The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 1, 2006, 09:03 PM   #1
GASCHECK

Die For Lee?

SHOOTERS:

I just got a Lee classic turret press and like it. My friend wants to start reloading and probably also will buy one.
How good are Lee dies? I have nothing but RCBS and the Lee's would be a substantial savings for him. Just handgun calibers for a start.
I bought a .45-70 Lee collet crimp die many years ago and didn't like it. :barf:

Thanks! Gascheck
Old June 1, 2006, 09:45 PM   #2
Vitamin G

I have had zero problems with Lee dies in 44mag, 10mm, 45acp, and 30-06. I can't give you any comparisons though, lee is all i own in terms of dies.
Old June 1, 2006, 09:53 PM   #3
armedandsafe

My experience with LEE dies and other products over the past 50 years has been outstanding.

Pops

If it time to bury them, it is time to dig them up.
Remember, "Behind every blade of grass."
Old June 1, 2006, 10:25 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

Lee pistol dies are as good as any, better than some, and it ain't as critical with pistol, anyhow. The ability to mount a powder measure on top the expander die is extremely useful.
Old June 1, 2006, 10:35 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

Ditto to all the above. Lee is very innovative. Their factory crimp die for rifle rounds is one of those things that improves some load combinations and messes with others, so don't judge them on your experience with that particular product alone. I believe they are still the only die maker that hones their rifle sizing dies to guarantee roundness? They have excellent customer service and will correct any problem you might have. They just don't put money into cleaning up machined surfaces where it won't improve function, so they don't always look as expensive as the competition. And they aren't. They get it right where it counts, though.

Nick
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old June 1, 2006, 10:40 PM   #6
roy reali

One More Thing

They also include a shell holder with their die sets. That alone almost sells the brand as far as I am concerned.
Old June 1, 2006, 11:33 PM   #7
Ifishsum

I really prefer Lee pistol dies, the price savings and shellholder is a bonus. The powder through expander feature is a timesaver.
Old June 1, 2006, 11:50 PM   #8
Kayser

If you're looking for pistol reloading - here's the best reason to use Lee dies : they come in 4-die sets. With the extra 4th die being the factory crimp die. So the bullet seating and crimping steps are seperate. This is an excellent way to do things. Gives you reliable, repeatable bullet seating depths and crimps. I use Lee dies exclusively for pistol reloading (45 acp, 44 mag, 357 mag, 50ae).
Old June 2, 2006, 12:46 PM   #9
gandog56

Yeah what he said. I use nothing but Lee dies and have had only one set that had a problem. The through the powder die for my .400 Cor-Bons was putting a crimp in about every tenth case. I called Lee and they promptly sent me a new expander plug for free.
Old June 2, 2006, 09:10 PM   #10
GASCHECK

Lee To Die For?

Shooters:
Thanks for the feedback. A 100% thumbs up for Lee! dies. I will recommend them to my friend.

I still don't know how they can make that iron classic turret press and sell it at such a low price!

Gascheck
Old June 2, 2006, 10:17 PM   #11
270Win

My Lee dies have all been excellent quality.
Old June 3, 2006, 12:08 AM   #12
JJB2

since i use a couple of single stage presses all i use is lee speed dies!! now there's an innovative idea! you'd have a real hard time trying to get me to switch from LEE CARBIDE SPEED DIES..............
Old June 3, 2006, 09:21 AM   #13
BigJakeJ1s

I've had decent luck with some Lee dies, especially the bottleneck FCDs. If you are loading pistol ammo on a single stage press, as I am, separate crimping after seating is one more step that can be eliminated if you trim your brass to uniform length once in a while, and take the time to adjust your seat/crimp die to do both.

I'm not too fond of Lee seating dies. I don't like the rough feel of the aluminum on steel threads of the seater screw. And the seating plug has too much play for my liking, making it too easy to seat bullets crooked.

I really don't like Lee lock rings. I never seem to remember to loosen the die by the lock ring, so it always moves, and I end up having to re-adjust the die.

I usually prefer Hornady dies, especially their seater dies. They just seem to work better for me, both in crimping (even better results than the Lee FCD in 45 colt), and in seating, where the sliding alignment sleeve really seems to help straigten the bullet to the case before seating it.

Hornady Lock rings are the best in the business, IMHO. They combine clamping action (rather than o-ring or set-screw) with wrench flats, the only ones to do so. I put them on all my dies, regardless of brand (Lee, RCBS, or Hornady).

Andy
Old June 6, 2006, 09:26 PM   #14
joecad

get the

get the carbide set...its worth the extra $
Old June 7, 2006, 03:07 PM   #15
Poodleshooter

I love them,and actually prefer their lock rings to the annoying set screw adjusted ones on my redding and rcbs dies. Those rings never stay put for me,but the Lees are great if you remove the dies using the lock rings.
They're also easier to remove stuck cases from in most cases.
I don't crimp rifle rounds,so the crimping ability of their seater dies is generally moot for me as far as rifle dies go.
The FCDs have worked quite well for my handgun ammunition.
Old June 7, 2006, 03:49 PM   #16
Donaldo

Granted I'm reloading rifle rounds (and only been doing it for a couple years at that), but I only own Lee dies and have no complaints so far. They are the first dies I ever bought and may be the last ones as well. I load .270 WIN, .30-30 WCF, 8mm Maus, and 7.5mm Swiss. I use the full length dies as well as the collet dies for everything but the .30-30 (I have two leverguns and full resize only).

I have reloaded with no other dies and have no plans to do so.

Almost forgot to add, they are also some of the lowest priced dies I have seen, though not cheaply made.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old June 7, 2006, 05:29 PM   #17
Buckythebrewer

WELL I would say thats pretty conclusive!! I would also like to add I use regular old lee pacesetter and collet dies(not safe in auto loaders without extra loading technic + equipment)) and shoot my ar15 consistently accurate to under M.O.A. accuracy out to 625yrds..No special expensive dies here and Ive grouped a near 1/8" center to center 5 shot group and some under 1/2"groups @100yrds..Lee products are an OUTSTANDING VALUE..especially for handgun reloading..
Old June 8, 2006, 09:16 AM   #18
lee n. field

I don't care for their lock ring. Otherwise, I've had no problems with Lee dies.
Old June 8, 2006, 10:00 AM   #19
MADISON

Lee Dies

Lee dies are good but...
[1] Their thredding is short for any other manufacturers press.
[2] Lee's seater is plastic.
Old June 8, 2006, 11:27 AM   #20
Donaldo

Madison,

I use Lee dies in an older RCBS press with no problems.

As for the bullet seater, I use thier dead length seater. I don't think it's plastic, and it takes only one or two test rounds to get it just right before setting the lock ring. Once set, it's consitent all the way to the end, even consistent after die removel and re-installation using the lock ring.
Learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow. - Isaiah 1:17
Old June 8, 2006, 03:14 PM   #21
Buckythebrewer

I second Donaldo on the dead length bullet seater..It is spot on every time..
Old June 8, 2006, 03:40 PM   #22
donkee

All my dies (rifle and pistol) are LEE. I haven't run into any plastic parts on any of them. I did replace the lock rings with Hornadys. Other than the rings, I have no complaints and no reason to buy anything else.....