The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old July 11, 2005, 12:12 AM   #1
bjmanersr

glock 27

I recently baught a glock 27 (40 cal) and everything i see or read says dont reload for it.WHY????????
Old July 11, 2005, 08:33 AM   #2
tlm225

Most manufacturers tell you not to shoot reloads for liability reasons. The glock, the 40 caliber mostly, has developed a reputation for "Kaboom's", usually case head separations. Many explanations are given. No case support at the six o'clock position in the chamber, the high pressure of the round, hot loads etc... I have had a KB in my first glock 40, a model 22 which I believe was caused by a fellow officers hot reload (I later found out that his load had also KB'd in a Sig). In my case the case separated leaving the forward portion of the case lodged in the chamber, the magazine blew out and the extractor went into low earth orbit.
With that being said I have reloaded for the glock .40 for about 8 years with no problem. I use only jacketed bullets, stay in the middle range of the recommeded loads and stick with the slower powders from the load charts. Thousands of rounds later I've had no exciting moments. I'm sure that some one with both more knowledge and experience will come along and fill in whatever gaps I've left. Good luck with your G-27. I've had mine for about 7 years and am happy with it.
Old July 11, 2005, 09:08 PM   #3
bjmanersr

G27

Thanks Tlm!!!!!!!!!
Old July 12, 2005, 12:19 AM   #4
b_ionian

I just began reloading for my new Glock 27 as well. I think many of the stories you hear about KB's can be attributed to poor reloading practice rather than gun design. You should stick with quality brass (I use Winchester), and avoid faster burning powders. Start out with the minimum load data in manuals. I use the Speer manual and began with 6.7gr of Winchester WSF powder under a 155gr Remington JHP bullet. This load was very accurate and the Glock cycled well. Start your loads with only a few rounds to make sure the pistol digests them properly. Once you have established proper function, then you may load a larger number of rounds. Also make sure your OAL (over-all length) is in accordance with that recommended in the manual. For me that was 1.120" as a target, although because of bullet shape there was some variation between rounds.

Bullet set-back is a risk, so you might want to load about 9 dummy rounds, measure them, run them through the glock a few times under the full force of the slide, then re-measure them to make sure your bullet seating is good and the crimp is sufficient. You don't want to experience any set-back in excess of 0.001 - 0.002".

If you are particularly nervous, you can invest in a competition-grade aftermarket barrel, such as a KKM or Bar-sto. These offer a tighter chamber and more support at the 6:00 position.