The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 6, 2009, 10:38 PM   #1
johnwilliamson062

Gun season and deer preperation

Gun week went poorly for me. Like most I spent a lot of time freezing my butt off. I got nothing for my time. Well I had afield mouse running all over me for a few minutes which was odd and an owl perched not 5 feet from my stand at one point. On one of our drives we caught a coyote in it and that was one heck of a good time. Much faster and smaller than deer.

Because there is a chance this will be my last season to hunt in Ohio for some time I am really pressing to bag a deer. A buddy has pretty much convinced me I NEED to borrow his cross bow to max the time I can spend out hunting.

Now that you know my deer hunting situation, here is my query:
I assume, like every profession, not all butchers are equal. I hunt in Knox County, spend time in Franklin, and live in Greene. If it is cold enough I could probably transport to a butcher local to any of those areas conveniently. Anyone have a standout out does an awesome job butcher suggestion?

Also, lets say I get all the tasty cuts as steaks. I can get some summer sausage/venison stick, any other suggestions? I won't be processing myself unless one of my hunting buddies who has the equipment happens to be doing it at the same time.
Old December 6, 2009, 11:44 PM   #2
jal5

You should try the xbow and extend your season I really like it.
My butcher does steaks, butterfly chops, sausage.

I got a big doe on the opening day, and missed one yesterday. The doe was taken with my single shot 20 ga. first kill with that and the miss was with my 357 mag pistol, my bad I should have waited another minute and the deer would have been within my really accurate range. Clean miss. Maybe in two weeks, we will see. Have not seen any decent bucks during the bow season or gun week. But 4 good bucks were taken on the property I hunt during bow season so that explains that!