The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 18, 2009, 12:00 AM   #1
jwalker497

Looking for an Inexpensive...

Tactical style Semi Auto Rifle for Range and Home Defense chambered in 5.56/.223 that can be had for under $1K. I don't really know what my options are other than the AR15. I saw the Mini 14, but I wouldn't consider it tactical. Are there any other rifles worth considering in my budget??? I do want it to be able to shoot both 5.56 and .223. Thanks in advance.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:04 AM   #2
NSO_w/_SIG

For $1k these days you can have a fantastic AR. Most versatile carbine platform there is.

Just do a search for like the last couple weeks on "AR-15" and you'll see links to a ton of deals from $600 on up on AR's.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:08 AM   #3
tINY

Daewoo, Galil, AR180b...

-tINY

Old November 18, 2009, 12:11 AM   #4
Flatbush Harry

I have to ask what you mean by tactical, and what you think a tactical rifle (note that I did not say weapon!) will do for you? It has been my experience that many folks who have never had a gun used in anger against them have a different definition of tactical than I.

And, as a casual BTW, you truly don't ever want a gun of any sort (up to, and including 57mm AAA cannon, used against you...BTDTWTTS).

FH
Old November 18, 2009, 12:13 AM   #5
jwalker497

tactical - I mean nothing other than the look. I didn't know how else to say it. I want something that looks like an AR or other similar military type of rifle.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:26 AM   #6
Flatbush Harry

In that case, get an AR-type rifle. I use a SOCOM16 with a Federal GMM equivalent as a tactical rifle. I'm going to add an EOCOM sight on the forward rail. As a general statement, form follows function...jus' sayin'

Best regards,

FH
Old November 18, 2009, 12:38 AM   #7
Volucris

CMMG bargain bin rifle for $599 and put some good rear irons on it or a BUIS+eotech/aimpoint/primary arms.
Old November 18, 2009, 12:41 AM   #8
Webleymkv

You should be able to find an Arsenal AK in .223/5.56 (or 7.62x39 or 5.45x39) for well under $1K. Also you could simply buy a Saiga .223 and do a 922r conversion yourself and save even more money (that's what I did and I've got less than $500 in the whole thing).
Old November 18, 2009, 08:13 AM   #9
KMO

Mini-14 Can Be Tactical

Ruger makes a tactical Mini-14, or a guy can easily accessorize a standard factory Mini-14 to make it a tactical rifle. Have a look at the one pictured at www.mo-rod.com.
Old November 18, 2009, 08:21 AM   #10
hobunchastuf

A grand will buy a whole LOT of rifle and optics.
Gotta be patient for the right deal.
Old November 18, 2009, 09:26 AM   #11
GeauxTide

Kel-Tec SU-16A with Bravo sights
Old November 18, 2009, 09:30 AM   #12
BigDaddy

+1 for the AR180. The local gun shop has 2 with side folders for 899.00 each.

--Dave
Old November 18, 2009, 09:40 AM   #13
tirod

You can definitely get a tactical look for less than $1k. Be careful what you're asking for, tho.

Tactical implies an adjustable stock that allows storage in a tight area, like a vehicle. Extended, they fit soldiers wearing body armor, but can still be too short for range use. The A3 flattop with picitinny rail can accept lots of optics, but they are more money and potential budget busters. Adding a rear iron sight could be necessary to get any.

If a four rail handguard comes with it, lights and lasers start morphing on to it, then a front vertical grip just to hold it up. It becomes muzzle heavy and swings slower onto the target. Practicing to use them correctly won't hurt, things aren't that intuitive if and when they are needed.

Get it in 5.56 and .223 will function fine, now that the hoarders are slowing down on stockpiling, a box or two of ammo will show up for a few hours on shelves if someone is lucky enough to be camped out there on freight day. While there, get some nice gloves to handle it with. Tactical carbines have so many knobs, edges, rails, protrusions, gaps, pinch points, and slots they're like handling a dull chain saw by the bar compared to a lever gun.

Worse than all that, they lead to a form of psychological narcolepsy, an induced state of semi-euphoria where the owner starts spending more and more money on ammo because they shoot so much softer than their other guns. It becomes a repetitive reinforcement, load, pull trigger, experience almost no recoil, see water jugs explode, pull trigger again, and again, and again.

The courts refuse to acknowledge it, and the psychiatric community only recognizes it obliquely as an addiction, but most of use know it as EBR, Evil Black Rifle disease.

Unfortunately, it's too late to be cured. Once the desire to own one manifests itself in a craving to purchase, it's too far along. I was a hard core mainliner - I bought an HK91 in the seventies, then joined the Army Reserves for 22 years. Now I'm building an AR from a stripped lower. I keep the lower parts kit hidden in my sock drawer.

The Bargain Bin rifles are the best bet. Brand new out of the box is a $400 premium thrown away when they will look like a dent and ding survivor in a year anyway. Tactical rifles seem to encourage knocking sheetrock out of walls, or drop and rolls on gravel. Especially the government models.
Old November 19, 2009, 08:35 AM   #14
KMO

Mini-14 Not Tactical

Click on the thumbnail image shown at http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...hlight=mini+14

The Mini-14 can be made tactical, and pretty inexpensively.
Old November 19, 2009, 09:50 AM   #15
ISC

There is also the saiga .223 and a bunch of used 5.56 AKs
Old November 19, 2009, 09:58 AM   #16
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

First off, let me say that I think a fella oughta buy whatever makes his little heart palpitate with utmost happiness.

However, I was raised much more for practical use than tactical prettiness.

I agree that an AR can shoot tighter groups than a Mini, if one shoots fairly long courses of fire. That's important when target shooting. But if home defense is seriously at issue, they're equals, no matter how much money is spent on either.

In home defense, skill with whatever one has is far more important than the platform itself. Quite probably, even more important is one's ability to have a tactical brain over having a tactical-looking weapon.

But it's not my money.