportsman's club may offer a basic shotgun training course. Some trigger time before you make your selection may avoid future dissatisfaction.

Will you be using buck shot or slugs for deer? You may wish to consider a "combo" package -- a shotgun with two barrels, one being specifically for deer.
Old January 9, 2011, 01:45 PM   #5
zgoinhunt

First time buyer

I have been through a hunter safty course and I live in NWFL and hunt in AL,GA & FL. I've been listening to so many different friends,thought I would get some insight on a stranger. Again thank you so much for your input. I'm wanting my own shotgun and not have to use someone else. I do own a 30/ 30 and a 06, that have handed down to me. I'm no stranger to the use of a firearm. I'm torn between the Rem 870,1100,1187. Like Browning,mossberg as well. But really don't know much about them as far as quality. Thanks gents !!
Old January 9, 2011, 01:49 PM   #6
pabuckslayer08

Browning is probably the best shotgun a hunter can buy. They arnt like a Beretta or Benelli but are great but pricey. Mossberg is the best bang for the buck. I own 2 and love them both. Cant go wrong with any of the guns you listed, One thing I dont beleive they make a slug barrel for the 1100 remington. Its still great for everything else though. Like zippy said definently get 2 barrels
Old January 9, 2011, 01:59 PM   #7
zgoinhunt

Which mossbergs do you have and why them over the Rem & Brown ? Is it just the $ or all around performance of the Moss. I'm kind of leaning towards the 870 wingmaster,understand it shoots up to 3".
Old January 9, 2011, 02:34 PM   #8
zippy13

pabuckslayer08
Remington lists several spare 21" 12-ga slug barrels for the 1100, but I don't think they offer any discounted 1100 combo package.
  • 26595 Deer Barrel, Fully Rifled Cantilever Mount
  • 29570 Deer Barrel, Fully Rifled w/ Rifle Sights
  • 29565 Deer Barrel, Smooth Bore w/ Rifle Sights, Rem Choke
Old January 9, 2011, 02:58 PM   #9
pabuckslayer08

Oh ok thanks zippy, I wasnt aware of that. And I have a 500C which is a interchangable combo with a smooth bore 24" barrel thats actually never been on the gun and a 24" cantilever barrel thats rifled I use for deer. That gun im easily confident to 100 yards and would shoot 150 but from 100 yards my group goes from 2.5" to 5-6" at 150. My other is a 535 I use for turkey and its great as well. Mossberg makes some great guns for good prices. Tough to beat. I had a 870 express as a kid and sold it due to the flimsyness of it. Just seemed not as well built while holding it. Shot good though so cant complain. Now I have a 1100 I use for clays and what not that I love and a 11-87 for hunting and its truthfully my favorite shotgun ive owned.Very reliable and well made for not a outrageous price. A friend has a 870 wingmaster like you mentioned and its much better made than the express. Feels much more solid and reliable. Probably cant go wrong with the 500, 535, 835, 870 for the price but if you want a little more the 11-87 gets my vote and to kick it way up the Browning semis and Benelli SBEII get my vote. I love the SBEII, very accurate for any purpse
Old January 9, 2011, 04:44 PM   #10
birddog55

delete

edit
Old January 9, 2011, 04:47 PM   #11
pabuckslayer08

Depends if you will be hunting soon if you should buy the slug barrel. Any barrel can handle any load as long as in the right gauge. Rifled barrels handle sabots the best and smooth bore are conventionally used for shot. You should start your own thread up and it will get alot more response
Old January 9, 2011, 07:41 PM   #12
zgoinhunt

pabuckslayer and zippy you have been a great deal of help, You guys are well rounded in the shotgun field. The best advise I have gotten yet !!Thanks again, Z
Old January 9, 2011, 07:45 PM   #13
DiscoRacing

Everyone that I knew... when I got my first shotgun... four or five of us all got mossberg 500s...

... everyone starts out with a pump mossberg..

or maybe not every one.