The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 3, 2007, 06:14 PM   #1
CrustyFN

223 help

I bought some W748 and BL-C(2) to load 223 and noticed my manual calls for magnum primers with those two powders. I screwed up and bought normal Win small rifle primers. I was going to load 5 of each with those primers to see if they work but wanted to see if anybody else has tried these combo's before and did they work? Should I not try it and just buy some mag primers? Thanks for any help.
Rusty
Old April 3, 2007, 07:40 PM   #2
Scorch

I load 748 with standard WW small rifle primers. Works fine. I only start to worry about primer types when I get into belted mags.
Old April 3, 2007, 11:05 PM   #3
hoghunting

Like Scorch, I load 748 with WSR primers and get pretty close to the stated velocities.
Old April 4, 2007, 02:11 AM   #4
amamnn

I got in the middle of that old ball powder/magnum primer debate some time back and ended up talking to some techs at Winchester who were dead set against magnum primers unless it was a magnum cartridge with any winchester powder. Same thing was said by Hodgon about their ball, oops I mean spherical powders, too.

I had never loaded any mag primers in a .223 rem and was using H335, or 748 if I could not get H335 locally. I bought some mag primers just to experiment with and other than a jump in pressure, I didn't see a lot of difference, except that my groups opened up a bit at 300 yards.
Old April 4, 2007, 05:35 AM   #5
CrustyFN

Thanks for the info.
Rusty
Old April 4, 2007, 08:08 AM   #6
rwilson452

powders

I just got into the AR game. I bought a Bushy 16M4ORC. the 16 is for a 16" barrel. I note most of the 223 people on here that shoot the AR have longer barrels and usually heavy barrels. All the data manuals I have are for the longer barreled AR. I seem to be having some difficulty finding a load for the shorter barreled AR. I will grant you the cheaper Sierra 55gr FMJBT bullets will not be the most accurate. I still think I should be able to get better than 2MOA out of them. Suggestions?

Sorry for the hijack but it is mostly on topic.
Old April 4, 2007, 08:43 AM   #7
RERICK

rwilson452

I had better luck with the 62 fmj. and H335 in my 16 in barrel. I also found a good source for milsurp 62 grain bullet heads. If your interested PM me. I
Old April 4, 2007, 09:22 AM   #8
Swamprabbit

I've shot W748 with standard WSR primers and have gotten excellent results.