The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old April 23, 2009, 08:38 AM   #1
rduckwor

Utah and FL Out-of-state CCW courses in the South?

Any one has a listing of scheduled courses?

Thanks,

RMD
Old April 24, 2009, 01:22 AM   #2
scorpion_tyr

I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for or not, but here it goes.

Shooters USA in Bossier City, LA has an excellent course for CCW. They offer both the LA and the FL out of state CCW. The instructor (I wish I could remember his name) is absolutely great! I don't know their current schedule, but when I lived there they held the class every Sat. Just one day, shooting inlcluded. They're located at 357 Magnum Dr. Which is off of Swan Lake in Bossier City. If this is the area you're looking, I highly recommend them! I've never had better customer service and expertice than the people who run that place!
Old April 24, 2009, 07:28 PM   #3
Dewhitewolf

There is no specific course you need for a FL license; any firearm course that includes live firing satisfies the requirement. Here is a link for more specific information. Scroll down to page 3, question 6.

http://licgweb.doacs.state.fl.us/app...structions.pdf

Utah does require a specific, course from an instructor certified to teach the Utah standards course.
Old April 24, 2009, 09:36 PM   #4
EricReynolds

Where exactly is a Utah ccw permit recognized? I saw an ad for a course in my local paper today being conducted in Rochester. Does NY recognize? I would think not, but I don't know.
Old April 25, 2009, 04:23 PM   #5
Don H

I believe this may be an up-to-date listing of which states recognize the Utah resident and non-resident permits:

Alabama
Alaska
Arizona
Arkansas
Colorado (Does NOT recognize the Utah non-resident permit)
Delaware
Florida (Does NOT recognize the Utah non-resident permit)
Georgia
Idaho
Indiana (Does NOT recognize the Utah non-resident permit)
Kentucky
Louisiana
Michigan (Does NOT recognize the Utah non-resident permit)
Minnesota
Mississippi
Missouri
Montana
Nevada
New Hampshire (Does NOT recognize the Utah non-resident permit)
New Mexico
North Carolina
North Dakota
Ohio
Oklahoma
Pennsylvania
South Dakota
Tennessee
Texas
Utah
Vermont
Virgina
Wyoming
Washington State
Old April 26, 2009, 11:06 AM   #6
rduckwor

Thanks guys.

RMD
Old May 1, 2009, 04:02 PM   #7
Dewhitewolf

Don H, are you sure about Indiana? Last time I visited Indiana's state webpage, there was a statement on there that said that Indiana recognizes any permit from any state.
Old May 1, 2009, 05:56 PM   #8
Don H

No, that's why I used the terms "I believe" and "may". I did a C&P on the list from another site and did not research each state to verify the information.
Old May 14, 2009, 10:32 PM   #9
RochPersDef

Utah Non Resident Permit class by Rochester Personal Defense

Rochester Personal Defense presents: The Utah Non Resident Pistol Permit Class

The State of Utah has redone their Non Resident Permit process and you get the benefit. We are now certified to instruct you in the legalities and carrying of a firearm in Utah as well as the other states that honor the Utah Non-Resident Permit. If you travel a lot, the non-resident permits are a big help if you decide to carry or wish to carry where you want to go.

NOTE: This class will cover ONLY the laws and regulations concerning the State of Utah. We will not be discussing New York State laws or other states' laws. If you possess a NY State Pistol Permit, thank you, but it will neither help you nor hurt you when applying for the Utah permit. There is no way to obtain a waiver or exclusion to the lecture. Utah requires you to attend no matter what your experience or training is.

We will be doing your passport style photos, processing your fingerprints, and we have a notary available. (INCLUDED IN THE COST OF THE CLASS!!!) All you have to do is attend, add a copy of your NY drivers license, a check made payable to the Utah BCI for $65.20, and fill everything out and drop your completed application (with your payment) in the mail. We even give you the pre addressed and postage paid envelope!!

The Utah Non-Resident permit is as good as the Florida permit, but you get a couple different states that Florida does not give you. Also, the cost of the permit itself is only $65.25 and it is valid for 5 years.

Please download the Utah Permit Application Form, print it (DO NOT SIGN IT) and bring to class.

The following states currently honor the Utah Non Resident permit: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, Arkansas, Delaware, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Louisiana, Michigan, Minnesota, Mississippi, Missouri, Montana, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Carolina, North Dakota, Ohio, Oklahoma, Pennsylvania, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Vermont, Virginia, Washington, Wyoming
Upcoming Class Dates:

May 30th, 2009. 10:00 am to 3:00 pm
Harvest International Family Church, 4647 Reservoir Rd., Geneseo, NY
80.00 per person
June 6th, 2009, 10:00am - 3:00pm (Sat.)
Gander Mountain, Middletown, outside NYC (View Location)
Cost- $95.00
June 7th, 10am to 3pm
Gander Mountain, Syracuse, NY
Cost: 85.00

July 12, 2009 11am to 4pm (Sunday)
Gander Mountain, Johnson City (Binghamton, NY)
Cost: 85.00

Rochester Personal Defense is coming soon to: Utica, Dansville, Auburn, NY, Oswego, Watertown, and more!!!

To register for any of these classes or to find out about additional classes for Utah or any other training we offer, visit Rochester Personal Defense - SafeInRochester.com, Self Defense Classes, Firearms Training in Rochester New York or call 585-406-6758
www.safeinrochester.com
Old June 17, 2009, 10:50 AM   #10
reloaderNOOB

What about the Utah license in Oklahoma?

What should a person trying to get a Concealed Carry Permit (Utah permit) but whom resides in Oklahoma?

What Oklahoma laws should I be aware of, if they are not taught in the class?
Old June 17, 2009, 11:28 AM   #11
Don H

Quote:
Originally Posted by reloaderNOOB
What should a person trying to get a Concealed Carry Permit (Utah permit) but whom resides in Oklahoma?

What Oklahoma laws should I be aware of, if they are not taught in the class?
Okalahoma instructors certified to teach the Utah CFP class can be found here: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...tstate_054.pdf on page 11.

A Utah CFP holder must comply with ALL the applicable laws of the state that they are in. As a resident of Oklahoma, you should be conversant with ALL the Oklahoma weapons/firearms/CCW laws. The Utah laws DO NOT apply in any other state. Unless you visit or move to Utah, the Utah law portion of the out-of-state CFP class will only serve to get you the CFP. Here is the mandatory curriculum of the CFP class: http://publicsafety.utah.gov/bci/doc...GUIDELINES.pdf As an out-of-state applicant, your instructor should cover OK laws as part of section I-H, I would think.

Every state has a unique set of laws that apply to when one can use his firearm, where one can or cannot carry that firearm, whether one must notify law enforcement when carrying, etc. You should know all of these laws before carrying in OK and your instructor should cover them in the CFP class. A number of enterprising attorneys have written books about CCW in their various states that detail the laws and precedents that apply - perhaps OK has such a book available also.

Websites such as www.handgunlaw.us may be of use in determining what the applicable laws may be. Here is the Oklahoma page: http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/oklahoma.pdf Keep in mind that websites, both governmental and private, books, and even instructors may not be up to date on the current laws that you are required to comply with. It is the permit holder's responsibility to ensure he is in compliance. Perhaps Oklahoma, as Utah, has a CCW forum whose members actively discuss current law, interpretations of that law and any proposed changes that may occur - this can be an invaluable aid to the person who CCWs.