The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old September 1, 2008, 10:05 PM   #51
CPTMurdoc30

BAD GUY: Giveme yo money BIATCH

MILITARY COP: HALT or I will fire a WARNING SHOT

BAD GUY: GO ahead ******

MILITARY COP: BANG SH($ I missed and hit him in the head with my warning shot How the Hell am I going to explaine that one to the Sarge?

Shooting towards someone's head is a good way to hit them in the head is it not? So what happens if said bad guy zigs when he should have zaged and you tag him in the grape? How do you explaine that one to the Host Nation?
Old September 1, 2008, 11:38 PM   #52
.300H&H

A warning shot can be a bad habit ie. it's something one shouldn't be conditioned to do...BUT never say never ie. there's situations where it
might do more good than harm.

Anecdotal: I knew a lady who was at home when she heard a local thug<bad neighborhood>beating up on one of her young teenage sons. She came out of the house and saw the thug on top of her son<no clear shot> in their yard... She yelled for the thug to get off her son...and there was no response. She then pulled out her .380 and fired a warning shot into the air above... She got everybody's attention. The thug turned on her and pulled out a knife. She shot the thug in the arm, and he ran off...and he was later apprehended.

Anecdotal: Waaaaay out in the country far from a quick police response, a gentleman heard something out in his yard in the weeee hours of the dark morning... Lo and Behold somebody was messing with his car - stealing it?
Rather than go out and confront the stranger, and not wanting to watch his car get stolen or otherwise diminished, he decided to take out his 12ga. shotgun and do a little shooting at the moon through an open upstairs window. The stranger ran off.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:33 PM   #53
tvrobert

Here's a good reason why warning shots are a bad idea. Despite being just plain ignorant, the shooting puts responsible gun owners in a bad light. Not helpful.

For the record, it does not matter whose sign was in the yard. The 1st amenedment is just as important as the 2nd. Both are freedoms I want to keep and will die for if needed.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:42 PM   #54
Recon7

not a very relevant example when we are talking about SD also the thread is about 2 months old.
Old October 29, 2008, 07:50 PM   #55
tvrobert

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recon7
not a very relevant example when we are talking about SD also the thread is about 2 months old.
Fair enough. I did a search for "warning shots" and this thread came up. I didn't want to start a new thread. No reason to give such an idiot any undue prominence.
Old October 29, 2008, 08:21 PM   #56
Tuckahoe

If you do not believe someone is a threat you shouldn't have a gun in your hand to start with. If the person is a threat and your life is in danger all shots should be directed at that person to stop the threat.
Old October 29, 2008, 09:13 PM   #57
onthejon55

The only warning shot ill ever give a BG is an unintentional miss and you better bet the follow up shot is gonna hit the mark
Old October 29, 2008, 09:34 PM   #58
armedandsafe

A couple of paragraphs from my training manual:

"Pull your gun ONLY if you feel you or someone else is on mortal danger. Then shoot if the danger does not stop immediately."

"Take note that you are to shoot only to stop whatever is endangering you. The ground in front of you is not endangering you. The air above you is not endangering you. Don't shoot them. Shoot the danger, to stop the danger."

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old October 29, 2008, 09:46 PM   #59
BuckHammer

If you're gonna fire a warning shot, you might as well just yell, "Hey I'm over here, SHOOT ME!!!" Also, it displays what might be interpreted as an unwillingness to kill, which the BG can only use as leverage against you. No matter how willing you are to kill, a warning shot is an all around bad idea.

Another note on this. discharging a firearm is no small thing. When you pull the trigger, it must be to do something. Firing a warning shot can be a reckless endangerment of those around you. The typical warning shot is into the air, and bullets do in fact, come down. Even if you shoot into the ground, warning shots are still a bad idea.
Old October 30, 2008, 09:29 AM   #60
easyG

If I feel that the situation is such that I need to draw my pistol, then the bad guy only gets one verbal warning.

And maybe not even that depending on the situation.
Old October 30, 2008, 01:48 PM   #61
One308

Warnings are verbal.

If you are scared or theatened enough to unholster it,make it count.If you are dealing with issues on taking said persons life,leave your weapon at home.
Old October 30, 2008, 02:17 PM   #62
JasonG

Warning shots violate:
Rule # 2
Don't point a gun at anything you're not willing to destroy.
Rule #4
Be aware of your target and what's beyond.
And maybe
Rule #3
Keep your finger off the trigger..........
What target would your sights be on??
Old October 30, 2008, 03:06 PM   #63
M1911

Warning shots also throw away a round that you might need.
Old October 30, 2008, 03:08 PM   #64
GHF

Florida

Here they are illegal.

Tactically, if you have an established threat of death and/or serious bodily injury, you should be firing to stop the threat as soon as possible. The BG does not deserve any warning, as look as they are on the Dark Side of the Threat Line.
Old October 30, 2008, 03:39 PM   #65
KUHIO

Warning shots are perfectly fine when directed into the assailant's chest.
Old October 30, 2008, 03:56 PM   #66
freakintoguns

my warnign shot: .45 hollowpoint to the chest. that doesnt work? hollowpoint to the brain. god forbid i ever have to sdo that , but if i have to i will. if im at home then its 12 gauge deer slugs
Old October 30, 2008, 04:20 PM   #67
computerguysd

I just finished reading the North Dakota code, section 62.1 & I don't see anything pertaining to firing a warning shot. The section I read was updated in 2007.
Old October 30, 2008, 05:02 PM   #68
Huntergirl

NO No NO. Once its drawn and the threat continues, 2 to the chest 1 to the head. Stop the threat.
Old October 30, 2008, 06:12 PM   #69
Scattergun Bob

Remember folks that the OP is stating he is operating under rules of engagement in a foreign land.

Revisiting Dave's post, THE GOOD news is that the OP is allowed a LOADED weapon, many times in many places guard duty is stood with a unloaded weapon.

Warning shots are or aren't the plan of the day depending on the commanding officer. Violate the plan and suffer the Uniform Code of Military Toughness!!!! This isn't Kansas, Dorothy.

Stay safe and keep a low profile
Old October 31, 2008, 08:24 AM   #70
nra_guns_winner

Warning shot? Well I say if someone is in my house other than me, and I felt a threat from them due to the current activity in my home I'd get a visual and drop him. If I was in line at the grocery store during a hold up, I'd give the robber my attention but not unload on him until the situation became real serious. Warning shots are just not a good idea. My warning shot would probably be a gut shot instead of a head shot.
Old October 31, 2008, 09:58 AM   #71
OldMarksman
Staff

From NukeCop:
Quote:
So who thinks a warning shot is a good/necessary thing to do? Any LEO's/CCW permit holder wanna weigh in on this?
First, as has been discussed, the answer is likely to be very different for a U. S serviceman on a CONUS or foreign base than for a person in a personal defense situation within or outside of the home.

Second, it is very likely that only some CCW holders are really qualified to offer a really meaningful opinion: primarily, those who are attorneys, and even then, probably only for their states or municipal areas.

As previously stated there's probably no single answer.

But: two themes in the replies so far seem rather persuasive to me:
  • There is great potential liability inherent in the obvious risk of hitting someone. Massad Ayoob provides some real examples in a couple of his books.
  • The shot or shots deplete your resources.

In my CCW class, we were advised very strongly to never fire a warning shot--"you either have to use deadly force or you do not." I would suspect that where I live firing a warning shot would constitute the illegal discharge of a firearm, but I'm not sure about that.

There was a case in New Mexico some years ago where a person intended to fire a warning shot and hit an assailant. The prosecution claimed that because the hit was not intentional, she was not entitled to a self defense claim, and she was convicted of negligent homicide. The case was, as I understand it, overturned on appeal, and the defendant was granted a new trial. I do not know the ouctome.

In my lay opinion it may be more risky to fire a warning shot than to wait until deadly force cannot reasonably be avoided and to apply it accordingly.

However, that is worth just what you paid for it.

Would any of the qualified attorneys on the forum care to contribute?
Old October 31, 2008, 10:13 AM   #72
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Since the thread is at 3 pages and I never was bored enuff to entertain myself with it until now I am sure this has been said already... A warning shot is just a waste of fine ammo!
Brent
Old November 12, 2008, 12:32 AM   #73
Conan1

Kentucky has the "Stand your ground law". I 'm definitely in fear of my life. Center body mass.
Old November 12, 2008, 04:34 AM   #74
Hook686

2008-08-29, 11:34 AM #37

NukeCop wrote:

[QUOTErules applicable to rioters, guard duty situations where sabotage may be a problem, kids throwing rocks, protests? Out with it, my man!

Well, I'm an Air Force cop... Unless we're being shot at, we HAVE to use 2 warning shots. Protests, and rioters have been dealt with twice since I've been here. They (the TuAF) have us retreat, then handle it the best they can. Never have had hostilities that required a shoot scenario here, so we haven't had to put the rule to the test.

A lot of us know its a terrible idea to fire warning shots, but we will be held accountable by host nation courts for failure to comply...
][/QUOTE]

A lot of time has passed and you are under host country rules when on host country territory. When I was in the AF in the late 1960's I was on the 'Riot Control Unit'. After Kent State (students shot by guardsmen that had loaded weapons), the AF took ammunition away from the front line troops. We marched ('T-berry shuffle') in close line formation with fixed bayonets. A few guys with magazines were behind the front line and were designated 'Snipers'. These were the only guys with ammunition. If a real full blown riot developed, I think the situation would have sucked as bad as your orders to fire warning shots.

Odd that the AF would now issue ammunition to riot control troops. Are you in a designated war zone ?

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 12, 2008, 02:51 PM   #75
foghornl

If you are in the Military, anywhere, yeah the "Rules Of Engagement" can be a major PITA.

That being said, when I am at home, my warning shot consists of the "Snick!" of the Fire Control Group being set to "Operate"