The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old August 25, 2002, 01:01 PM   #1
The Gun Shop

Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine

I just got a Demro/Foxco TAC-1 carbine in 45acp. Ineed any info I can get on this firearm. Would like an owners manual/parts list/take down instructions. Does anyone have one of these? If so I need the specs on the xatractor so I can make one or do you know who may have spare parts for this gun. Thanks for any help you can give. Brian
Old March 11, 2007, 02:52 PM   #2
trapper john

fox-demro carbine

hope you got my first message. theres more--- yes, i have a demro tac-1 carbine original owner-instruction manual. also a .45acp fox carbine. the4 reciever on these needs a hard plastic shock- buffer to work properly, of which i have made several and they fit and function perfectly. question: do you know of anyone out there in the internet ectoplassm who also owns one of these fox-demro carbines? I'm looking for the 9mm bolt face insert that converts it to 9mm--also the sten magazine adaptor the allows 9mm mag use in the M-3 greasegun mag well . tour last posting was back in 2004 so i hope you're still around (. so to speak). You or ANYONE out there who owns or knows the whereabouts of parts for this weapon-- please leave me an e-mail.thanks-- trapper john--- in the north woods of minnesota.
Old March 11, 2007, 03:19 PM   #3
trapper john

fox-demro 45acp carbine

brian: even though your last post is 3 years old-- i reply: yes, i also reciently purchased one of these wonderful weapons. i have the original owners-instruction manual AND an original 1974 gun magazine article on the weapon. it uses the old WW-2 M-3 greasegun mag. and is one of the few weapons left out there that the atfe still allows law abiding citizens to own in semi-auto form that fires from an open bolt. i think the design is as good as the venerable thompson yet doesnt weigh a ton. the reciever on this requires a hard rubber-plastic shock-buffer of which i have custom made several and they work good. the original had deteriorated and fell from the reciever looking like chunks of old cheddar cheese.if you or ANYONE out there has a fox-carbine or knows of other owners or who might have inherited some of the factory parts from tri-c corp. or dean machine co. of mariden, conn. please send me an e-mail thanks out there. ---trapper john, in the north woods of minnesota
Old March 12, 2007, 01:40 AM   #4
The Gun Shop

Fox--Demro Carbine

John; Thanks for the reply. I would like to buy one of the buffers and would be willing to pay for a copy of the instruction manual. The one I have is in the original case. Brian
Old April 8, 2007, 06:47 PM   #5
Alegend

Hi guys, I just recently purchased a Foxco Carbine, I'm looking for a manual and anything else suggestions/parts that you fellows could help me out with to keep this thing running right. Thanks, in advance... Email; me with cost ect....
Old April 8, 2007, 06:49 PM   #6
Alegend

Hey trapper I would also like a copy of that magazine article, or could you post the exact mag, I'd probably find one on ebay, Thanks again, Steve.
Old July 7, 2007, 04:43 PM   #7
gunner79

looking for info on Demro XF-7 WASP CARBINE 9MM

hi i am looking for info on Demro XF-7 WASP CARBINE 9MM i shot it and it jammes up the spent brass will not leave the gun after 3 shots
i am also looking for parts and a maunal for this gun will pay for them please let me know thanks [email protected]
Old July 8, 2007, 10:03 PM   #8
.351winchester

Anyone got a pic? I love guns like that, "assault" carbines and pistols from small companies in the era I grew up. This one I never heard of.

BTW, re: the ATF shutting down open bolt semi's, what are the regulations? I think I read something about MAC's and KG-99's in 1982 being forced to change to closed bolt only, but I didn't know there was any restrictions on the ones that had been purchased?
Old July 9, 2007, 06:39 AM   #9
MMcfpd

Here's a picture of a Tri-C Fox Wasp Carbine:

Tri-C was the predecessor to Demro; from what I understand Demro picked up production of essentially the same gun when a fire forced Tri-C out of business in 1977.

And here's a picture of the buffer in its "cheddar cheese" state:

I currently have the gun at a smith's who's trying to create a buffer. It would be great to be able to contact trapper john.
Old July 14, 2007, 05:43 PM   #10
dawgness

Did anyone ever find a replacement buffer? I too am in need of one and would like to buy or get instruction on how to make one.
Old July 14, 2007, 05:57 PM   #11
MMcfpd

dawgness, send me an email.
Old July 16, 2007, 09:28 PM   #12
dawgness

If I understand correctly, this is what happens without the buffer, or if shot much with a deteriorated buffer. Would think that should be avoided.

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=8085984
Old July 16, 2007, 10:20 PM   #13
MMcfpd

Yep, that is one cracked receiver. I'll be a little surprised if they sell it.
Old July 17, 2007, 01:15 PM   #14
dawgness

I agree. Wonder how well that potmetal welding stuff works?
Old October 12, 2007, 10:36 PM   #15
Modat5

I just picked up one of these recently, from a lady whose husband had died not too long ago. I had know idea what it was when I bought it, but it was so odd looking I figured learning about it would be worth the purchase.

It's a Fox Carbine by TRI-C in pretty good shape.

I would like a copy of an owners manual and a new buffer if anyone is selling them. I've not yet taken it appart to see what condition the buffer is in.

Does anyone know how you can determine what the combination is?
The lady I bought it from had no idea. I would assume I could take it to a gunsmith and they may be able to figure it by taking it apart? It's currenlty not locked, but I would like to know what it is.

Also what are these worth? I have no idea if I paid to much or too little?

Thanks,

Dud
Old October 13, 2007, 10:21 AM   #16
MMcfpd

Earlier this year I picked one up almost NIB (pictured above). The buffer had deteriorated, so I had a local gunsmith make me a new one out of Delrin:

It installs pretty easily and works just fine.

This gun fires from an open bolt, which means the (rather heavy) bolt slams forward when you pull the trigger. This has so far resulted in terrible accuracy at 50 yards - perhaps I just need a little more practice. It uses unmodified grease gun magazines. For me the grip safety seems a little high and I have to think about compressing it when firing. I have several .45 handguns with grip safeties and I don't experience this with them.

What follows are scans of all the documentation of which I'm aware.

Promo:

My warranty may be expired.

Take down:

Zero-zero-zero is the default combination for the safety lock, but there are only 999 other possibilities so I suppose you could figure it out in a few afternoons of watching TV. Here are scans of the lock documentation:

And finally, a letter from Tri-C:

In case that's hard to read, here is the text:
Code:
                    TRI-C CORPORATION
                   34 CAMBRIDGE STREET
                MERIDEN, CONNETICUT 06450
                  TELEPHONE 203-238-2838

Be sure grip safety is depressed while firing, as if the
grip is released just after pulling the trigger, the bolt will
recoil and slide up the blocked sear jamming the carbine.
This is a safety precaution to prevent the gun firing if it is dropped.
     English soldiers jumping off a truck with the STEN gun
(also fired from an open bolt) slung over their shoulder, found
that the bolt would drop, pick up a round and shoot the man
behind them.  This we don't want to happen.
     Please clean Bolt Face and Chamber and lightly oil
after firing.
     Brass will accumulate under bolt and bolt face.  This is
intentional to delay blowback and does no harm.
     We suggest you use American made ammuntion as some European
primers are too heavy to fire properly.
Quote:
Also what are these worth? I have no idea if I paid to much or too little?
Determining market value for something with near zilch market presence is at best guessing. I paid $750 for mine and I'll never sell it for less. On the other hand, I doubt I'll ever sell it very easily.

Hope this helps. Welcome to the fraternity of rare gun owners.
Old October 17, 2007, 11:51 AM   #17
jprice7

Parts Kit For Demro Gun For Sale On Auction Arms

http://www.auctionarms.com/search/di...temnum=8261132

Would this make a Good Parts Kit
Old October 17, 2007, 07:00 PM   #18
Modat5

Thank you so much MMcfpd!

I've checked the buffer and it's looks like bad cheese. I will have to get a new one made.

Hey I've not been able to remove the stock yet. When I press the button as in step one, it only moves a tiny bit and I don't "feel" anything disengaging to allow the stock to be removed. Any ideas?

Are there different style grease gun mags? The two that I have are a bit different from each other, but neither seems to latch into place in the magwell?

Next up, what does the combination lock actually lock?

Thanks,

Dud
Old October 23, 2007, 03:20 PM   #19
SLANTNOSE1

Grease Gun Mags

Hi, I am new to the board and this is my first post. You asked about different grease gun mags. I know several different weapons that used "grease gun mags" but most were altered from the standard M3A1 Grease Gun Magazine configuration by altering the mag catch slot. Some were enlarged to be wider, some to be a little higher, so it would latch in the correct place for the particular type weapon it was to be used on. An example or two would be, the R.P.B. open bolt M10A1 SAP .45, they used grease gun mags, but the locking slot was altered, as was the ENCOM MP45, another Georgia fun gun, it used the grease gun mags also, but it also had a modified latching slot. There was very little actually changed, but enough to where the mag would not latch in place, if you were not using an altered mag. Hope this helps, Tony.
Old October 25, 2007, 08:41 PM   #20
Modat5

Thanks Tony,

The two mags I have do have the catch slots in slightly different spots. One is up higher than the other. Maybe the two I have are not quite correct for this rifle?

I plan on taking the Fox to a gunsmith tomorrow and having him see if he can make me a new buffer and give the carbine a good once over. I will mention the mag issue to him as well.

Dud
Old January 3, 2008, 12:28 AM   #21
sniklac

Demro 9mm

I have a Demro TAC-1 in 9mm that I purchased a year ago (11/2006). It came in its original padded briefcase. Mine uses Sten magazines and shoots perfectly. (No buffer problems.) I do have the original manual, (it is only 4 pages (2 sheets of glossy paper, printed both sides.) I can make a photo copy if anyone still needs it.
Clarence

Old March 1, 2008, 01:45 PM   #22
trapper john

Fox- Demro Tac-1 Carbine Buffers Etc.

In the firing line posts several months ago there was mention of a poor fox carbine that someone had made the mistake of firing with a deteriorated or MISSING bolt recoil buffer {cringe}. The result? " hey!! look at that!! The whole back of the cast reviever cracked OFF !!!"-- Ya-- that happens when you fire one of these with no buffer to stop the 4 Lb.+/- bolt from knockng off the rear cast reciever [guaranteed in one to two rounds] Well-- So I read the post that the weapon was now reduced to "parts" [ie. junk] and thought maybe there is SOME way a person COULD repair the weapon so-- I bought the bloody thing and did an autopsy on it. -- The rear reciever WAS cracked clean off. I had several welding experts give their opinion as to re- welding the cast portion and they said it would be VERY difficult to get a good strong weld on this "unknown"metal and to make it strong enough to withstand the battering force it would take from the recoil spring AND bolt. Disappointed, I stared at the disassembled weapon and started thinking like a reciever. The answer was simple. Make a relatively quick and clean repair of the cracked part by using good old fashioned "JB"weld and then isolate the weak repaired portion from the recoiling bolt and recoil spring by welding a small steel upright plate to the rear of the the steel [upper] reciever. This plate, when in place would ride flush against the vertical forward face of the now repaired cast reciever-- thus takng ALL of the recoil force OFF of the repaired cast reciever and bringing it to bear against the new steel plate. Simple as brain surgery right?. So-- I tried it and it works. This was a great relief to me because I have always considered myself about two running nostrils above a complete idiot. BUT-- there is a MUCH simpler way to do all this. NEVER fire a Fox-Demro tac-1 carbine without FIRST checking to make SURE it has a good ,strong ,adequate recoil bolt buffer. And yes-- I DO custom make hand fitted buffers for this fine and rare weapon and I just hate to think that there is someone lurking out there that is about to launch one down range fron a nice fox carbine he never checked that the BUFFER is missing. Till next post-- keep shooting and be safe-- Trapper John
Old April 5, 2008, 12:41 PM   #23
Muhler

I just acquired a TAC-1 and it did not come with a buffer. I am very glad I did some research before taking this out to the range. Do you still make buffers and, if so, how much would you charge?

Many thanks.
Old April 6, 2008, 11:01 PM   #24
Silver-Fox

Need buffer also

I could use one to or if someone can tell me what material works best i could make one.
Thanks
Old April 7, 2008, 09:15 AM   #25
Muhler

Someone in a previous post said Delrin would work. A friend of mine on another forum suggested the same. Though he had never heard of this firearm, he said that is what is used in his PPSH-41 repro.